Oil and break in

Great Pumkin

Hey guys so I just had a new 3.6 put into my jeep. Chrysler replaced my old one on warranty. So here I am with 100 miles on it and I have two questions. One what oil is everyone running and two how should I do a break in?

2012 Sahara

black pearl

Hooked
Hey guys so I just had a new 3.6 put into my jeep. Chrysler replaced my old one on warranty. So here I am with 100 miles on it and I have two questions. One what oil is everyone running and two how should I do a break in?

2012 Sahara

5w 20 for oil and the manual of mine said to drive moderately for the first 300 miles with occasional short full throttle burst after 300 break in is done I always go a little longer on being somewhat easy on it myself

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepFan

Hooked
Welcome to WAYALIFE! :beer:

I believe that the driving habits of most people are good enough for engine break-in. I use Pennzoil 5-20 motor oil and the factory oil filter.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
15w40 is way to thick for these modern engines. You might think it's doing great because of higher oil pressure, but in reality it's unable to flow properly hence the higher pressure. Chrysler replaced one under warranty and they do not want to replace another. I would say follow the manufacturers recommendations for brake in.

holliewood61

15w40 is way to thick for these modern engines. You might think it's doing great because of higher oil pressure, but in reality it's unable to flow properly hence the higher pressure. Chrysler replaced one under warranty and they do not want to replace another. I would say follow the manufacturers recommendations for brake in.

I use rotella not because of oil pressure but because of the zinc content. Modern oils have very little if any zinc in them. If you look at any quality break in oil they contain high amounts of zinc which is crucial for the break in process. Most good break in oils are around 10 bucks a qt where rotella is 14 bucks a gallon and works just as well. If it were a 15k dollar race engine id shell out the 10 bucks a qt

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Great Pumkin

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to stick with the 520 from the dealer for the break in. I've got 200 miles on it and I will put another 400 on tomorrow on the highway. Anyone have any objections to doing a few hundred on the highway for break in? How about running synthetic vs conventional oil?

2012 Sahara

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to stick with the 520 from the dealer for the break in. I've got 200 miles on it and I will put another 400 on tomorrow on the highway. Anyone have any objections to doing a few hundred on the highway for break in? How about running synthetic vs conventional oil?

2012 Sahara

5/20 is a good plan. As far as 400 highway miles, well, here is the break in recommendation - 55ish until 300 miles, but you're probably ok.

IMG_4376.jpg

Lots of different opinions on oil. I use conventional and change every 4,000. Some use synthetic and run longer, but I'm in the camp that believes that more frequent changes for overall cleaner oil is better.

Almost forgot, stop by the wave sub-forum, introduce yourself and post a pick of your ride when you have a minute.

http://wayalife.com/forumdisplay.php?11-Give-us-a-Wave

Last edited:
Top Bottom