you know your a pilot when....

desertrunner

thought this might be kinda a fun thread for all those pilots here on WAL

today i started my drive from NM to MT and started thinking of all the funny shit i think about differently as a pilot doing every day things such as....

wishing my jeep had steering wheel trim while driving in gnarly cross winds haha

or when ever i want to check the weather i first go look at the TAF for the nearest airport..

and for the military guys when you ask you buddy when he is showing up at your house and he gives you a zulu time TOT and i dont think its strange at all haha

highoctane

Caught the Bug
When I was in flight school, I had an instructor that always used Zulu time for ground and flight school training sessions. Made you remember Zulu time without even really thinking about it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Steering wheel trim would be awesome.

I love that you can get overhead switches for accessories. Sometimes I pull back slightly on the steering wheel when slowing down. And I am going to light my drive way like a runway and taxiway.

desertrunner

Steering wheel trim would be awesome.

I love that you can get overhead switches for accessories. Sometimes I pull back slightly on the steering wheel when slowing down. And I am going to light my drive way like a runway and taxiway.

Right!!! i swear someone should invent steering wheel trim! cruise control is basically already throttle trim, just a little button on the back of the top of the steering wheel to reset center cant be that hard

p38

Caught the Bug
Flew for 40 + years, new to the jeeping thing. Just did the EJS in Moab - every time I got off-camber I tried to add rudder.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Moab would be a brutal trip for me, every peak, pinnacle, and ridge line would have me wondering how hard or how much they would be to land on.

I also do the same thing at home with the TAF when looking at weather for the weekend. Wife thinks I'm goofy for not just listening to the tv weatherman.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

OhNoTheJiggies

Cool thread. I'm just starting ground school for my private pilots in June. But reading some of yalls posts makes me think about the things I'm going to be learning.
I worked on jets for several years. But got out of that. Want to commission in the Air Force and be a pilot.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

Moab would be a brutal trip for me, every peak, pinnacle, and ridge line would have me wondering how hard or how much they would be to land on.

I also do the same thing at home with the TAF when looking at weather for the weekend. Wife thinks I'm goofy for not just listening to the tv weatherman.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
Haha YES as a helo guy driving through the mountains I'm constantly looking at random fields thinking of how I could land there. I actually today in the jeep found one of our mountain training sites that I landed in on Thursday night on NVGs

20170506_122630.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
19.8 year naval aviator (rotary wing), about to retire. You know you're a navy helo pilot when you look for a gas station at 1/2 tank.

My old bird....

View attachment 258688

Last edited:
Top Bottom