TrekTop NX, Help! Extreme flapping in the rear portion.

Napalm

Hey guys!
So, I've noticed that while running my TrekTop NX with the side and rear windows out and the doors on, I get a severe flapping at about 45MPH of the rear portion of the bikini top. It causes it to bounce up and down on the rear support bow over the passenger seats, causing the bow to "bow" in to the point where you'd think it would snap. Sounds almost like a helicopter. It does this with the windows up or down, and it always does it.

I've been troubleshooting this issue because it's to the point where I can't run with the windows out and doors on. It goes away whenever I take the doors off, or put the rear windows back on. I've even gotten to the point where today I completely pulled the bikini top off and reinstalled it. It is installed like it should be and tightened down.

Please Help! I really want to run the top this way, but I can't seem to make it stop. Anyone else had this issue, and if you did were you able to find a fix?
IMG_2135.jpg
Here is a video from YouTube(not mine, someone else) of what is happening. Mods, if this video link is not okay please let me know and I'll remove it.
https://youtu.be/F3ssmxLQSq8

Thanks WAL family!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Journeyman

That's horrible [emoji15] I have never had that problem with my twill in any situation. My top was ridiculously tight. Even with the hot sun warming my top when I installed I still has to loosen my footmans loops to catch the hooks.
Is it possible that you mixed up some of the bows and installed them in the wrong position. Mine had specific part/location numbers if I'm remembering right.

jmedgar

In the past when I had a trektop I was always able to just crack the back windows and it would stop. Sorry to not have a more useful answer.

Kyle7R

Did you have this problem with any of your other 17 TrekTops? ;)

That sucks bud, I hope you get some sort of resolution.

Napalm

I see a new top in future.

No way! I gotta save so I can build Steel up like Hound. That things growing too fast!!!

Are the clips in the middle tight. And the center crossbar in its channel. And the cable springs on the tightest hole.

Yes, yes, and yes. Still not fixing it!

That's horrible [emoji15] I have never had that problem with my twill in any situation. My top was ridiculously tight. Even with the hot sun warming my top when I installed I still has to loosen my footmans loops to catch the hooks.
Is it possible that you mixed up some of the bows and installed them in the wrong position. Mine had specific part/location numbers if I'm remembering right.

Everything seems to be in the right position. Mine is very tight but that still doesn't seem to stop it from flapping.

In the past when I had a trektop I was always able to just crack the back windows and it would stop. Sorry to not have a more useful answer.

That's okay! I've certainly tried putting the windows at all different positions with no luck unfortunately!

Did you have this problem with any of your other 17 TrekTops? ;)

That sucks bud, I hope you get some sort of resolution.

LoL, maybe 18 will be the charm!!!

GTJeeper

Not sure this will work in your situation, when I had a nx on my two door it would flap and the rearmost support, that one you slid into the canvas. I went to the local hardware store and picked up a steel pipe and end caps then slid that in, the stronger material fully eliminated the flapping and stayed it place really well.

tdougherty81

No way! I gotta save so I can build Steel up like Hound. That things growing too fast!!!

LOL, it's going to slow down.

I remember my Trektop would flap pretty bad with the windows off. Mostly it was the pull on the zipper that annoyed me.

Eezybreezy08

Mine does the same thing. Don't worry about it. It's not gonna rip off. It just makes a heck of a lot of noise, but it's a jeep, it's not gonna be comfortable. You'll get used to it, or at least I did.

moteaux

Mine does the same from time to time. I can vary the window position with no real help. Once and only once, was the back passenger zipper not fully closed which caused it.

I have tightened my springs, I've loosened my springs, zip tied tightly the support bows and it still just happens. And it can depend on which way the wind blows.

I have no real solution. Sometimes it doesn't happen for months. [emoji15]

Clark Griswold

This might be a bit of a stretch but I wonder if those who are having the flapping have installed a lift that levels as apposed to myself who kept the factory rake, might be some funky stuff going on with aerodynamics. Just a thought to try and weed out all the possibilities to try and find a common denominator.

Sent from my VS987 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom