Winch for JKUR HR

Resqnu

Hey guys,
I'm looking to purchase a winch for my 2017 JKUR HR. I plan to keep the stock HR bumpers. I have read reviews and threads on this forum, but having trouble pulling the trigger. I will only need a winch for easy to medium off-roading and learning about off-road winching techniques. Not looking to do any "tough stuff" where I would risk damaging my HR just yet..lol. This is my DD and primary vehicle. I was originally looking to purchase a Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500sr.

After lots of reading and a few discussions, I am leaning towards a Warn winch. Currently the Warn Zeon 10s is at the top of my list, but I’m open for discussion on all Warn winches. Why my change in thinking you may ask. Most of my wheeling will be in NC (UWharrie and Ridgeland area). I feel with the use the winch might see here, the less expensive winches would be adequate. I would mostly be with a friend and if not the trails get a lot of traffic. I am planning to make a few trips out west to explore the Colorado/Moab region in my JKUR with my family. Having the family with me exploring the CO area trails, possibly off-roading alone and being a long distance from civilization, I feel the need to go with a more premium winch brand. IMO, for these situations, I feel the winch becomes a more important safety tool, and feel safety should always be taken seriously. I also feel that once the new wears off my JKUR, then I will be looking for tougher trails and I build my jeep up even more for the harder trails. So the winch would be used even more. While discussing these concerns with my wife, she said it was a “non decision” go with the Warn. LOL…that was easy!!

I’ve been on a large Fire Dept for over 28 years and have used a winch plenty of times on our Heavy Rescue trucks. I personally can’t say I’ve had a bad experience with any winch, but I have only used warns. With that said, I’ve never used a winch off-roading and had to depend on a winch to safely return home from being out away from anything or anyone. I’m not knocking any brand or winch, but have read some of the cheaper winching not working when needed. I’m sure a few warns had had the same issues, but haven’t heard of them. Our Warns have always worked and from reading lots of others with the same success, I have made the decision to go warn.

What size winch do you guys recommend for off-roading the Colorado/Moab region with a JKUR HR? Current set up is Mopar 2” lift, 35” Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Hard Top and a few accessories. I will do mostly easy to medium trails. Heading on those trips for the incredible views and exploring with the family. I don’t plan on anything hard core or mudding, but know some mud comes with the territory.

Would like to hear true experiences on the Warns: Zeons, VR gen2s, and the M8000-s

Napalm

I have a Warn VR8k. It works well, I've never used it when I was stuck but I have pulled some stuff with it and messed with it.

I'd recommend any Warn just for the warranty alone. Even mine being the "china" Warn it still has a great warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MOX4x4

I have the Warn 9.5CTI mounted on a Rugged Ridge mount for the 10A/HR bumper. A bit pricey for the combo; looks good at the mall, haven't used it in on the trail yet.

9_5cti-s.jpg

11543.15.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
I have a Zeon 8s. The 8s I have used a number of times and it's great and I have a pretty heavy Jeep with a family of 5 and a lot of tools and gear. We went with a 10s we just bought this year for the other Jeep but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I can definitely say that the Zeon is a great winch.

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
I also have the 9.5 cti sitting in a mopar off road bumper on a 16 jku ... have yet to use it when out but have put it to use around the house on a few downed trees ... its one of the few things i hope i never need to use when out but glad that it is there in case i ever do need it as i do go solo a lot of the time when off a bigger trip to wherever i happen to feel like going ...

Resqnu

I have a Warn VR8k. It works well, I've never used it when I was stuck but I have pulled some stuff with it and messed with it.

I'd recommend any Warn just for the warranty alone. Even mine being the "china" Warn it still has a great warranty.

Thanks, I'm definitely going with a Warn. I've read lots of info to lead me that way.

Resqnu

I have the Warn 9.5CTI mounted on a Rugged Ridge mount for the 10A/HR bumper. A bit pricey for the combo; looks good at the mall, haven't used it in on the trail yet.

View attachment 252007

View attachment 252006

The Warn 9.5cti is sweet looking and a bad ass winch. I've used that winch on one of our trucks at the FD and has been bomb proof, the other is a 16,500 warn. A little more than I'd like to spend. Any reason you picked the RR mount? I've read on other forums guys using the Mopar or Maximus-3 mount. Just curious to help me make a decision on mounts. Any chance you can provide a few pics of your setup?

Resqnu

I have a Zeon 8s. The 8s I have used a number of times and it's great and I have a pretty heavy Jeep with a family of 5 and a lot of tools and gear. We went with a 10s we just bought this year for the other Jeep but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I can definitely say that the Zeon is a great winch.

Thanks, I haven't read any negatives about the Zeons. It seems to be a nice but tight fit on the HR bumpers. For my use, the 8s would probably be fine. But can buy the 10s for $100 more. You guys have the experience using these in off-road situations, I don't.

Resqnu

I also have the 9.5 cti sitting in a mopar off road bumper on a 16 jku ... have yet to use it when out but have put it to use around the house on a few downed trees ... its one of the few things i hope i never need to use when out but glad that it is there in case i ever do need it as i do go solo a lot of the time when off a bigger trip to wherever i happen to feel like going ...

Thank you, Would like to see a few pics. I agree that if/when I need a winch, I want one I have 100% faith in.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Thanks, I haven't read any negatives about the Zeons. It seems to be a nice but tight fit on the HR bumpers. For my use, the 8s would probably be fine. But can buy the 10s for $100 more. You guys have the experience using these in off-road situations, I don't.

Someone, maybe RockHard 4x4, posted about mounting one on a Hard Rock bumper with the RockHard mounting plate.

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
Thank you, Would like to see a few pics. I agree that if/when I need a winch, I want one I have 100% faith in.

i wouldn't have gotten anything else but a Warn even if i would have had to wait in order to get it .. hope these work for ya of course i do have others if needed 20170406_105209.jpg 20170406_105217.jpg DSC_3333.jpg

MOX4x4

The Warn 9.5cti is sweet looking and a bad ass winch. I've used that winch on one of our trucks at the FD and has been bomb proof, the other is a 16,500 warn. A little more than I'd like to spend. Any reason you picked the RR mount? I've read on other forums guys using the Mopar or Maximus-3 mount. Just curious to help me make a decision on mounts. Any chance you can provide a few pics of your setup?

I liked the design, cheaper than the Mopar. I didn't consider the Maximus-3. I replaced the hook with a Factor55 Splicer.

Unknown.jpg

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
You will not be disappointed buying a Warn. I bought a Zeon 10s after ditching my Smittybilt x2o (remote failed after 0 uses). I believe warn still has a rebate offer going right now but not sure.

Top Bottom