Third Brake Light Options

kttx740

I'm adding a tailgate vent plate to my build plans. But I am hung up on the third brake light. If you have vent plate, how did you go about installing a third brake light?

If you're not going to run a carrier, you could opt for a trailer hitch mounted light. There's also combination license plate/3rd brake light setups for about $50 by a few manufacturers. I'm planning on getting a PS combo light for my Evo carrier.

gheller

I'm adding a tailgate vent plate to my build plans. But I am hung up on the third brake light. If you have vent plate, how did you go about installing a third brake light?

There's quite a few options out there. If you are also relocating your license plate to the tail gate cover you can get a plate mounting bracket that comes with license plate light and 3rd brake light together from Poison Spyder and Off Road Only.

ACE makes a tail gate vent cover with built in provision for your existing 3rd brake light. You can look that up in Quadratec. It's a nice solution if you don't mind the huge ACE logo in the design.

Sent from Earth to Space and back...can ya give it a second!? WAYALIFE mobile app

kttx740

If you're not going to run a carrier, you could opt for a trailer hitch mounted light. There's also combination license plate/3rd brake light setups for about $50 by a few manufacturers. I'm planning on getting a PS combo light for my Evo carrier.

No tire carrier for now. That's in stage 2 I guess.

Other than ascetics is there any advantage to relocating the license plate?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

lulu2533

There's quite a few options out there. If you are also relocating your license plate to the tail gate cover you can get a plate mounting bracket that comes with license plate light and 3rd brake light together from Poison Spyder and Off Road Only.

ACE makes a tail gate vent cover with built in provision for your existing 3rd brake light. You can look that up in Quadratec. It's a nice solution if you don't mind the huge ACE logo in the design.

Sent from Earth to Space and back...can ya give it a second!? WAYALIFE mobile app
I used the ACE one also for awhile. Very simple to cut the light off and install. Liked the clean tailgate look for a little while until I figured out what bumper and tire carrier I wanted.

Sent from my VS988 using WAYALIFE mobile app

lulu2533

How did the tiny 3rd brake light do when it came time for a state inspection?
I didn't have the one that you posted. I had the one where you cut your existing third brake light off and bolt it to the ace tail gate plate...like this:
download.jpeg

lulu2533

Got it! I'm torn between the two. I guess this is part of the fun of a build. I'll have progress pictures next week.

Yeah, it is lots of fun trying to decide what you want to install.
If you were closer to me I would give you the one I have. Just collecting dust in my garage.
Looking forward to seeing what you decide to get.

Sent from my VS988 using WAYALIFE mobile app

davidc128

ive been beatin around ideas for a third brake light but ive got a bodymount tire carrier so tramp stamp light is out... been looking at tailgate light strips like this... Screenshot_20170408-225828.jpg

JeepJeep75

ive been beatin around ideas for a third brake light but ive got a bodymount tire carrier so tramp stamp light is out... been looking at tailgate light strips like this... View attachment 252506

Those are terrible. Please don't put that on your jeep. Living in SoCal, I see those almost exclusively on fucked up MexiCallied-out beat-down trucks that always seem to be full of lawnmowers and weedeaters. [emoji848]

davidc128

Those are terrible. Please don't put that on your jeep. Living in SoCal, I see those almost exclusively on fucked up MexiCallied-out beat-down trucks that always seem to be full of lawnmowers and weedeaters. [emoji848]

Haha wat else lives in cali? Totally different crowd sports them round here in texas... course i typically pick my mods according to wat i like not wat everybody else does... mayb thats just me tho

kttx740

Haha wat else lives in cali? Totally different crowd sports them round here in texas... course i typically pick my mods according to wat i like not wat everybody else does... mayb thats just me tho

Would you put it at the base of the tailgate?

Top Bottom