Fr&R Trutracs or Rear Locker

enfielded0405

So I am planning out future build goals and I am trying to decide between getting a front and rear trutrac or just locking the rear?

Background:

2010 2 door auto sport with leveling kit and 33's.

Plan to stay on 33"s or at most metric 35's (34.5 manufacturer spec).

On a budget so I will stay D30/D44. D30 would get gussets if I go 35 and may still regardless.

Plan to stay moderate trails/overland camp. No hardcore rock crawling or anything.

At the same time as this I would regear to 4.88.

Basically which would be more capable for the 99% of the time.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I would just lock the rear. And if you go ARB, they have a deal for another 3 weeks where you get a free compressor with a locker purchase.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Like WJCO mentioned, lock the rear and don't bother with the front other that gussets.

J

JKDream

Just a heads up - the truetrac doesn't lock up well for largeish tires.
Friend runs a front truetrac in his Dana 30, and anytime he is bound up it doesn't give enough torque to spin both tires.
Kind of a waste of money imo.

** He's on 33's.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
So I am planning out future build goals and I am trying to decide between getting a front and rear trutrac or just locking the rear?

Background:

2010 2 door auto sport with leveling kit and 33's.

Plan to stay on 33"s or at most metric 35's (34.5 manufacturer spec).

On a budget so I will stay D30/D44. D30 would get gussets if I go 35 and may still regardless.

Plan to stay moderate trails/overland camp. No hardcore rock crawling or anything.

At the same time as this I would regear to 4.88.

Basically which would be more capable for the 99% of the time.

Thanks

I'm in the process of doing the same exact thing as you. As of now I'm running 315/70/17 with 3.73 gears. I'm going with an eaton truetrac up front(d30) and an eaton e locker in the rear d44. I'm upgrading my ring and pinion to 4.56. Personally, I wouldn't go with 4.88 gears, especially if you're undecided between 33s and 35s. Good luck.

Kalums

Just a heads up - the truetrac doesn't lock up well for largeish tires.
Friend runs a front truetrac in his Dana 30, and anytime he is bound up it doesn't give enough torque to spin both tires.
Kind of a waste of money imo.

** He's on 33's.
Makes mine both spin very successfully, I've got 33s. Mine is the truetrac with the worm gears though I've seen some that were just posi Trac with clutch plates that claim to be Truetrac so... Or maybe something is wrong with his...

To the op Def lock the back ARB seems to be the winner in my research.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using WAYALIFE mobile app

enfielded0405

Thanks for the feedback. As I said I am on a tightish budget so the dual trutrack is about the same cost as just the rear locker. When the time comes I will go ARB or electric. More research to be done.

First skids, rockers, a new soft top.

Thanks again

Jeepfan30

Makes mine both spin very successfully, I've got 33s. Mine is the truetrac with the worm gears though I've seen some that were just posi Trac with clutch plates that claim to be Truetrac so... Or maybe something is wrong with his...

To the op Def lock the back ARB seems to be the winner in my research.

Mine locks up fine on 35" tires. I have video of my Jeep climbing rocks with both front tires spinning. I have heard that using synthetic gear oil with friction modifier reduces Truetrac effectiveness.

Last edited:

Kalums

Mine locks up fine on 35" tires. I have video of my Jeep climbing rocks with both front tires spinning. I have heard that using synthetic gear oil with friction modifier reduces Truetrac effectiveness.
I've heard that also, I just use a quality Dino in mine. I can honestly say that the Truetrac has been one of my favorite upgrades. Just wish I had regeared at the same time... Oh well, live and learn

jpone

I've heard that also, I just use a quality Dino in mine. I can honestly say that the Truetrac has been one of my favorite upgrades. Just wish I had regeared at the same time... Oh well, live and learn

What Dino oil weight are you using? I have a truetrac in the front with synthetic.

ACLakey

The geared truetrack is a very solid and reliable unit. I had them front and rear in one of my Toyota builds and it is amazingly capable.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Kalums

What Dino oil weight are you using? I have a truetrac in the front with synthetic.
Sorry it took so long to reply, I had my notifications off. I just use regular Valvoline gear oil in the weight that Eaton suggests, no modifiers or additives, it's been working great for me, but 90% of the time my Jeep is used as a DD and to go camping/exploring on the weekends with my kids. There have been a few times that I've had I wheel in the air and the truetrac has never failed to keep on moving with no fuss. Like I said it works great for me.

Ps I've only had to change the oil once since I had it installed, after the break in period, that's it. I'm sure Eaton has the recommendation either on their website or by email. I just can't remember if it was the 75-90 or 75-140. Sorry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom