Tie rod adjustment sleeve seized

10abadilla/jk

I am trying to adjust my toe in/out and the tie rod adjuster sleeve is seized. I have tried heating it and have used penetrating oil. Cant seem to free it up. I tried adjusting it with the the tie rod end which is easy to thread in and out. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? The toe pitch is way off by like an inch or so.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
The tie rod sleeve shouldn't move. It's crimped on one end. The adjustment part is the circular thing on the driver's side. That turns after you loosen the bolt. After soaking it, try a large pipe wrench. If that doesn't work, time for a new tie rod assy. Crown has one for about 100 bucks or you can upgrade.

10abadilla/jk

The tie rod sleeve shouldn't move. It's crimped on one end. The adjustment part is the circular thing on the driver's side. That turns after you loosen the bolt. After soaking it, try a large pipe wrench. If that doesn't work, time for a new tie rod assy. Crown has one for about 100 bucks or you can upgrade.
The driver side tie rod end is the only thing that moves. It can thread in and out. But the adjuster sleeve on the driver side as well does not budge. Can I just thread in the tie rod end on the driver side to fix some of the toe issue I have?

WJCO

Meme King
The driver side tie rod end is the only thing that moves. It can thread in and out. But the adjuster sleeve on the driver side as well does not budge. Can I just thread in the tie rod end on the driver side to fix some of the toe issue I have?

You can. But the idea of the adjuster is so that you don't have to disconnect the tie rod from the knuckle. Just make sure when you clamp the nut down that the tie rod doesn't spin anymore.

10abadilla/jk

You can. But the idea of the adjuster is so that you don't have to disconnect the tie rod from the knuckle. Just make sure when you clamp the nut down that the tie rod doesn't spin anymore.
Ok. I'll try some more to free up the adjuster sleeve. If not then tie rod end it is. Thank you!

10abadilla/jk

I was finally able to free up the adjustment sleeve. I seemed to have dialed everything in within an 1/8 of an inch. It seems to Drive and handle a lot better. Not sure if it's just because I feel like I want it to or because of the adjustments I made. Either way I'm happy with the turnout.

WJCO

Meme King
I was finally able to free up the adjustment sleeve. I seemed to have dialed everything in within an 1/8 of an inch. It seems to Drive and handle a lot better. Not sure if it's just because I feel like I want it to or because of the adjustments I made. Either way I'm happy with the turnout.

Sweet. :thumb:

BaddestCross

I was dreading the possibility of having to park the jeep while waiting for a new tie rod. I'm glad I got it fixed. thank you!. How's everything look on your rig from this weekend?

Aside from the torn boot on the driveshaft, beat up cross member, and scraped up sliders, not bad. 😎

No more signs of oil leaking, so I think it was just blowing out the breather tube on the front diff because I was angled up so high. I'm still checking the driveway every morning for oil drops, but so far so good.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

10abadilla/jk

Aside from the torn boot on the driveshaft, beat up cross member, and scraped up sliders, not bad. 😎

No more signs of oil leaking, so I think it was just blowing out the breather tube on the front diff because I was angled up so high. I'm still checking the driveway every morning for oil drops, but so far so good.

Awesome. Yea I beat my control arm mounts up this past time. All in fun!

10abadilla/jk

I'm so glad jeep makes it easy to unbolt almost everything to replace it!

Top Bottom