? On Dynatrac prosteers.

Rottenbelly

So I had some prosteers installed a few months ago.
Today I am swapping in some Rancho high steer knuckles and noticed something weird.
On the driver side the bottom ball joints has no movement, top has a little.
No big deal right.... well on the passenger side it's just the opposite, lower has a little movement, top is solid.
Anyone know if they should have any wiggle room at all??

WJCO

Meme King
Movement where? Where the tapered stud goes in the bore on the knuckle? Like excessive lateral clearance between the stud and bore?

WJCO

Meme King
Did you ever grease them?
If you talking about grabbing the stud with your hand and trying to move it around? I don't think they should move a whole lot.

.....…...............................................................
MY BUILT/REBUILD: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?44123-Rebuilt-of-a-Billet-Silver-mall-crawler&p=859931#post859931

If the OP is referring to the stud moving in the ball joint itself, then this could be completely normal depending on how many miles are on them. Brand new, they're very stiff and hard to move. As mileage increases the stud will rotate more in the joint. As long as there's no play (as in excessive clearance between metal parts), they will be fine.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
If the OP is referring to the stud moving in the ball joint itself, then this could be completely normal depending on how many miles are on them. Brand new, they're very stiff and hard to move. As mileage increases the stud will rotate more in the joint. As long as there's no play (as in excessive clearance between metal parts), they will be fine.

Yes, but should I don't think they should move up or down much at all.

.....…...............................................................
MY BUILT/REBUILD: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?44123-Rebuilt-of-a-Billet-Silver-mall-crawler&p=859931#post859931

Rottenbelly

With the knuckle off there is small lateral movement on the top on the driver side and lower joint on the passenger side.
The others have no movement at all.
I grease them often, especially with the all the snow we had.
Just struck me odd the opposing joints had play instead of both tops or bottoms.
With the knuckles on they are nice and tight, hard to turn by hand.
I'm sure they are still good but like I said, kinda odd that different ones had movement.

WJCO

Meme King
With the knuckle off there is small lateral movement on the top on the driver side and lower joint on the passenger side.
The others have no movement at all.
I grease them often, especially with the all the snow we had.
Just struck me odd the opposing joints had play instead of both tops or bottoms.
With the knuckles on they are nice and tight, hard to turn by hand.
I'm sure they are still good but like I said, kinda odd that different ones had movement.

Are you saying there is play in the joint itself as in inside the socket? Or play where the joint body presses into the C ? Either way, there shouldn't be play there.

If possible, shoot a video.

Rottenbelly

Are you saying there is play in the joint itself as in inside the socket? Or play where the joint body presses into the C ? Either way, there shouldn't be play there.

If possible, shoot a video.

With the knuckles off you can wiggle the loose ones just a little bit. Nothing major but struck me odd the one upper on one side and one lower on the other was slightly loose. Probably only have about 3k on these so I am pretty sure they aren't worn out yet. Was trying to see if I could possibly tighten up the loose ones.
When I put the knuckles back on everything feels nice and tight though.

Can't do a video now, got them on and trying to get stuff finished up so I can maybe run over to moab!

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
You still didn't answer his question. Is it the ball joint housing that is pressed in the end forging that wiggles, or is it the stud of the ball joint where you screw the nut onto that wiggles

Rottenbelly

You still didn't answer his question. Is it the ball joint housing that is pressed in the end forging that wiggles, or is it the stud of the ball joint where you screw the nut onto that wiggles

The stud that the nut goes on....
They are tight in the C's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom