Switch wired to only come on with ignition

jeepr13

Want to have a set of fog lights that are wired to only come on with the key turned on. Have a bad habit of leaving get my fogs on, but like them on during the day as running lights. Anyone know what extra slot in the fuse box will work for this? Going to use connectors to tap into that spot and still run and external fuse. Still going to have a switch in the Jeep, but want the lights to turn off if the key is not turned. Cheers!

Sent from my SM-T350 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeepr13

That might work, a switch and wires would be about $15 though vs $150 for the flashcal.... I do want a flashcal in the future but budget wise not sure I can right now. Good to know that it let's you do that though I didn't know that so thanks!

GraniteCrystal

That might work, a switch and wires would be about $15 though vs $150 for the flashcal.... I do want a flashcal in the future but budget wise not sure I can right now. Good to know that it let's you do that though I didn't know that so thanks!

If it sounds like it'd do what you want, I'd save and get that rather than start changing the wiring on the Jeep. It does lots of other things for you too.

3dpilot

I have the fogs as my daytime running lights with flashcal also. In addition, u can have the options to use high beam, parklights, etch. set as ur day time.

Sent from my SM-G920P using WAYALIFE mobile app

BigBoy

Procal will do it too. The way the canbus system is on the Jeep, I'd be scared of doing more damage than good messing with the wording. Plus if you have plans in the future that will involve a programmer, it's money well spent anyway.

Josh27

I spliced into a wire under the steering column (I forget which one) for the 12v going to the switches for my leds. Works great and never had any problems with it.

gheller

If you go to the fuse box, M6 is the ACC Power (20amp) for the cig lighter/power socket near your heater controls.

You can also just tap into that circuit behind the cig lighter.

Quadratec makes a 12volt power tap (and made in the USA) that plugs into the back of the lighter socket and the harness, is fuse protected, and allows you to easily tap into it with an open plug.
I bought this to power my dash cam and the LED lights on my rocker switches (once I finally hook it all up).
IMG_2110.jpg

Sent from Earth to Space and back...can ya give it a second!? WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Coop

Caught the Bug
If you go to the fuse box, M6 is the ACC Power (20amp) for the cig lighter/power socket near your heater controls.

You can also just tap into that circuit behind the cig lighter.

Quadratec makes a 12volt power tap (and made in the USA) that plugs into the back of the lighter socket and the harness, is fuse protected, and allows you to easily tap into it with an open plug.
I bought this to power my dash cam and the LED lights on my rocker switches (once I finally hook it all up).
View attachment 251694

Sent from Earth to Space and back...can ya give it a second!? WAYALIFE mobile app

M6 is correct for ignition sensing and power. My fuse was in the M7 position. The M6 is a half fuse position toward the driver side. You could use a tap-a-fuse in the M6 and extend the wiring out of the box to your lights you want on with ignition. This will make your dash power plug only available when the ignition is on, however.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Frydaddy

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom