Rear End Noise....Differential?

BlackJKU08

So on the way home yesterday I felt some vibration in the steering wheel and now a consistent noise which appears to be coming from the rear diff. Local 4x4 shops have said they are a minimum of 2 weeks out to even take a look. I stopped at a pep boys, as they were only place opened last night and spoke to there master mechanic who said in his opinion it's something going on in the diff and said to look into transmission shops, dealer or 4wd shops. I'm still new to jeeping and am uncertain what I'm getting myself into by have hear numbers all over the place. Any information you guys have relating to what I should be aware of, shops near Charlotte NC or anything else is greatly appreciated. This is my daily driver and I need to figure out repair sooner rather than later, it is parked while I go on vacation for a few days but need to get on it first thing next week, especially since I was advised to not drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeff_in_rc

First things first, check all of your fluid levels and look for signs of any leaks. And I mean everything, from front to rear and everything in between.

Then I would put the jeep up on 4 jack stands so you can put it in gear and run it to verify that the noise is really from the rear end, MIGHT be the front end. Go from there.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Most differential problems start with a whine or a growl at a determined speed, usually you hear it under load and it reduces or stops upon coasting. Are you hearing anything like this, vibrations maybe due to an unbalanced driveshaft

BlackJKU08

Most differential problems start with a whine or a growl at a determined speed, usually you hear it under load and it reduces or stops upon coasting. Are you hearing anything like this, vibrations maybe due to an unbalanced driveshaft

There is some vibration noticeable at speed and also under braking. I have pads and have plans to do all 4 wheels brakes next weekend as I am out of town right now.

The noice I am hearing is consistent as the wheels rotate, it reminded me of the sound a bad wheel bearing made in my charger.

BlackJKU08

First things first, check all of your fluid levels and look for signs of any leaks. And I mean everything, from front to rear and everything in between.

Then I would put the jeep up on 4 jack stands so you can put it in gear and run it to verify that the noise is really from the rear end, MIGHT be the front end. Go from there.

The diff fluids were changed within the last month or so, I will have to check on others and service them as well.

Top Bottom