Over 80" Wide

KYRubi

I was just watching a video review on the Raptor and they mentioned that since it was over 80" wide that it legally required lighting that specified that including 3 amber lights up front, etc. I just went outside with a tape measure, and well... I'm wondering what everyone else running wide wheels with small offsets is doing. I found a light bar at QT that would take care of the front requirements, but really don't know what to do about the rear.

Last edited:

jeepr13

Over 80" Wide

Probably true that some states require that, but unlikely that it is enforced. Here in Colorado I see guys with tube fenders and no marker lights, beadlocks, etc all the time and they run them without issue. Some states are stricter I guess but what cop is going to measure your rig? I guess maybe if you were pulled over for something else and they tack that on, but unlikely. Do you have inspections in your state? Could be an issue there I guess, no inspections or emissions testing in my county though. Also requirements for vehicles being sold as stock are different than when you modify them. Vehicles are required to be sold with tire pressure sensors if they were made in 2008+ but you don't legally have to run them. My guess is a stock rig that is 80+ requires them from the factory. Dually pickups for example come with them stock generally.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

KYRubi

They are extremely lenient here. No vehicle inspections, big bro-dozers driving around, Jeeps with no mirrors, etc. Just not sure about other states. Of course, I'm very rarely out of KY and usually drive the Mustang on long trips.

jeepr13

You generally can't get a vehicle ticket if you have out of state plates. I've been to Moab numerous times without mud flaps and never gotten a ticket. When I went to school in Minnesota I had Colorado plates, but my vehicle broke numerous state laws. Never got a ticket despite being pulled over and being there for four years. Wouldn't worry too much about the width, especially if your state is lenient.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
You generally can't get a vehicle ticket if you have out of state plates. I've been to Moab numerous times without mud flaps and never gotten a ticket. When I went to school in Minnesota I had Colorado plates, but my vehicle broke numerous state laws. Never got a ticket despite being pulled over and being there for four years. Wouldn't worry too much about the width, especially if your state is lenient.

This post gets the award for the dumbest shit I have read all day. You are absolutely, positively, flat fucking wrong.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

What has happened is, you have ran into patrolmen, that cut you a break, maybe because you had out of state plates. Maybe because they were Jeepers. You don't have immunity to those laws, just because you live in another state.

jorgelrod

Hooked
What has happened is, you have ran into patrolmen, that cut you a break, maybe because you had out of state plates. Maybe because they were Jeepers. You don't have immunity to those laws, just because you live in another state.

^^^ THis, I've been stopped a couple of time while being stateside, when they see my license from Puerto Rico, some of them have just flat out given me a stare and cut me a break because they have no idea PR is a US territory and think it is some backwater third world country and the ticket might be a hassle for them. In some other situations the cop has just given me the ticket, and sent me on my way. It's more about the cop and how he feels than the fact that you are out of state or not...

jkrichard

Best tickets to write are to people from far away, it's a pretty safe bet they won't come back for court. In Canada there are very few (provincial laws) that can't be enforced out of province, but most are pretty universal.

It's your job to know where you are traveling and be prepared.

Unless your a commercial vehicle or a clear road hazard, veh. Equipment regs are mostly reserved for attitude, people you want to make leave town or making a point. That said there are lots out there that just dislike jeeps too.

Ddays

Hooked
I was just watching a video review on the Raptor and they mentioned that since it was over 80" wide that it legally required lighting that specified that including 3 amber lights up front, etc. I just went outside with a tape measure, and well... I'm wondering what everyone else running wide wheels with small offsets is doing. I found a light bar at QT that would take care of the front requirements, but really don't know what to do about the rear.

Wait - are you saying your Jeep is 80" wide? :eek: Goddam! The XD60's on Rubicat are only 72-1/2"!

KYRubi

Wait - are you saying your Jeep is 80" wide? :eek: Goddam! The XD60's on Rubicat are only 72-1/2"!

With 37X13.50R17 tires on 17X10" wheels with 3.5" backspacing? Yes, it's over 80" wide.

She's a big one. Humongous.

E41CE60E-2505-426D-B1BB-D4EA2B11FA9A_zpszwuuzgii.jpg

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With 37X13.50R17 tires on 17X10" wheels with 3.5" backspacing? Yes, it's over 80" wide.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the width in question is based on what the vehicle's width was originally built to (as in the body) and NOT even including the mirrors. On a JK, that would only be 73.7".

