Winch bumper vs winch mount on stock bumper

Ixion

Hey gang.

As I plan out my build, I spent some time considering just what will I be doing in my Jeep? I may go to off road parks, but I'm unlikely to do it frequently..mostly for events. I've discovered overlanding ( I think it's called ) that still gets me off the paved roads into places most vehicles aren't going, but are less wear and tear on the Jeep. Well, less hard wear and tear.

I'm still very much new to this so I read a lot of stuff about things without full understanding. So, time to ask. I'm not inclined in either direction...stay stock or get a winch bumper. I know it's always wise to have recovery gear regardless of what you're doing, but it doesn't seem all gear is created equal. I'm fine with spending the money, but I'd hate to buy something high end that I end up using 1-2 times. But I don't want to take a cheap out and be in trouble when I actually need it.

Just looking for guidance on selecting the winch.

Ixion

Guidance on which winch? Or which bumper for winch?

I don't have a specific one for either. Sorry was a pretty general question. More trying to see if I can work with a stock bumper and a winch mount or if I need to go with a full winch bumper.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
In part it depends on which factory bumper you have. The 10a bumper has a provision for a winch but the winch plate is a bit expensive, roughly $200. That's a a good chunk of a winch bumper, depending what style you want. If you are staying 35 inch tires or less you shouldn't need to worry about tires rubbing on the bumper while flexing on the trail, so a full width bumper is ok although the end pieces just unbolt with the 10a. I have never researched mounting a winch on a standard bumper but they seem weak and I would assume a good winch plate kit would be expensive compared to a new bumper. Then again, it may not be. I would google search kits for your bumper and then check the vender section for a dealer.

Edit: Was looking at Mr. Ty's link where it says stumps. His winch mount looks pretty straight forward and simple to install on the standard bumpers plus it looks strong. Likely very affordable based on what I see of the design. So click his build link and check it out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom