3.8 Lifter replacement

DavidDial

Hey! This is my first post here and this seems to be an ongoing issue with the 3.8l engines. But as usual my jeep has a serious lifter tick, or so I think that's what it is.

But let's get down to business,

is there anyone that has replaced the lifters in a 3.8?

If so how much work is involved?

Can they be replaced without pulling the heads off?

If I pull the intake manifold off can I pull em out?

I'd feel comfortable taking it all apart, but I'd like to have a vague idea of what I'd be getting into. That way I can order the proper gaskets for when the time comes.

My engine is at 150k miles. Which is impressive considering this is the first issue it has given me(besides burning 2 quarts of oil between changes).

If I can make this thing last me to the end of the Summer I'm going to be doing either a 5.3 or a 6.0 ls swap. But I need to start saving for that lol.

Any insight is much appreciated! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Are you sure it's not an exhaust leak? Very common to have cracked manifolds on this engine.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Are you sure it's not an exhaust leak? Very common to have cracked manifolds on this engine.

I second this recommendation. You have to take the heat shields off to see if there are any cracks. Both of mine were cracked in multiple locations when I finally checked them last summer. I have an '07 with just over 80k miles on it and I had been hearing a ticking sound (until my engine heating up completely) every time I started my engine for over a year. It's a lot easier to check this then pulling your engine apart. That would be my first thing to check.

'07 JKUR ... mod'ing never stops...

jeeeep

Hooked
what others have said, each time I've heard the engine ticking it's been cracked manifolds.

1st time both sides were cracked same spots.

I'm now starting to hear a tick again so when I get home from EJS may have to install another set.

the replacements are Mopar OEM, I'm gonna bet they are cracked in the same location.

DavidDial

Hey! I really appreciate the input, I'm almost certain it's not an exhaust leak. But I can dive into it further here soon and take a look.

For some reason shortly after I posted this question the forum told me I did not have permission to respond. Weird lol. But it's fixed now

Removed pimping signature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom