wrong u-joint?

Hi

Today I changed the u-joint but to be honest I´m not 100 percent sure it is ok.

The local shop sold me a pair of MOOG u-joints with part number 371.

When I´m looking at there website on the moog 371 u-joint it clearly says it will fit wrangler up to 2012 year model and I have a 2012.

But to me it seems that the u-joint and the caps are very short because the caps do not fill up the holes in the drive shaft ears. Is this ok? Look at picture.

On a side note I can tell you that I fucked it up with the abs sensor. I thought I had to remove it so I could take out the drive shaft but unfortnately the abs sensor must have broke becuase it was only the top that come off and the rest still was located in the hole in the wheel bearing. Actually most of the parts was stuck real good. The old u-joint was hell to work out of the drive shaft.

Not drive shaft, I was writing wrong, of course it is supposed to be written axle shaft.

knutkors.jpg

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
That looks like an axle shaft not a driveshaft and those do not look like the correct u joints. They are too small. Did you even install the full circle clips or c clips?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

That looks like an axle shaft not a driveshaft and those do not look like the correct u joints. They are too small. Did you even install the full circle clips or c clips?

It was not full circle clips. It is just the ordinary half clips.

Guess I have to go back to the shop.

Yes, I was writing wrong, not drive shaft it is the axle shaft.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Like Overlander said that is not correct. And it's confusing with you calling it a driveshaft. It's clearly an axleshaft. I remember the axle shaft ujoint being a kinda funky part number and many of people ended up with the wrong ones.

Edit: I see you have a Sahara so I don't know what the D30 part number is. But since you have the old one out, just take it with you to your parts store and make sure they get you the right one.

Last edited:
In the chart it says Spicer 1310-WJ. Can this be the problem? I´ve heard that dana44 and dana30 on jk from 2007 and up are using a other u-joint?

If I´m correct they also made the "ears" on the axle shaft bigger in 2012 or 2011, is this correct?

On Moog homepage it says direct fit on 2012 wrangler but it seems it is not as some people already have written here.

Well, I guess it is only to change it out again.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
In the chart it says Spicer 1310-WJ. Can this be the problem? I´ve heard that dana44 and dana30 on jk from 2007 and up are using a other u-joint?

If I´m correct they also made the "ears" on the axle shaft bigger in 2012 or 2011, is this correct?

On Moog homepage it says direct fit on 2012 wrangler but it seems it is not as some people already have written here.

Well, I guess it is only to change it out again.

Ujoints will still fit even with the larger yokes. It's the backside of the war that's bigger not where the u joint sits. It's the wrong u joint. The sit was wrong.

Ujoints will still fit even with the larger yokes. It's the backside of the war that's bigger not where the u joint sits. It's the wrong u joint. The sit was wrong.

Thanks overlander for clarification.

Tomorow I go back to shop an order new ones or just order my self on the internet. The shops here in sweden is retarded. Most of them wanted to sell me the whole driveshaft and told me that it is not possible to only buy the u-joints.
'
I told them that is bullshit and after some days one shop told me he could help me out but clearly they got the wrong u-joints.

Should I go for American Alloy?

Interesting

I do have a 2012 but it seems that it did come with the bigger axle shaft that is supposed to have come 2013. Do not know if export jeep got the improved shaft first.

For what I have figure out it is the following u-joint I must have- 68145053AA and that is a "mopar part number"

This u-joint is the same u joint as spicer 5-7166X DANA 44 AXLE SHAFT UJOINT 1350 SERIES JEEP WRANGLER & RUBICON 68145053AA.

-7166X Dana 44 Axle Shaft Ujoint 1350 Series Jeep Wrangler & Rubicon 68145053AA
68145053AA, 68017182AA, 5004891 - Works in all Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon front axles 2007+ and Jeep JK non-Rubicon front Dana 30 axles with upgraded 1350 axle joints 2013+.

It has the exact same dimensions as my stock u-joint. So i seems my 2012 have some 2013 parts?

Maybe thats why I got wrong size in first place. I got something equal to a 5-760x joint but that joint is to short in the cross.

I just wanted to finnish this thread with telling the correct u-joint.

Mopar part number is 68145053AA and this one fit all 2013 and newer wrangler and SOME 2012 sahara and sport.

This u-joint is the u-joint that was on the dana44 on rubicon models but from 2013 also the sahara and sport have this one because from that year they also have the bigger yokes on the driveshaft like rubicom models.

Problem is that some of the 2012 sahara jeeps also have the bigger yokes and mine did have the bigger yokes so thats why I did get the wrong u-joint the first time.

Mopar 68145053 AA is a renamed Dana Spicer 5-7166X u-joint.

Hopes this info can help some out there.

marcioth81

I think I'm having the same issue... my 2012 JK Sport bought here in Brazil has taller holes where the axle u-joint cups sets in. I tried some u-joints that was suposed to fit (like the Spicer 5-760X), but it is almost 0,3 inch smaller than the stock. I'll try the 68145053AA or Spicer 5-7166X.

I'm not finding the total length oh the Spicer 5-7166X or 81845054AA anywhere in the internet. Do you know it so I can import the right one this time?

Thank you for sharing!

Marcio
Dakar Overland

I just wanted to finnish this thread with telling the correct u-joint.

Mopar part number is 68145053AA and this one fit all 2013 and newer wrangler and SOME 2012 sahara and sport.

This u-joint is the u-joint that was on the dana44 on rubicon models but from 2013 also the sahara and sport have this one because from that year they also have the bigger yokes on the driveshaft like rubicom models.

Problem is that some of the 2012 sahara jeeps also have the bigger yokes and mine did have the bigger yokes so thats why I did get the wrong u-joint the first time.

Mopar 68145053 AA is a renamed Dana Spicer 5-7166X u-joint.

Hopes this info can help some out there.

jeeeep

Hooked
I think I'm having the same issue... my 2012 JK Sport bought here in Brazil has taller holes where the axle u-joint cups sets in. I tried some u-joints that was suposed to fit (like the Spicer 5-760X), but it is almost 0,3 inch smaller than the stock. I'll try the 68145053AA or Spicer 5-7166X.

I'm not finding the total length oh the Spicer 5-7166X or 81845054AA anywhere in the internet. Do you know it so I can import the right one this time?

Thank you for sharing!

Marcio
Dakar Overland

spicerparts.com

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I’m glad you were able to work it out! Thank you for following up and by posting the correct part number to help others that will run into this problem in the future.

Top Bottom