What do you use for roll bar padding?

chitown35

LOSER
The stock stuff seems pretty firm, and I assume it'll do its job? But the stuff that goes with the cage I just added seems cheap and like not much more than a pool noodle. Anybody else have the same thoughts?

I saw this stuff online, which is described like it's exactly what should be used: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=2390 right?
"This high-density padding should be used any place on a roll bar or roll cage where the occupants may come in contact with the tubing. It is very dense to minimize bottoming out in hard impacts, but it is pliable enough to reduce the risk of broken bones and severe bruising. This padding is much harder than the foam-rubber "comfort" padding typically used on Jeep rollcages, but it is softer than SFI-rated padding." 2390.JPG
But who knows, maybe the stuff I already have is the same as that.

Anybody care to share what they've used?

jeeeep

Hooked
i have the padding off on one side only because it fell apart when I installed the RockHard sport cage - since then I use my head and it's not soft enough :doh:

that tube padding is harder than the stock foam? I don't think I'd want that, the stock foam felt pretty hard to me

Napalm

I'm running mine without the padding. The front is painted black like the rest of the body, but the back roll bar behind the sound bar is green like they stoped painting ha. But it's something that doesn't bother me so I just roll with it

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mine is the same Way! Billet silver Jeep with a commando green roll bar? Doesn't make sense....

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

chitown35

LOSER
that tube padding is harder than the stock foam? I don't think I'd want that, the stock foam felt pretty hard to me

I think they're saying it's harder than the stuff that comes with aftermarket cages. According to Rock Hard, for one, their "foam is designed to absorb minor bumps and impact."

I'm running mine without the padding. The front is painted black like the rest of the body, but the back roll bar behind the sound bar is green like they stoped painting ha. But it's something that doesn't bother me so I just roll with it

Same here too, sounds like it's like this on every Jeep. Annoying.

Anyway I'll probably try out that foam I linked to I guess, it's cheap enough. I'll be sure to update the thread if I roll and it wasn't good enough...well as long as the concussion doesn't affect my memory :doh:

I think they're saying it's harder than the stuff that comes with aftermarket cages. According to Rock Hard, for one, their "foam is designed to absorb minor bumps and impact."

Same here too, sounds like it's like this on every Jeep. Annoying.

Anyway I'll probably try out that foam I linked to I guess, it's cheap enough. I'll be sure to update the thread if I roll and it wasn't good enough...well as long as the concussion doesn't affect my memory :doh:

Thanks for looking into this. I've been wanting something too. I had been also looking into something a little denser than a pool noodle.

chitown35

LOSER
Got this stuff in today, definitely seems a bit firmer, more protective, and much less likely to bottom out than the cheap crap from before.
20170419_065811.jpg

A little bit of a stretch to get the cover wrapped and Velcroed around it, but it works.

jeeeep

Hooked
Got this stuff in today, definitely seems a bit firmer, more protective, and much less likely to bottom out than the cheap crap from before.
View attachment 254176

A little bit of a stretch to get the cover wrapped and Velcroed around it, but it works.

the hole in the that large enough to go around the roll bar?

I've tried the pool noodles but I need to find some with a larger diameter - the one's I bought just turned into a mess trying to get them to fit

chitown35

LOSER
the hole in the that large enough to go around the roll bar?

I've tried the pool noodles but I need to find some with a larger diameter - the one's I bought just turned into a mess trying to get them to fit
IIRC my bars are 1.75" O.D. and they fit well. Website says they were meant to fit 1.5-1.75, but you could also do them on 2, and that seems to be accurate.

Top Bottom