Rust!

The BAD Influence

Just went to take my disconnects off for a little ride. The lock pins provided by 4Wheelparts were so rusted I had to pound them out with a hammer and nail set ( how that got in my tool box I'll never know). Started looking around at other parts on my Rubicon Express lift and there's rust everywhere. I get that I live in Utah and they use salt all winter. I thought I was doing a good job of getting the Jeep washed regularly during the winter, either I completely failed, or RE is as cheaply made as members here have stated. (In my defense, I already had the lift on before finding this site).
So my question: Do other people in States using salt experience this much rust in just one winter, with EVO or other premium lifts?

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

Just went to take my disconnects off for a little ride. The lock pins provided by 4Wheelparts were so rusted I had to pound them out with a hammer and nail set ( how that got in my tool box I'll never know). Started looking around at other parts on my Rubicon Express lift and there's rust everywhere. I get that I live in Utah and they use salt all winter. I thought I was doing a good job of getting the Jeep washed regularly during the winter, either I completely failed, or RE is as cheaply made as members here have stated. (In my defense, I already had the lift on before finding this site).
So my question: Do other people in States using salt experience this much rust in just one winter, with EVO or other premium lifts?

Anything will rust regardless of the quality of the part if it's bare metal. Chances are your disco's didn't come with any type of coating on the pins. My JKS ones seemingly did - they haven't rusted whatsoever. Tractor Supply (I think is what it's called in the US?) should have replacement ones that will hold up better.

The BAD Influence

Anything will rust regardless of the quality of the part if it's bare metal. Chances are your disco's didn't come with any type of coating on the pins. My JKS ones seemingly did - they haven't rusted whatsoever. Tractor Supply (I think is what it's called in the US?) should have replacement ones that will hold up better.
Good idea. Thanks. I kept going back and forth from the JKS and RE booth at EJS last year. RE and 4Wheelparts gave me the biggest discount and threw the disconnects in for free. Thought I was doing great. Lesson learned, you get what you pay for.

Top Bottom