KYRubi

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the width in question is based on what the vehicle's width was originally built to (as in the body) and NOT even including the mirrors. On a JK, that would only be 73.7".

I really like that answer. :thumb:

I'm going with that. If anyone ever has a problem with it they can deal with my sister (attorney).

Sharkey

Word Ninja
(Edited) Not worth a response...

Here is your original response that you deleted.

jeepr13 said:
I am just stating my experience and the experience of numerous other Jeepers I know... I said generally not 100% of the time, but way to be an asshole. I'm sure you are the expert. Care to share a contrary experience rather than just being a dick?

Sorry if you find me calling out your b.s. "being a dick", but when people put out completely false information like it is true...everyone suffers. Some newb will come on here, read what you wrote, then get in trouble with the police.

And no, you were not just stating your experience. Your exact words were "You generally can't get a vehicle ticket if you have out of state plates." That, my friend, is your attempt to state something as fact (that the police can't give you a ticket) which is absolute b.s.

Convey your own experiences all you want, but don't lead some poor guy/gal astray by telling him that the police in another state generally can't ticket him for failing to comply with vehicle codes when he is in that state.

Ddays

Hooked

E41CE60E-2505-426D-B1BB-D4EA2B11FA9A_zpszwuuzgii.jpg

Yeah, I think I replied before I thought this one through enough. With the new Trail Ready's Rubicat is running there really isn't much sticking out past the hubs on her any more. I was basing my response more on a hunch instead of thinking through the measurements. Duh on me.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
If your in another state that requires something your state does not require, technically you are exempt from being charged or convicted of that particular equipment violation. And I'm only talking about vehicle equipment. The problem is, you still can be written the ticket by a LEO who either is hoping you don't go to court to contest the ticket or the LEO is not familiar with your States vehicle code. Also the town or city you're in may have ordinance rules that have more power to hold out of state drivers accountable for violating their ordinance. Most town and city's have an ordinance code for every traffic offense and criminal offense. Hope this shed some light. You still can get a ticket with out if state plates, it just may get dropped in court.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
If your in another state that requires something your state does not require, technically you are exempt from being charged or convicted of that particular equipment violation. And I'm only talking about vehicle equipment.

I disagree. There is a nuanced argument here that is not really appropriate for a Jeep forum, but I'll give you the Cliff Notes. The Privileges and Immunities Clause does not give you the general ability to take your state's motor vehicle laws with you into other jurisdictions. When you are in another state, using their roads, you are subject to their laws.

There are some exceptions, but the only one that immediately comes to mind in non-commercial circumstances is for emissions standards. There are also circumstances where other constitutional provisions control, such as interstate commerce and the Dormant Commerce Clause, but they tend to deal with trucking or other commercial enterprises.

For all of you who think there is some grand law immunizing you from another's states motor vehicle laws, I challenge you to find that law of the land and post it here. I will appropriately eat crow if necessary. But please, please, please, stop relying on something you read somewhere online or something your brother's nephew's cousin once told you after slamming a six pack of Bud.

trailraider

If you want to test the waters of what is "legal in one state and not another"to see if they let you off the hook, use a radar detector. you'll find out real quick they don't care if its legal in your state.(found out the hard way). i always verify if i'm within the means with my stuff. it only takes one cop having a bad day to make it your bad day.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
For all of you who think there is some grand law immunizing you from another's states motor vehicle laws, I challenge you to find that law of the land and post it here. I will appropriately eat crow if necessary. But please, please, please, stop relying on something you read somewhere online or something your brother's nephew's cousin once told you after slamming a six pack of Bud.

Poor choice of word, I should not say exempt. I can tell you from personal experience, I have yet to see a judge charge an out of state motorist for a equipment violation that was proven legal in their state. In the past I have written out of state motorists citations for equipment violations that were dismissed because the out of state motorist proved it was legal in their state. For example, if your state does not require you to insure your vehicle, I can't issue you a citation for driving an uninsured motor vehicle (which was just recently a class A misdemeanor in my state). I don't know all the verbiage to sell my trust, just my personal experience.

Top Bottom