You get what you pay for

cforgerson

I have gotten to know the idea "you get what you pay for" first hand in life including with my Jeep. I know for Jeeps this especially goes for winches, lights, armor, and anything else where it being made in the USA [emoji631] instead of China makes a huge difference. I was wondering if this goes for synthetic winch lines? I'm making the switch to synthetic and I was wondering if getting Warn Spydura is really $150 better/more reliable than competitors like Quadratec's Q-line or smittybilt's synthetic. Any experience with these is useful and thank you in advance [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
First of all, do not skimp on safety. There is no way I would knowingly buy a Chinese-made winch rope, too much risk IMO. I have run the Warn Sypdura and used it under a load with no issues. With my wife's, we went with Dyneema based on the reviews and to save a little cash, however, her winch will be used a fraction of how much we use mine.

cforgerson

First of all, do not skimp on safety. There is no way I would knowingly buy a Chinese-made winch rope, too much risk IMO. I have run the Warn Sypdura and used it under a load with no issues. With my wife's, we went with Dyneema based on the reviews and to save a little cash, however, her winch will be used a fraction of how much we use mine.

Okay thanks. I wasn't sure if there was a huge difference in quality for the rope but that helps a lot. I might just save up and get a VR10-S and not look back.

chuck79

Good idea. I bought a Chinese (tuff stuff) winch. I worked well for the first year. Then I was pulling a tree stump and blew the gear box. They sent me a new gear side. I put it in and it has worked for another 8 months but never the same. I get earn bulk at a trailer shop my family has so that I now have a warn.

kttx740

It's expensive to be cheap! [emoji106]

I had a dentist tell you, "you can pay me now or pay me later, but either way you're going to pay me." The same is true when it comes to vehicle maintenance and parts. Cheap out now and you're more than likely going to be paying for it later (and possibly way more money).

Now if your rig built just for show and you don't wheel, then I don't see anything wrong with cheaping out. But think, if you were skydiving, would you really want the cheapest paracord and shute?

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Okay thanks. I wasn't sure if there was a huge difference in quality for the rope but that helps a lot. I might just save up and get a VR10-S and not look back.

I got the ZEON 10s and I am really glad I upgraded from the steel line. You have to spool it yourself and it needs to be done under a load so it doesn't wedge into the loose coils underneath of the top layers. Having to handle the new rope to do this made me realize how light and easier to manipulate in a pulling situation it is. Like the others said, the extra bucks are totally worth it for the piece of mind alone and since you are going to get the VR10-S I think you are basically getting a bit of a discount from having bought steel and replacing it with synthetic. Good call on your part I'd say going this route.

Top Bottom