Flat towing / Brake assist?

resqman911

Hey guys, I'm going on a trip in the next few weeks and thinking about flat towing the jeep. I have trailered it in the past, but never flat towed.

I'm curious if those of you who do flat tow use a brake assist, it it absolutely needed?

I will be towing behind my 2016 silverado quad cab.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mtb275

Most States, require it by law, but.......

I've flat towed a bunch without any brake assist, not saying you should, but I had no issues.

Most decent braking systems are around $1,000.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

resqman911

There are a couple inexpensive tow bar options out for connecting to the d ring mounts on my bumper and I thought it would be nice to flat tow to a couple of my planned trips, gives the wife a vehicle to drive when she doesn't want to come out on the trail with me

We flat tow behind our motorhome, I installed a M&G Brake system on the JK which works with the coach's air brake system, I think they offer a version to use with hydraulic brakes.........check their web site out. Great quality!!!!

Moochie

My main question is do I absolutely need a brake assist, or can I get away without it, and driving a little more cautiously while towing?

When some nimrod pulls out in front of you, you will realize how thankful you are for having a supplemental braking system on your Jeep. No matter how safe you think you are driving, someone else can ruin your day.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

icufltrn

I'll be watching this. We have a motorhome and have been looking into flat tow systems. It's hard to swallow the $3000-4000 quotes we have been given. We just got the motorhome and haven't gone antwhere so far that we have needed it but hope to expand how far we go and would be nice to be able to drive around when we get to destinations without having to disconnect everything.

Top Bottom