I feel every little rock, help

arobert3

My jeep seems to ride stiff and even the smallest rock I can feel in the drivers seat. After wheeling around I feel like my kidneys were used as punching bags. I am wondering what I can do to help soften the trail rides up. I looked into the rancho 9000xl that's adjustable but open to any tips or help. I have a 85 CJ7 with 5.5" lift, 35 inch tires, SOA, reversed shackles, rancho 5000 on rear, bilstein 5125? On front. 2017-04-07+10.23.18.jpg

Brought to you by the letters B and B

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
You're driving a 1985 CJ7.... if you want a more plush ride, look into a newer Jeep. Lol, the CJ7 is awesome, but it's an old Jeep.... new shocks will help, but it's always going to ride rough. It's a Jeep thing :)

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
What leafs do you have? I ran pro comp leafs on my CJ7, and they were unbearably stiff. I changed to Deaver springs and they were much better. Still stiff, as it's a leaf spring, but rode much better than before. No matter what, it's still a short wheelbase, leaf sprung vehicle.

Edit: What air pressure you run your tires at can make a huge difference as well. It's best to do the chalk test to see where you need to be specific to the weight of your CJ. I ran 33s on mine but if I recall correctly, I think I was running 28-30 psi. Don't hold me to that though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Also, just another though to throw out there. Have you looked into good suspension seats such as Mastercraft, Corbeau, Twisted seats, etc? A good quality suspension seat might help take the sharp edge off things. I absolutely loved my CJ7, but this has me thinking of those times on the highway I would hit big bumps and come clean out of the seat and touch the bikini top with my head. I would literally be dead if it weren't for seat belts lol!

Angry Aussie

I would recommend looking into the master craft seats. When I had stock seats in my rig and would hit the trails, my lower back would hurt so badly I would have to lay down for hours and try not to move. Once I put the master craft seats in, I don't have any more pain after hitting the trails. Wish I would have done it sooner.

arobert3

Also, just another though to throw out there. Have you looked into good suspension seats such as Mastercraft, Corbeau, Twisted seats, etc? A good quality suspension seat might help take the sharp edge off things. I absolutely loved my CJ7, but this has me thinking of those times on the highway I would hit big bumps and come clean out of the seat and touch the bikini top with my head. I would literally be dead if it weren't for seat belts lol!

Never thought of seats...always thinking of what is under the Jeep not under my bum...haha

wjtstudios

Hooked
I went to a YJ shackle conversion on my CJ8 from the pro comp and it made a huge difference. They are old man emu springs and OME bypass shocks. When I am on the trail I run it at 15 psi and at 32 psi on the roads running 33x12.5 BFG mud terrains. It's not as smooth my JK but is a lot less harsh when compared to most other CJs I've ridden in or driven. Most importantly, my kidneys are still in their right locations after a full day in the old jeep!

2015 JKUR AEV

desrt4x

22 is the lowest I have gone so far.

Lower the pressure when you get to the trailhead to 12 psi and take a nice little run to see how it feels, be sure to take something to air it back up for the street.

Top Bottom