Does this look right?

deezus

RK 3.5" lift, fox shocks for 6" lift part number has 985_24_011. Running 4" bumps. My concern is my shocks bottoming out on full stuff. Getting King on Monday hoping shocks won't bottom out. Everyone says I shouldn't have any problems but of it isn't the size of the shock then what could cause it to bottom out? Bad coils?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

deezus

20170421_073841.jpg 20170421_073830.jpg
RK 3.5" lift, fox shocks for 6" lift part number has 985_24_011. Running 4" bumps. My concern is my shocks bottoming out on full stuff. Getting King on Monday hoping shocks won't bottom out. Everyone says I shouldn't have any problems but of it isn't the size of the shock then what could cause it to bottom out? Bad coils?

WJCO

Meme King
Being that the shocks are right next to your bump stops, they geometrically move about the same as the axle cycles. So you could measure the exposed shock shaft and then measure the distance between the bottom of the bump stop cup (not the bottom of the rubber) and the top of the bump platform. If the distance between the bump stops is less than the exposed shock shaft, you will be fine. Basically as in the pic below, if the blue lines hit before the red lines, you'll be fine.

20170421_073830.jpg

black pearl

Hooked
Arnt off the shelf shocks for 2-4" lift 4-6" for length so if your shock is to long is compressed more at ride hight ... I would cycle the suspension and look for it bottoming out

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
J

JKDream

Being that the shocks are right next to your bump stops, they geometrically move about the same as the axle cycles. So you could measure the exposed shock shaft and then measure the distance between the bottom of the bump stop cup (not the bottom of the rubber) and the top of the bump platform. If the distance between the bump stops is less than the exposed shock shaft, you will be fine. Basically as in the pic below, if the blue lines hit before the red lines, you'll be fine.

View attachment 254393

^^ Good Advice.

I'd be surprised if you were bottoming them out with 4 inches of bumpstop.
I have the same shocks and an inch less of bump stop (same lift height) and I have about 1/4" until mine bottom out.
I cut out my rubber stop at the bottom of the shock though as it was causing me to hit - there's really no use for it if you're set up properly.

Ddays

Hooked
Here's a pic of mine I just snapped. I have the same RK kit and shocks but my bump isn't that tall.

Shocks.jpg

I've never had any issues with droop of stuff

droop.jpg

FLEX.jpg

zimm

Caught the Bug
Getting King on Monday hoping shocks won't bottom out.

Which shocks? The 2.5 EVO valved adjustables? Where'd you get them from? When I asked EVO, it was a few months to get them in stock. I'd love to know how they work, I'm tempted to upgrade my Fox 2.0 IPF's to the adjustable Kings.

From my research, if I do get them, I'm going to clear coat the heck out of the shock bodies so they don't rust.

deezus

Here's a pic of mine I just snapped. I have the same RK kit and shocks but my bump isn't that tall.

View attachment 254395

I've never had any issues with droop of stuff

View attachment 254396

View attachment 254397
Thanks man so those pics tell me I'm not crazy. I'm getting Kings next week, 223a front 224a rear. I think I may get some shock back. Not sure though. Also the fleeeex is great on the factor IMO. Nice pics.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

deezus

Which shocks? The 2.5 EVO valved adjustables? Where'd you get them from? When I asked EVO, it was a few months to get them in stock. I'd love to know how they work, I'm tempted to upgrade my Fox 2.0 IPF's to the adjustable Kings.

From my research, if I do get them, I'm going to clear coat the heck out of the shock bodies so they don't rust.
Same here, Northridge had 2 rears and 1 front. Had to go to the big box store and get regular Kings. 25001-223a/224a.

aermotor

The King 2.5s will destroy the Fox's but they come at at price. I love mine, the ride and what they eat up is amazing.

Aluminum doesn't rust.... maybe I'm missing something but I've never seen the 2.5s (or any King on a JK) rust and mine certainly aren't. Even with the previous owner drowning them at the beach and living there.

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
Aluminum doesn't rust.... maybe I'm missing something but I've never seen the 2.5s (or any King on a JK) rust

:cheesy: Said the man from LA with no road salt!
OK, so they don't rust, but the shit they lay down on our roads over here eats cars alive. Aluminum will pit, oxidize and look like ass after a month if left untreated. Really sucks.

Andy5160

Hooked
:cheesy: Said the man from LA with no road salt!
OK, so they don't rust, but the shit they lay down on our roads over here eats cars alive. Aluminum will pit, oxidize and look like ass after a month if left untreated. Really sucks.

Time to move to the west!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hot94Z28

Aluminum doesn't rust.... maybe I'm missing something but I've never seen the 2.5s (or any King on a JK) rust and mine certainly aren't. Even with the previous owner drowning them at the beach and living there.

Aluminum will look like shit after just one winter here.

Here is my Bilsteins shocks I ran after just one winter next to my Ranchos I switched them for.
IMG_0484.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

deezus

View attachment 254393
Ty, very good explanation.

deezus

The King 2.5s will destroy the Fox's but they come at at price. I love mine, the ride and what they eat up is amazing.

That's why I'm getting them. [emoji3]

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
From the pic you posted, the bottom of the shaft is still dirty for maybe an inch or better. So to my mind that tells me you aren't bottoming out the shock during stuff. Maybe get the air bumps to go with your new shocks to cushion the hits.

deezus

From the pic you posted, the bottom of the shaft is still dirty for maybe an inch or better. So to my mind that tells me you aren't bottoming out the shock during stuff. Maybe get the air bumps to go with your new shocks to cushion the hits.
Thanks man, another upgrade, when will this madness end?

Top Bottom