Newbie lookin at Bumpers

MrEmmDubya

I have started looking at bumpers and now i have more questions than when i started. Im looking for opinions and preferences. The prices vary from 300 and into the thousand or so range. My guess is the quality of steel and weight must make a differance in price but hard to tell by simply seeing them online. Oddly one of the bumpers i like the apperance of is a Barricade HD and its very affordable. Is this a bad bumper? What should i look for in a bumper? I want quality and dont need to be cheap. Eventually i will add a winch. Are there brands that your experience tells you to stay away from? Thanks in advance for suggestions,

MrEmmDubya

Mostly DD, going out to Colorado this summer and light off roadin, unfortunately here in Minnesota there are not alot of places to go. My jeep is pretty new so at least for awhile i will not get crazy.

OhNoTheJiggies

LOD, Offroad Evo, Poison spyder... those are ones that would top my list.
ACE, & crawler conceptz are good.
Barricade, JCR(pretty but not too strong), smittybuilt(opinions differ, but I'm not a fan for several reasons) are toward the bottom for me.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

OhNoTheJiggies

You'll want to decide if you want full width, mid width, or a stubby.
Then steel or aluminum.
No tubework, stinger, or bull bar or somewhere in between.
Recovery points or not.
Thickness of the material can be an indicator of strength but if the welding is crap then it won't help much.
Do you want fog light mounting points or not.
American made or not.
And if you want to have to cut/trim some of the frame to install it.

Draconianwinter

Pretty much if you want quality, then lod, evo, poison spyder. I have the poison spyder brawler lite on mine. It looks great and it is well made. IMG_20170416_124351_806.jpg

sent from your basement

Draconianwinter

Oh and while some of these can get pricey, keep in mind you will get what you pay for. If you buy a cheap one today you will waist the money as you will end up buying a good one tomorrow

sent from your basement

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
LOD, Offroad Evo, Poison spyder... those are ones that would top my list.
ACE, & crawler conceptz are good.
Barricade, JCR(pretty but not too strong), smittybuilt(opinions differ, but I'm not a fan for several reasons) are toward the bottom for me.

All good chooses. ^ I just switched from a smittybilt xrc to the evo quarter pounder.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
You have to think of the quality of the coating as well. Some of the lower priced ones are thinner metal and coated poorly. In your neck of the woods that means they will rust quickly. Barricade and Smittybilt are very prone to that. At least that's what I saw when I lived in Michigan. Not set in stone, but if it has wrinkle coating, its usually not very good so that's the rule of thumb that I go by.

Top Bottom