Front Dana 44 Housing?

Olean NY Jeeper

I owned a 2009 JK and was very active on the previous forum but i traded it in on TJ rubicon and have been in the TJ world now for a couple of years. I am now the proud owner of a brand new 2017 Unlimited Rubicon. My question, Have they fixed the housing issue? I sleeved my previous front axle and trussed it based of multiple people on internet (as well as one friend in local club) who were snapping front axle housings and tearing off track bar brackets. Any better? or same housing? An internet search seems to bring up mostly 07-10 model years and I was wondering if Chrysler made changes. Thanks. Glad to be back :)

J

JKDream

I owned a 2009 JK and was very active on the previous forum but i traded it in on TJ rubicon and have been in the TJ world now for a couple of years. I am now the proud owner of a brand new 2017 Unlimited Rubicon. My question, Have they fixed the housing issue? I sleeved my previous front axle and trussed it based of multiple people on internet (as well as one friend in local club) who were snapping front axle housings and tearing off track bar brackets. Any better? or same housing? An internet search seems to bring up mostly 07-10 model years and I was wondering if Chrysler made changes. Thanks. Glad to be back :)

Same housing, same problems.

Eezybreezy08

I just bought a new rubicon housing from mopar. It's called the hd 44 with j8 tubes. The only thing I've heard different about that is the tubes are an 1/8 in thicker. Now I don't know if they come stock in the newer model rubicon's or if it's just something you can buy on the side. But other than the tubes being a little bigger, everything else is the same. So I know it's not like it's gonna help that much more. But like folks say, every little bit helps, so I'll take it. Also if you ever plan to upgrade to a arb locker and 35 splines, you won't want to sleeve it

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

I just bought a new rubicon housing from mopar. It's called the hd 44 with j8 tubes. The only thing I've heard different about that is the tubes are an 1/8 in thicker. Now I don't know if they come stock in the newer model rubicon's or if it's just something you can buy on the side. But other than the tubes being a little bigger, everything else is the same. So I know it's not like it's gonna help that much more. But like folks say, every little bit helps, so I'll take it. Also if you ever plan to upgrade to a arb locker and 35 splines, you won't want to sleeve it

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hate to break it to you - but a J8 housing has all of the same issues the regular housings do.
The tube strength increase is extremely minimal, and it still has the same weak end forgings.
Sleeves shouldn't be considered in any scenario, they don't provide any help where the axle needs it.

OP - The stock housing isn't THAT bad, and will certainly last you while you save for something better.
That is if you are planning on running a large 37+ tire. C-Gussets and drive it :beer:

aermotor

Sleeve and truss if you want to waste your money. Save for a PR44 or better or leave it alone until you break it.

You've already bought in unfortunately cause the the newer 'Recon" edition apparently has improved C's and is beefier.

Olean NY Jeeper

It is disappointing that they didn't make any changes. I will just wheel it as is and when and if it breaks buy a pro rock. I am not spending a nickel on it. I will be building in stages anyway. Going to wheel it stock suspension and tires for 1-2 years. Im going to focus on skids, front and rear bumpers and winch first. Then probably jump to 35s. Not going to wheel this one has hard. I beat the piss out of 2009. No more red trails as Rausch creek lol. It is also my daily driver. When I had MY JK and my previous TJ an LJ they were second vehicles.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
You don't even need the whole set up, just the housing and better ball joints (comes with the same stupid plastic lined stock ones) Somewhere in the $2200-2400 ballpark I think. At least you got a rubicon so it will be much cheaper than what I had to buy for my sport.

Top Bottom