The Fork In The Road

kttx740

Here's my dilemma - MY '07 JKU has 152k miles. She needs new tires and shocks.

I'd like to run 33's but at this point, with the high mileage, is it worth it to invest in a lift and bigger tires? I am thinking because I need to replace the shocks it would be a good time to put either a coil lift or a spacer lift on.

I am hoping to get at least another 50k miles out of this vehicle.

What would you do?

Sheaffadelic

Caught the Bug
Here's my dilemma - MY '07 JKU has 152k miles. She needs new tires and shocks.

I'd like to run 33's but at this point, with the high mileage, is it worth it to invest in a lift and bigger tires? I am thinking because I need to replace the shocks it would be a good time to put either a coil lift or a spacer lift on.

I am hoping to get at least another 50k miles out of this vehicle.

What would you do?

If you only want to run 33s you do not need a lift for a jk. They will fit at factory height.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I say buy the 33s, don't lift it, and if it craps the bed you can always take the 33s off and put them on your next vehicle or sell them :)

kttx740

It wouldn't hurt. Here's one thread:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?12272-33-s-on-stock-jeep

Here's my wife's, no lift on 33s and it is a 2011 with 165k on it:

View attachment 251712

View attachment 251713

Any rust on yours? That may be a deciding factor as well for how long you want to keep it and/or upgrade it.

That looks sharp!

I haven't noticed any rust. I have a little bit on the aftermarket bumper I have but the frame looks good IMO.

Is there any advantage to adding a lift in the long run? We run mostly greens and blues.

WJCO

Meme King
That looks sharp!

I haven't noticed any rust. I have a little bit on the aftermarket bumper I have but the frame looks good IMO.

Is there any advantage to adding a lift in the long run? We run mostly greens and blues.

Thanks. I don't know what greens/blues are, just because our trails here aren't marked (that I'm aware of) We took this out on a mild/easy trail (see pictures below of type of trail) and hit the belly crossmember and tcase skid a few times, so if we had a 2 inch lift on it, we likely would have cleared. We just ordered some Rock Hard skids for it to be safe and protect the oil pan and trans area. Other than that, no advantage if you aren't rubbing. Without a lift, it keeps your suspension geometry at factory and your center of gravity lower. IMO, if you aren't running anything bigger than 33s and are happy with the ride, keep the susp stock.

jeep (10).jpg

jeep (12).jpg

black pearl

Hooked
That looks sharp!

If your referring to the backroad and 4 wheel drive trail book marking (green/blue) 33s will be fine as most of the exploring in that book is done in a stock rubicon that has 32s even the red trails

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

kttx740

Thanks. I don't know what greens/blues are, just because our trails here aren't marked (that I'm aware of) We took this out on a mild/easy trail (see pictures below of type of trail) and hit the belly crossmember and tcase skid a few times, so if we had a 2 inch lift on it, we likely would have cleared. We just ordered some Rock Hard skids for it to be safe and protect the oil pan and trans area. Other than that, no advantage if you aren't rubbing. Without a lift, it keeps your suspension geometry at factory and your center of gravity lower. IMO, if you aren't running anything bigger than 33s and are happy with the ride, keep the susp stock.

View attachment 251715

View attachment 251716

Did you use any spacers to avoid rubbing?

JRUnlimited

I have a 185k on my 07 and continue to upgrade the stock components. I plan to get as many miles out of the engine as possible. When the engine goes I'll replace it with another. Maybe even try a engine upgrade.

kttx740

I have a 185k on my 07 and continue to upgrade the stock components. I plan to get as many miles out of the engine as possible. When the engine goes I'll replace it with another. Maybe even try a engine upgrade.

Other than replacing stock components, have you done any upgrades since you hit the higher mileage?

JRUnlimited

Other than replacing stock components, have you done any upgrades since you hit the higher mileage?

I bought my jeep used with a 100k miles on it. I did wheels the first year I owned it. Did a 4in lift around 150k and I'm getting ready to do new control arms/shocks/drive shafts this summer. This weekend I will be upgrading the exhuast to a high clearance one.

At this point the only way I'd get rid of my jeep is if I totaled it.

kttx740

I bought my jeep used with a 100k miles on it. I did wheels the first year I owned it. Did a 4in lift around 150k and I'm getting ready to do new control arms/shocks/drive shafts this summer. This weekend I will be upgrading the exhuast to a high clearance one.

At this point the only way I'd get rid of my jeep is if I totaled it.

Right on! We're in it for the long haul (I hope).

TRLJNKY

Right on! We're in it for the long haul (I hope).
Right there with you. I beat the crap out of mine with 155k, metric 35's, 2.5"bb, and its my dd. The way I look at it is part support is amazing. If I break it I will rebuild it with a better. With millions of these things on the road, one day the JK will be like the F150 or c/k series pickup at the wrecking yard. Plentiful. Most of those will be mall crawlers, grocery getters, or socker mom JK's also.Thats my bet anyway. Im into mine with the longhaul and will slowly be upgrading as the wife and wallet permit. Ive been building over the last three years but its been a slow process.

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
It's certainly worth doing for another 50,000 miles worth of driving. The cut flares an 33's is a great suggestion as it is low cost and not hard at all on your Jeep.

DGUTS

I had my '09 JKUR in Moab last year (Fins and Things, Hell's Revenge, Sevenmile Rim), and locally on some moderately aggressive trails.

No lift, no trimming on my fender flares, and running 33" Duratracs on stock wheels.

I was able to do much more than I expected with that set up.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom