Platinum Burner wiring help

t0fudelivery

Just got home from Walmart and got two sets of Platinum Burners (4 lights total). I plan on using the Project JK writeup for installing two, and find a location to install the other two in the middle. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being an electrician, I am about a 4-5.

But first I have a few questions:

My first question is directed towards Eddie:

1) I did a search on the forum here and saw you had installed two in the middle of Moby, where exactly did you mount them and did you tap into your line for the front lights behind the grill? Or did you have to run a new line to the positive terminal of the battery?

2) I was thinking of wiring them up to my interior lights so when I unlock the car, they will turn on and act as puddle lights. However I don't want to have to turn on the cabin lights for them to switch on when Im wheeling, so...Is there a way I can have them tapped into the interior lights (with the fade in/out) AND have an auxiliary switch to turn them on with the interior lights off?

3) If this idea is possible, anybody have an idea which wire I can use for the cabin lights and where its located?

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Skid_Kid

To give you some insight to question 2: You will be tapping into the CANBUS system. It is tricky and if not done correctly will cause you problems. My suggestion is to just run all 4 lights to one switch. It will be less headache to you I would think. Just my :twocents:

t0fudelivery

To give you some insight to question 2: You will be tapping into the CANBUS system. It is tricky and if not done correctly will cause you problems. My suggestion is to just run all 4 lights to one switch. It will be less headache to you I would think. Just my :twocents:

Anyone else agree?

Thanks for the response, and thank you for your service :usa:

Pushrod

I absolutely agree with Skidkid on tapping into the existing wiring with a high current draw light. There was a very good write-up by whpony96 over on the JK-forum at the link below that explains in good detail about how he hooked up LEDs off the interior light circuit. This could easily be modified using the circuit to power a relay for the high wattage lights instead of LEDs. I used this diaghram and installed LEDs as courtousy lights under the rock rails for my wife as she was paranoid about stepping on a snake at night. (We live in rural Arkansas and have a lot of pit vipers.) I did include a switch on the A pillar post that allows the lights to be turned on at any time using the diode setup he shows. When I hit the remote unlock button the lights come on with the interior dome light. I used the waterproof LEDs he used and they are bright and work great. If the link doesn't work search for ~~~cheap-easy-led-rock-lights-~~~. Be careful that the wiring color code of your year model may be different than what he describes as the wire to tap into for the dome light. Test with a sharp pointed test lamp before cutting the wire. I didn't actually cut mine, I just peeled back enough insulation to solder my new wire on.
http://www.jk-forum.com/jk-electric...s-13/~~~cheap-easy-led-rock-lights-~~~-94632/

Top Bottom