Driveline vibrations?

10abadilla/jk

I've never had a chance to experience drive shaft vibrations. I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to explain it as best as possible. I just installed my front LCA's and have a slight vibration in the steering wheel. No sounds and nothing violent. 20170408_163959.jpg

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Driveline vibration only occurs during acceleration or deceleration. So if the steering wheel vibration is there all the time, it's not from the drive line. An easy way to test it is while driving and in a safe area, put the trans in neutral. If vibration is still there, it's not the driveline.

As far as your measurement, I think it should be at +2 on the front of the pumpkin, assuming the ground is a perfect 0.

10abadilla/jk

I'm guessing your caster is off. Have you had an alignment done since you installed your LCAs?
No I have not. I checked everything and it all seems ok. Toe in/out is within an 1/8th. I know my pinion angle is off. Stock is around 4. Im at 0. So yea my caster is off. I need to get upper control arms so I can adjust the caster.

WJCO

Meme King
No I have not. I checked everything and it all seems ok. Toe in/out is within an 1/8th. I know my pinion angle is off. Stock is around 4. Im at 0. So yea my caster is off. I need to get upper control arms so I can adjust the caster.

Caster measured on the ball joints should be 4. The location you took the measurement should not be 4. I'm pretty sure that if you're at a true 4 on your caster, then the front pumpkin will read 2.

10abadilla/jk

Caster measured on the ball joints should be 4. The location you took the measurement should not be 4. I'm pretty sure that if you're at a true 4 on your caster, then the front pumpkin will read 2.
Ok my mistake. Thank you for that. In the front I am at 0 so my caster is off by 2. I will need to get front uppers to fix that. My lowers are fully collapsed.

10abadilla/jk

Driveline vibration only occurs during acceleration or deceleration. So if the steering wheel vibration is there all the time, it's not from the drive line. An easy way to test it is while driving and in a safe area, put the trans in neutral. If vibration is still there, it's not the driveline.

As far as your measurement, I think it should be at +2 on the front of the pumpkin, assuming the ground is a perfect 0.
Yea it's not Driveline vibrations then. Its something else. Its not horrendous. I may just be over thinking it.

WJCO

Meme King
Ok my mistake. Thank you for that. In the front I am at 0 so my caster is off by 2. I will need to get front uppers to fix that. My lowers are fully collapsed.

I'm surprised you weren't able to get it dialed in with just the lowers. What lift do you have and are you running a ProRock with extra caster?

With a digital level it reads 88 on the front, I don't know how that translates to 2 but must be the same thing

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I meant 2 degrees from 90, so you're statement is more accurate.

10abadilla/jk

I see. Didn't realize there were different sizes. Was the steering issue there before arms were replaced?
Eh..... yea. At about 60 I get mild vibration in the steering wheel. It has been like that since I bought it. It does not really cause any steering issues it drives straight. Just get some vibes in the steering wheel. I think I am over thinking it because of the new arms and caster being off.

WJCO

Meme King
That kind of symptom is usually related to tire balance, but check unit bearings as well.

jesse3638

Hooked
I'm pretty sure drive line vibrations are only associated with after market double cardin shafts. It appears you have a stock shaft. Also they are best described as an oscillating feeling or sound more in the floor board not usually the steering wheel. To me it sounds like an unbalanced wheel.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

10abadilla/jk

I'm pretty sure drive line vibrations are only associated with after market double cardin shafts. It appears you have a stock shaft. Also they are best described as an oscillating feeling or sound more in the floor board not usually the steering wheel. To me it sounds like an unbalanced wheel.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app
Awesome thank you so much. I will try and balance them.

Top Bottom