Genright rear bumper installed

zimm

Caught the Bug
I ditched the overly heavy ACE rear bumper and tire carrier for the EVO hinged tire carrier and factory hitch. I couldn't get used to the bumper-less look, so I went with a gen right aluminum rear bumper. It's a piece of art and weighs 19 pounds. The tow points are probably another 10, so all in, I saved 100-ish pounds off the rear of the jeep to help out towing. I also went with a pollak 4/7 pin trailer socket with is much lower profile than the Mopar one.

The bumper is so form fitting, there's no room for anything else to be flush mounted, so the back up camera is right on top of the step. I really like it and the TIG welds are pure jewelry. I plan to run it naked to see how the aluminum seasons. If it gets too nasty, I can always powder coat down the road.

33920105196_a9da7df8ab_h.jpg

33920103706_d39a0b2a82_h.jpg

33920102596_b80b3cf863_h.jpg

33576402430_1220376426_h.jpg

Last edited:
J

JKDream

I ditched the overly heavy ACE rear bumper and tire carrier for the EVO hinged tire carrier and factory hitch. I couldn't get used to the bumper-less look, so I went with a gen right aluminum rear bumper. It's a piece of art and weighs 19 pounds. The tow points are probably another 10, so all in, I saved 100-ish pounds off the rear of the jeep to help out towing. I also went with a pollak 4/7 pin trailer socket with is much lower profile than the Mopar one.

The bumper is so form fitting, there's no room for anything else to be flush mounted, so the back up camera is right on top of the step. I really like it and the TIG welds are pure jewelry. I plan to run it naked to see how the aluminum seasons. If it gets too nasty, I can always powder coat down the road.

That looks pretty damn good. Are the D-rings welded to the bumper? They look like they're coming out of a cutout in the bumper - and mounted to the frame.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Bumper is 3/16" aluminum. The tow tabs are solid steel and go through cutouts in the bumper face into the frame. Three bolts go in from the side of frame and bumper into the tabs. Then two bolts per side go into blind nut plates vertically into the frame. Then 2 self tapping bolts vertically on either side of the hitch tighten it up.

Since the tow tabs are bare steel, I powder coated them texture black before installing.

tgoss

If I wouldn't absolutely trash a rear bumper that big I would definitely rock this one. Best looking bumper in the game IMO. Nice choice!

F

Fionayeti

Great bumper! I wanted to lighten up as well - can't go wrong with this bumper...easy install but ya gotta really drill your holes straight or it won't mount correctly. Definitely a take your time install. I know, not profound...

Attachments

• IMG_3006.jpg
    IMG_3006.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 153

zimm

Caught the Bug
Great bumper! I wanted to lighten up as well - can't go wrong with this bumper...easy install but ya gotta really drill your holes straight or it won't mount correctly. Definitely a take your time install. I know, not profound...

No kidding about the hole placement. I had to open a couple holes to 1/2" to get the bolts threaded in. Pretty close tolerances.

F

Fionayeti

No kidding about the hole placement. I had to open a couple holes to 1/2" to get the bolts threaded in. Pretty close tolerances.

Ha! Me too...Blew through a few drill bits getting this installed!

F

Fionayeti

I had more problems trying to get those damn tow hook bolts in than anything

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Same here. A huge pain. I've never experienced such tight tolerances. However, it was worth it. I've saved nearly a 60-70 lbs in the back by switching bumpers.

mo0s3

That rear bumper can take a beating as well. My brother has that on his jeep and he has beat the hell out of it. As far as it getting seasoned you take some green scouring pad to it and it looks like new

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
I'm following up with the bumper. I never got used to the raw silver look, it didn't look right with the silver jeep, so I had it powder coated texture black. I also opened up the frame holes with a step bit and it's much easier to bolt on. I also replaced the mopar 4 and 7 pin connectors with a combined unit that's lower profile and tucked the bracket between the cross member and bumper and ran a bolt through it. It hasn't hit yet off-road. As for the back up camera, it's still sitting on top of the "step" in the bumper and is hidden by the spare tire, yet I can still use it for backing up and hooking up the hitch.

View attachment 263354

Here's an overexposed picture so you can see the details like the camera.

View attachment 263355

Last edited:
Top Bottom