My White JKU Expedition Build

DallasJKU

I have had many vehicles in the last 4 years since selling my TJ. I have owned a '09 GLI, '10 FJ, '10 GTI, '12 Xterra, '13 CC and now a 2013 JKU Sport. I have been searching for the ultimate fun and expedition vehicle with some VW"s sprinkled in. I always said I would never own the new JK because I didn't think they were Jeep enough. I think I was wrong.

On 12/28/2012, I went in and test drove a 2 door JK with 35's which was a blessing in disguise. It drove like crap and I hated it. So, I said what the hell let me drive the JKU with 35's. It drove great even with the ProComp lift. I was sold so I made an offer and got a great deal for them to take back a two month old CC. My new car payment was even cheaper than the CC lease payment so I'm very happy I will actually own this thing in 5 years or less.

On 12/28, I ordered an AEV 2.5" lift with geometry correction brackets. Also some 35" Duratracs and ProComp 7069's.This was the perfect lift for me for 35's and very light wheeling with lots of long trips planned and camping. I really love this thing so far!!

photo-2.jpg

DallasJKU

On 1/8/2013: My AEV showed up and then on Tuesday my Poison Spyder Brawler Lite front bumper showed up. On Tuesday, I had my AEV installed and Wednesday, I took the bumper to the powder coaters.

photo-1.jpg

DallasJKU

The plan for the build is to build it more for the road with off road looks and capability. I want to keep the weight down so after saving weight in the rear with a TF tire carrier. I think I will keep the stock fender flares and no winch. I also will look into some aluminum sliders or maybe just go with the stock Rubi rails for some light protection. I will stay far away from rocks for the most part.

I want to be able to drive all over the country so light as possible will be necessary. I will someday go for 37's, but not while my dog is alive. 35's are pushing the max for his 9 year old body. I will also probably purchase a stock premium soft top and possibly sell my hardtop because I live in apt with no place to store it.

dchew

Caught the Bug
Looks great so far and welcome to WAYALIFE! Love that bumper.

I will send you a PM about the rails.

Dave

aldaman

Looks great so far and welcome to WAYALIFE! Love that bumper.

I will send you a PM about the rails.

Dave

Great looking Jeep Dallas JKU. If you decide to add the Rubi rails, you can also add Ace sliders to it. This will act as a step as well as provide you additional protection....

DallasJKU

Great looking Jeep Dallas JKU. If you decide to add the Rubi rails, you can also add Ace sliders to it. This will act as a step as well as provide you additional protection....

Any type if rail I run needs to be close to body as possible because of my dog. He can barely get in now.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
The plan for the build is to build it more for the road with off road looks and capability. I want to keep the weight down so after saving weight in the rear with a TF tire carrier. I think I will keep the stock fender flares and no winch. I also will look into some aluminum sliders or maybe just go with the stock Rubi rails for some light protection. I will stay far away from rocks for the most part.

I want to be able to drive all over the country so light as possible will be necessary. I will someday go for 37's, but not while my dog is alive. 35's are pushing the max for his 9 year old body. I will also probably purchase a stock premium soft top and possibly sell my hardtop because I live in apt with no place to store it.

Nice rig so far! I have a smaller dog and went with the Mopar factory side steps for her. Had tube ones on when purchased and her leg almost got caught between.

DallasJKU

Here are some pics of the rails. Will these work out?

f801376557ef8ef772c19177f285abdb_zps27d41381.jpg

Unfortunately, these are too far out. They just make it a little harder for him to navigate and potential for injury. I would rather have the side of my Jeep smashed than my dog get hurt. I really think for my needs the Rubi rails will be ok. I have a 9 year old Aussie, but he just can't jump as high as he used to. I just will avoid rocks for the most part.

DSCF0005.jpg

Last edited:

DallasJKU

Trying to decide between premium soft top or ORH cargo top. Lots of pros and cons for both. These tops will replace my hard top which I never wanted, but I always thought I wanted the ORH top and have luckily found one brand new and never used for much cheaper and without the long wait. Any opinions??

Chiromancer

Unfortunately, these are too far out. They just make it a little harder for him to navigate and potential for injury. I would rather have the side of my Jeep smashed than my dog get hurt. I really think for my needs the Rubi rails will be ok. I have a 9 year old Aussie, but he just can't jump as high as he used to. I just will avoid rocks for the most part.

DSCF0005.jpg

Hmm... I know about having a dog you love, I had a greyhound who lives to 16 before she got cancer. What we ended up doing for the last few years of her life was a ramp that we'd store in the back. It could make for slower transitions from the old just jump out of the car, but she was patient and knew she needed to wait:)

DallasJKU

Hmm... I know about having a dog you love, I had a greyhound who lives to 16 before she got cancer. What we ended up doing for the last few years of her life was a ramp that we'd store in the back. It could make for slower transitions from the old just jump out of the car, but she was patient and knew she needed to wait:)

He is still strong enough to get in on his own and I would imagine will be fine for a few more years. I try to limit his exposure to the concrete by parking next to the grass or jumping onto a slightly higher curb or something. He has learned to crawl into the floorboard and go from there getting out. Getting in he has to jump in floorboard. He prefers the back seat to be up so he can lean on the seat back. He is not a fan of the seats being flat plus that adds quite a bit of height getting out and he would definitely struggle getting in.

DallasJKU

Also just ordered a MetalCloak rear bumper. It was the tightest fitting bolt-on rear bumper I could find. Most of the bumpers stick out too far IMO.

Top Bottom