Tom Woods drivershaft

Guascone

Hi guys, is there some differences between the drivershaft for jku my09 and my14 with automatic gearbox ?
I have the opportunity to buy a used tom Woods shaft a very good price...

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For the most part, no, there are no differences. Aftermarket shafts typically are made with plenty of slip to fit manual and automatics and with a varying degree of lift. That being said, I personally would steer clear of Tom Woods unless it has upgraded u-joints. The gold seal ones that he uses standard aren't very good and I have seen them fail time and time again. Also, if it isn't a 1350 shaft, I might pass on it as well.

Guascone

For the most part, no, there are no differences. Aftermarket shafts typically are made with plenty of slip to fit manual and automatics and with a varying degree of lift. That being said, I personally would steer clear of Tom Woods unless it has upgraded u-joints. The gold seal ones that he uses standard aren't very good and I have seen them fail time and time again. Also, if it isn't a 1350 shaft, I might pass on it as well.

At the end I received the shaft ( 1310 ) for 50 dollars, a sort of gift, but there are some missing parts.
For sure the two flanges differential side...this one
IMG_3699.jpg

And I think the round one that should be connected to the pinion.

Can I use the rubicon original parts? Has the u-joint the same dimensions?
The condition of the rest of the shaft are very good, it seems brand new.

Here some pictures:
IMG_3700.jpg IMG_3701.jpg
IMG_3702.jpg
IMG_3703.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Guascone

Plese, could you help me to undesrtand which parts i have to buy and the other (if it is possible)that I can take from the old shaft?
Sorry but here in Italy it is not so easy to find information...

Thanks!

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Plese, could you help me to undesrtand which parts i have to buy and the other (if it is possible)that I can take from the old shaft?
Sorry but here in Italy it is not so easy to find information...

Thanks!

The shaft should be fine to use. What your going to need is some spicer or nemco 1310 u joints to replace the shitty good seal ones that are currently installed.

Guascone

The shaft should be fine to use. What your going to need is some spicer or nemco 1310 u joints to replace the shitty good seal ones that are currently installed.

Thanks for your feedback!

The yoke flange is missing...can I use the original one ?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thanks for your feedback!

The yoke flange is missing...can I use the original one ?

Sorry didn't see that in the post above. If you want to use the flange and not swap it out for a yoke then yes you will need a yoke flange for both the t case and axle side.

Guascone

Sorry didn't see that in the post above. If you want to use the flange and not swap it out for a yoke then yes you will need a yoke flange for both the t case and axle side.

thanks again. On the T-Case side the shaft is complete...no issue or missing parts.
Axle side should I by a new yoke flange? Or are there different options?
Nothing is decided, i would like to make the best work but I'm coplete igniorant abou it... :)

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
thanks again. On the T-Case side the shaft is complete...no issue or missing parts.
Axle side should I by a new yoke flange? Or are there different options?
Nothing is decided, i would like to make the best work but I'm coplete igniorant abou it... :)

Lol sorry I'm still waking up so missed the yoke bolted to the shaft.

Axle side you can use that piece you have. It bolts right to the stock flange and then the u joint sits in it. If you don't like that design then you can install a yoke just like what you have on the t case side

Guascone

Lol sorry I'm still waking up so missed the yoke bolted to the shaft.

Axle side you can use that piece you have. It bolts right to the stock flange and then the u joint sits in it. If you don't like that design then you can install a yoke just like what you have on the t case side

sorry again, does it mean that the tom woods u joint has the same dimensions as the original one?

Guascone

Hi, I'm here again with some doubts...:doh:

I had a look on my stock driveshaft...How can I disassembly the u-joint from the yoke flange in order to reuse it (the yoke flange) on the Tom Wods driveshaft? :thinking:

here the pictures:

Drive shaft arrow.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The flange is the part bolted to your pinion - the round disk that the drive shaft is bolted to.

Guascone

Thanks all for your support, I really appreciate it!

Unfortunatelly my english is not so fluent as I would like...I try to summarize the status:

I have a Tom Woods driveshaft. His yoke flange (axle side) is missing.
Can I disassembly the yoke flange from the OEM driveshaft?
It could be assembled on the Tom Woods u-joint?
If yes, I don't know how to remove the retainer that are blocking the OEM u-joint. It seems that they are press-fitted on the yoke.

Sorry again for my bad english and thanks a lot for your help

Last edited:
Top Bottom