Who makes the best springs?

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Welcome to WAL!

If you're looking for the "best" ride quality only you can answer that because it's 100% subjective.

seansheds

I know it's subjective but would a correct assumption be that you're better off going with progressive or dual rate springs vs linear if you want a good road ride as well as off road feel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know it's subjective but would a correct assumption be that you're better off going with progressive or dual rate springs vs linear if you want a good road ride as well as off road feel?

Based on what? Progressive or dual rate coils are great at keeping you from sagging when loaded up but I have always found them to ride way too stiff for my taste and they kind of suck when it comes to stuff when flexing. Of course, that's just based on my limited experience.

seansheds

Based on what? Progressive or dual rate coils are great at keeping you from sagging when loaded up but I have always found them to ride way too stiff for my taste and they kind of suck when it comes to stuff when flexing. Of course, that's just based on my limited experience.

Good to know. I'm new to all this and the choices for lifts is overwhelming. Everyone has their preferred vendor, but I'm trying to get as much info as I can before making my selection. What brand would you recommend based on your experience for a 2.5-3.5" kit? Right now my best bet is to listen to the veterans and then make an educated decision.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good to know. I'm new to all this and the choices for lifts is overwhelming. Everyone has their preferred vendor, but I'm trying to get as much info as I can before making my selection. What brand would you recommend based on your experience for a 2.5-3.5" kit? Right now my best bet is to listen to the veterans and then make an educated decision.

For me personally, I prefer a soft coil - softer, the better. Aside from the load range of your tires and how much psi you run in them, your coils will provide most of your ride comfort, way more than your shocks and so the softer they are, the better especially for daily driving. Of course, when it comes to the flex department, a softer coil will give you more stuff as well. The down side to a soft linear coil is that they can bow and do tend to sag when your Jeep is loaded up with occupants and gear. This is why most lift coils are so stiff and why most will yield way more lift than is advertised. However, for me, I would rather run coil spacers and make up the difference than run a stiffer coil or one that is progressive or dual rated. Of the coils I have run in the past, I prefer EVO Plush Ride but I have also had good results with Full-Traction. Of course, there are plenty of people out there who prefer a ride that is firmer or want their Jeep to look level even when loaded up with a ton of gear and if you're one of them, these coils may not be for you.

SilverBack775

Let me be more clear, which company makes the best quality springs for a 2.5 to 3.5 lift?? I'm talking about the quality of the spring. Example, roughcountry springs are cheaper than say teraflex, or rock krawler. I prefer a stiffer ride.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

SilverBack775

Welcome to WAL!

If you're looking for the "best" ride quality only you can answer that because it's 100% subjective.

I'm a king about the springs themselves, for example rough country is cheaper then rock krawler springs. Why is this? Is the quality steel better ok the rock krawler? Or ?? I'm looking for stiffer ride, and I understand it's subjective. I just want to know who makes the best quality spring

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
3" Evo plush ride
Front part #EVO-1401
Rear part #EVO-1402
$189.99 for each pair, right off the Off Road Evolution website. That's your middle ground for desired height.

SilverBack775

Ok thanks! So with those springs, and 3 inch, what else do I need with those? Shocks of course, front and rear track bar? This is the part I'm not sure of. What other parts do I need with those evo 3 coils?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Let me be more clear, which company makes the best quality springs for a 2.5 to 3.5 lift?? I'm talking about the quality of the spring. Example, roughcountry springs are cheaper than say teraflex, or rock krawler. I prefer a stiffer ride.

If you're talking about "quality" in terms of how well they are made as opposed to how they "ride", most coils are gonna do what they're made to do. With the exception of coils made in China as is the case with Teraflex, lift kit manufacturers simply order up springs using the specs they are wanting. If you like a stiff ride, few come close to TeraFlex. Rock Krawler is definitely a good option as well but most of their spring setups leave you with an ass low stance.

I looked at EVO, and I don't see any 2.5 or 3.5 lift kits?? They have 2 inch front coils, but no rear??

Pretty much EVERY 2.5" lift coil out there I have personally installed and tested has yielded 3"+ of lift and same goes for 3.5" as they have yielded 4"+ of lift. If you like a stiff ride, I don't think EVO is what you want.

Another good option would be Rancho. They are on the softer side but I think a bit more firm than EVO and not only are they affordable, they are also made in the USA.

SilverBack775

For me personally, I prefer a soft coil - softer, the better. Aside from the load range of your tires and how much psi you run in them, your coils will provide most of your ride comfort, way more than your shocks and so the softer they are, the better especially for daily driving. Of course, when it comes to the flex department, a softer coil will give you more stuff as well. The down side to a soft linear coil is that they can bow and do tend to sag when your Jeep is loaded up with occupants and gear. This is why most lift coils are so stiff and why most will yield way more lift than is advertised. However, for me, I would rather run coil spacers and make up the difference than run a stiffer coil or one that is progressive or dual rated. Of the coils I have run in the past, I prefer EVO Plush Ride but I have also had good results with Full-Traction. Of course, there are plenty of people out there who prefer a ride that is firmer or want their Jeep to look level even when loaded up with a ton of gear and if you're one of them, these coils may not be for you.

Thanks Eddie, ok so I found evo's 3 inch springs for the front and rear. What else do I need with those to get back on the road? Being a broken veteran and broke paying my ex wife and kids. Money is short these days. Lol so I have about 750 to start. I get those evo springs, what else do I need with that kit to get by while I save up for the other stuff. Shocks of course, but??

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Best bet is to do the entire 3' enforcer kit comes with everything you need except shocks and a front drive shaft (can use spacers). $1289.99 You shouldn't need to do the drag link flip at that height.
Read this thread http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?8667-Enforcers-Unite!&highlight=enforcers+unite

If $750 is your budget then wait and save to do right and once. As Eddie said, Rancho is really good too. If you like a stiff ride for cheap there's always Rubicon express. You can get the whole lift @3.5 with shocks for about what you have to spend. That was the first lift I had on mine but I did add the Rancho control arm drop brackets and it handled nice. You may find a new definition for stiff springs though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom