Rock hard JKU sport cage install issue

Hey all, just thought I would pass this along. While installing my Rock Hard Sport cage, I ran into an issue that hasn't been covered anywhere that I've been able to find. When putting in the overhead bar (the one that goes across from driver to passenger side) I had a hell of a time getting to to go all the way forward against the weld on the windshield brace. I found that, on my 2014 there were 2 what I would call "button" welds, possibly part of the casting just in front of the holes that the freedom panel pins go into. They are about the size of a penny and stick up about 1/16th of an inch and they WILL NOT let the bar go all the way forward.
You will have to grind them down (recommend a dremel) in order for everything to fit correctly.

Not sure if all the newer JK's have them but mine did, so I thought I would share the tip.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hey all, just thought I would pass this along. While installing my Rock Hard Sport cage, I ran into an issue that hasn't been covered anywhere that I've been able to find. When putting in the overhead bar (the one that goes across from driver to passenger side) I had a hell of a time getting to to go all the way forward against the weld on the windshield brace. I found that, on my 2014 there were 2 what I would call "button" welds, possibly part of the casting just in front of the holes that the freedom panel pins go into. They are about the size of a penny and stick up about 1/16th of an inch and they WILL NOT let the bar go all the way forward.
You will have to grind them down (recommend a dremel) in order for everything to fit correctly.

Not sure if all the newer JK's have them but mine did, so I thought I would share the tip.

If you took a photo of them please share with us. That's a new one.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I preinstalled a Rock Hard sport cage on my 2014 JKUR and did not have this issue. Picked up from PC today and will reinstall tonight.

4xqFJwN.jpg
[/IMG]

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
One thing I would have liked to see Rock Hard discuss in the install video is the trimming that is necessary on Front Side Door Surrounds to install the factory soft top. Definitely not a big deal, but a heads up on the video or in the directions would be a nice touch.

cgv2qvq.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
That looks like a sloppy factory weld that probably needs ground down so the knuckle slides over it. I had to "persuade" mine into place some.

Yeah that's basically what I did. Some carful application of a Dremel and some black touch up paint and it was good as new.

I went over and looked at a few other JKU's we have on the lot and there is another 2013 that has them too.

Ddays

Hooked
Yeah that's basically what I did. Some carful application of a Dremel and some black touch up paint and it was good as new.

I went over and looked at a few other JKU's we have on the lot and there is another 2013 that has them too.

Yeah, the word "precision" usually isn't associated with Wranger construction :crazyeyes:

Andy5160

Hooked
One thing I would have liked to see Rock Hard discuss in the install video is the trimming that is necessary on Front Side Door Surrounds to install the factory soft top. Definitely not a big deal, but a heads up on the video or in the directions would be a nice touch.

cgv2qvq.jpg
[/IMG]

I know Eddie has a write up on the install which covers all the trimming. I guess RH could be a bit more specific in your case.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Ha. I saw the write-up just minutes after my post when searching for pics of the KC-CB mount. Wish I would have seen it two weeks ago. Lol.

Top Bottom