Stock rear driveshaft hitting Evo evap skid

jmedgar

So today I tested out the flex of the jeep driving the passenger front up onto a snowbank. I have a 2.5inch lift. I got a ways up then heard a loud banging sound. The driveshaft weights were hitting my Evo evap skid. I stopped before any damage other than the boot clamp blowing off.

Is there a fix for this?

Should I remove the Evo skid, cheat the factory skid over? Would this be an issue if I had an aftermarket shaft?

Thanks for the advice!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So today I tested out the flex of the jeep driving the passenger front up onto a snowbank. I have a 2.5inch lift. I got a ways up then heard a loud banging sound. The driveshaft weights were hitting my Evo evap skid. I stopped before any damage other than the boot clamp blowing off.

Is there a fix for this?

Should I remove the Evo skid, cheat the factory skid over? Would this be an issue if I had an aftermarket shaft?

Thanks for the advice!

You can cheat the evo skid over toward the frame more to give you a bit more clearance.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks for the advice!

Do you have an adjustable track bar? If you don't it could be pulling your axle over. When I got my JK it had a 3.5 pro company lift and the track bar wasn't adjusted correctly and did the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jmedgar

Do you have an adjustable track bar? If you don't it could be pulling your axle over. When I got my JK it had a 3.5 pro company lift and the track bar wasn't adjusted correctly and did the same thing.

Factory trackbar with a relocation bracket. I'll give a measure and see if it is centered under the jeep. I'd assume the bracket the lift kit came with would adjust it correctly.

I appreciate the help!

IMG_6126.JPG

jmedgar

Ok. Looking for some advice as I think I misunderstood the trackbar brackets purpose. Is it correct that it helps correct geometry but does not help center the axel under the jeep?

Draconianwinter

Ok. Looking for some advice as I think I misunderstood the trackbar brackets purpose. Is it correct that it helps correct geometry but does not help center the axel under the jeep?
It will do both. As your axles flex the track bar moves up and down. This in turn shifts the axle side to to side. When you lift a jeep if you don't use either an adjustable track bar or track bar relocation bracket the axle is shifted slightly out of center, because the track bar is pulled down and is set up more like a pivot point it will move the axle. A relocation bracket moves the track bar back into position when at rest it should be centered.

sent from your basement

jmedgar

It will do both. As your axles flex the track bar moves up and down. This in turn shifts the axle side to to side. When you lift a jeep if you don't use either an adjustable track bar or track bar relocation bracket the axle is shifted slightly out of center, because the track bar is pulled down and is set up more like a pivot point it will move the axle. A relocation bracket moves the track bar back into position when at rest it should be centered.

Ok thank you for the info. I am now realizing that the bracket seems to have moved it too far. Going to order a adjustable track bar, get things centered, then adjust the skid if needed.

Appreciate all the help from everyone.

Draconianwinter

Ok thank you for the info. I am now realizing that the bracket seems to have moved it too far. Going to order a adjustable track bar, get things centered, then adjust the skid if needed.

Appreciate all the help from everyone.
Anytime. I have seen more than one person with this issue, and while it was a pain in the ass to put the poison spyder evap skid on, I think I am starting to be glad I went with it lol

sent from your basement

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With a track bar relocation bracket installed, your axle "should" be pretty centered or centered enough at ride height. As cozdude said, you can always shift the evap over toward the frame.

jmedgar

With a track bar relocation bracket installed, your axle "should" be pretty centered or centered enough at ride height. As cozdude said, you can always shift the evap over toward the frame.

It is a Teraflex part so it seems more than likely that is is not quite right. I even found a video on their website showing you how to move over the evap so it seems they expect it too be off. [emoji849]

For now I removed the Evo skid and re drilled the factory skid to shift everything over a bit. Hopefully once I order an adjustable trackbar I can get it reinstalled.

Thanks for the advice and reply!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! Well, if it really is the TeraFlex track bar bracket, the problem with it is that it's providing too much correction. MOST adjustable track bar I've seen and have personally tested have a shortest length that is LONGER than stock. In other words, you will most likely still have the same problem.

jmedgar

LOL!! Well, if it really is the TeraFlex track bar bracket, the problem with it is that it's providing too much correction. MOST adjustable track bar I've seen and have personally tested have a shortest length that is LONGER than stock. In other words, you will most likely still have the same problem.

Ah good info to know. Yes it is applying too much correction. So is the answer in your opinion to remove the bracket and use an adjustable trackbar or should I get another bracket? Thanks for the help. I really just want to do things the correct way.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ah good info to know. Yes it is applying too much correction. So is the answer in your opinion to remove the bracket and use an adjustable trackbar or should I get another bracket? Thanks for the help. I really just want to do things the correct way.

Before you spend money on anything, I would first try using the lower hole on your existing TeraFlex track bar. That will provide LESS correction and it might be enough to address your problem.

jmedgar

Before you spend money on anything, I would first try using the lower hole on your existing TeraFlex track bar. That will provide LESS correction and it might be enough to address your problem.

Funny story about that... I attempted to use the lower hole to correct it earlier and the bracket has a inner support brace that is too high to give adequate clearance for the factory trackbar to line up with the hole. So the trackbar bottoms out on the bracket about 1/4 inch before you can get it to line up. So I guess that hole is there for weight savings? LOL. Or they welded it incorrectly???

Top Bottom