Suspicious damage to radiator at dealership

Lexiewalker

Hey all - had my jeep in at a jiffy lube to renew my inspection and was informed that I had a small leak in my power steering pressure hose. I had an appt set up at the local dealership for the repair and dropped it off at 8 am. By 1 o'clock I still hadn't heard from them so I called in to check. I was told it was "a big job" and that they started at 9am and were still busy with it. I know it can be a tricky connection to reach so I gave them the benefit of the doubt. He assures me it will be done soon. 230pm - I am told their courtesy vehicle is coming to pick me up to get my jeep. Not five minutes later I get another call claiming that I apparently have a bad enough "crack" to my radiator that I "wouldn't even be able to drive off the lot." So they've got to keep it overnight. I am officially skeptical. There was not one sign of a crack in the radiator. I've had even a slightly cracked radiator before and it was OBVIOUS that there was in issue. I insist he sends me photos and he obliges. I will attach them. Please correct me (and by me I mean me, my room mate, and a friend who's a mechanic at a dodge dealership in the next town over) if I'm wrong but A) definitely NOT a crack! this looks like damage from some kind of shop tool and B) that severe of a gap in in the bottom of my radiator would NOT have gone unnoticed. If it had happened the day before it would have bled out overnight and the first place I drove in the morning was the dealership for dropoff. I keep getting different stories about what was done when doing the repair work for the pressure hose...originally was told "many aftermarket parts had to be removed specifically the winch and bumper" and then when I mentioned they weren't allowed to do that without my permission the story changed to they had to "work around the aftermarket parts". Am I losing my marbles??? Anyone have any idea wtf could cause this type of a damage? I wasn't able to get back there today but plan to tomorrow. I want to have them prop it up and run water through it. That thing is gonna piss water through that cut proving there's no way that happened on my watch and I was driving around with it and didn't notice it. No way. IMG_6554.jpg IMG_6550.jpg IMG_6553.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Oreo

It's funny how that "crack" is perfectly symmetrical. If that was there before you took it in, I'm sure you would've noticed it because it would've been leaking all over the parking lot.

Lexiewalker

It's funny how that "crack" is perfectly symmetrical. If that was there before you took it in, I'm sure you would've noticed it because it would've been leaking all over the parking lot.

You can't even call that warped. That's a perfect even pinch with a perfect even cut seemingly at least a couple mm wide. I feel like they're trying to tell me the sky is pink

Echota Mota

Man I hate that feeling!!! Sorry about that! I too, have been victim of "mysterious appearances" of damages that were never there before I dropped the vehicle off. And sever damage like that should be enough that some type of previous indication that should have reared it ugly head prior to arrival at the shop. A car that drives on the lot should be able to drive off, so I vowed to never take my vehicle to the shop again without taking a quick video of the exterior, interior, or under the hood while in the service lane at the dealership. Most folks have this technology on their phones....make it a habit and it will save you many headaches and it's very easily settles disputes. As an added benefit is easily presented as evidence to the service manager an....if you have to go to court to prove your point! Most dealerships are honest and management/dealer principals won't want any negative press due to potential video making the news due to "poor customer service". But.....be nice and don't burn bridges....nobody likes a"Tool" plus Karma is a bitch!

Echota Motor

WJCO

Meme King
Sorry for all the communication issues with your dealer, but that line is there from the factory. All JK radiators have it. The actual leak is probably from deeper inside at a core flow tube. For reference I just took pics of the radiator on my wife's Jeep.

IMG_20170418_201630_488.jpg IMG_20170418_201657_395.jpg IMG_20170418_201351.jpg IMG_20170418_201343.jpg IMG_20170418_201338.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Looking at your first picture, there is longer term grime buildup circled in blue. Likely the leak started here. Then circled in red is what looks like a light white coolant stain. My guess is the leak started in this area. Could have been a tiny pinhole that's been leaking slowly for awhile. You may not even see it on the ground if it's a small leak. Hard to say.

IMG_20170418_202328_713.jpg

Lexiewalker

Man I hate that feeling!!! Sorry about that! I too, have been victim of "mysterious appearances" of damages that were never there before I dropped the vehicle off. And sever damage like that should be enough that some type of previous indication that should have reared it ugly head prior to arrival at the shop. A car that drives on the lot should be able to drive off, so I vowed to never take my vehicle to the shop again without taking a quick video of the exterior, interior, or under the hood while in the service lane at the dealership. Most folks have this technology on their phones....make it a habit and it will save you many headaches and it's very easily settles disputes. As an added benefit is easily presented as evidence to the service manager an....if you have to go to court to prove your point! Most dealerships are honest and management/dealer principals won't want any negative press due to potential video making the news due to "poor customer service". But.....be nice and don't burn bridges....nobody likes a"Tool" plus Karma is a bitch!

Echota Motor

Oh trust me. I've been nothing but cordial and professional. And like I said I was really giving them the benefit of the doubt for a while. I'm not the type to chew someone out. I actually think my polite attitude is half the reason I'm being jerked around. :/

Lexiewalker

This doesn't look like a crack to me, It appears to be part of the design. Thats just the frame.. where is the leak?

I was told this was it but again I haven't seen in person. I will be going in the morning bc I'm not sure. I've had a few mechanics I know look at the entire picture and say wtf but I will see tomorrow. (This crossed my mind)

Lexiewalker

Sorry for all the communication issues with your dealer, but that line is there from the factory. All JK radiators have it. The actual leak is probably from deeper inside at a core flow tube. For reference I just took pics of the radiator on my wife's Jeep.

View attachment 254116 View attachment 254117 View attachment 254118 View attachment 254119 View attachment 254120

Wow thanks ok that's helpful. This had actually crossed my mind but both my room mate and my friend at another dodge dealership were putting up the alarm bells on my behalf and really freaking me out. I will see it in person and get it all figured out. Still hard to believe I wouldn't have noticed it as well as the inspection guy but not impossible I suppose

Echota Mota

Great eye WJCO...I missed that in pic #1. Does look like this issue has been building for quite a while. I need to flip slower! With today's technology taking break down photos helps dispel doubt. Yes, I realize that's extra work, but customer's appreciate that level of documentation when a customer is spending North of $500 on a repair.

Top Bottom