Modified Carrich's iPad mini mount install - powered and cooled

GraniteCrystal

Modified Carrich's iPad mini mount install - powered and cooled

I'll create a separate thread for this, but posting it here first.

Here is video link showing functionality and end result: https://youtu.be/rVfyRpq6kY8

I recently purchased the iPad mini mount from Carrich's using the amazing wayalife discount (thanks!). It looked promising, my 430N has just crapped out in terms of navigation, and my sister-in-law was willing to sell me her unused iPad mini for $50. The stars aligned.

If you're just installing the mount with an iPad, you can do this in an hour or so. However, since I'm basically using the iPad as a replacement for the 430N, I went to greater lengths. If you do everything in this how-to, I'd set aside a full day. Benefits of my system include:

1) full-time power to iPad
2) dedicated GPS unit (not necessary if your iPad has GPS, mine is WiFi only)
3) full-time power to GPS unit
4) turn-by-turn navigation
5) can watch Netflix, etc while driving (not true with stock 430N unit which disables DVD player when driving)
6) active cooling system for iPad so it doesn't overheat when hot outside, doors/top off, and watching movies, using navigation, etc
7) iPad is removable with little effort (may or may not be a benefit depending on the neighborhood you live in)
8) audio is piped thru the entire Jeep sound system and volume controlled thru steering wheel
9) still can listen to radio, etc using steering wheel controls
10) much nicer screen than any replacement unit for the 430N I've seen and for a fraction of the price
11) more stable due to mechanical reinforcement of position on dash

I'll break this down into a few options. Most people will fall in 1 of 4 categories:
Category A - I just want to install the mount and have it hold my iPad
Category B - I want to install the mount and run full-time power to the iPad
Category C - I want to install the mount and a GPS unit and run full-time power to both
Category D - I want to install the mount and GPS unit, run full-time power to both, and pipe some AC in to cool the iPad

For each step below, I'll call out which group of people need to perform the step (roughly speaking). It's ultimately up to you to decide which steps you want to do.

Also, I'm putting these in the most logical order looking back on it. This was not the order I did them in as my strategy had to change multiple times and I was figuring it out as I went. If you feel I missed a step, please call it out. I'll do my best to keep this post updated with the most accurate information.

Materials & Supplies
No need to use exactly what I did, but I'll include links so you know if you're getting the equivalent
1) Flush fit, dual port, USB car charger for cigarette lighter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M6QODH2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
1.jpg

2) Aux-in cable, also known as headphone cable, 1.5' long
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2MY88J/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2.jpg

3) Charger cable for iPad (if you don't have one or don't want to leave it full-time in the Jeep)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010U3XVMU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3.jpg

4) GPS unit that connects via Bluetooth to iOS devices
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006M49G80/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3_1.jpg

5) Assorted drill bits (you're mostly drilling plastic and a little metal)
6) One of the plastic push pin things that holds your fenders on
7) Painters tape
8) Electrical tape
9) Velcro
10) Rubber grommets (you'll need two, sizes will vary based on the power cords you use. Just get a variety from the hardward store, they're like $0.34 each)
11) 7mm socket and extension
12) Some sprinkler hose tubing from Lowes - see step 33
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Orbit-12-in-Flexible-Riser/3424922
13) Hinged screw covers, qty 2 in case you screw one up (Ace Hardware is a great place to find these) - see step 44

Step 1: plug in dual port power adapter to cigarette lighter (B, C, D)
4.jpg

Next several steps follow the Carrich's instructions, but here are better pics explaining.

Step 2: pop out the window controls (A, B, C, D)
5.jpg

Step 3: Remove the red lock switch (A, B, C, D)
Here it is in place:
6.jpg

And removed:
7.jpg

Step 4: push down on the black release and remove window controls entirely (A, B, C, D)
8.jpg
How it looks once they're out of the way:
9.jpg

Step 5: Use a 7mm socket and extension to remove bolt (A, B, C, D)
10.jpg

Step 6: pop off the dash part underneath the steering wheel (A, B, C, D)
11.jpg
How it looks with it removed:
12.jpg

Step 7: Use 7mm socket to remove bolts on left and right side of steering wheel (A, B, C, D)
13.jpg

Step 8: remove dash (A, B, C, D)
Lowering the steering wheel will help. Grip as shown and pull toward you. Does not take very much force. Don't force it.
14.jpg

How it looks with it removed:
15.jpg

At this point in the process, take the dash over to your workbench. The Carrich's instructions call for it to be mounted up, but I wasn't getting quite the fit I wanted. Here is a side pic of it not mating as well as I'd like (notice gap above top piece of blue tape):
16.jpg

which is largely due to this bow in the plastic:
17.jpg

I wanted a better fit, so I decided to modify it.

Step 9: heat the Carrich's mount with blow dryer or heat gun (A, B, C, D)
18.jpg

Step 10: Use your hands to bend it outward and hold until it cools (A, B, C, D)
Here is a pic of it when I was done...much flatter:
19.jpg

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

Step 11: tape it onto the dash (A, B, C, D)
Here you can see it's mating much better:
20.jpg

And here is where the bottom of mine sat, so you can get an idea where it should go:
21.jpg

Step 12: clean the back side using Carrich's provided adhesion helper (A, B, C, D)
22.jpg

Step 13: place the Carrich's provided templates (A, B, C, D)
23.jpg

Step 14: peel off the covers and stick the bar magnets to the backside of the dash (A, B, C, D)
24.jpg

Step 15: peel off the covers and stick circle magnets to the backside of the dash (A, B, C, D)
25.jpg

Step 16: check the fit (A, B, C, D)
26.jpg

At this point, you're done as far as the Carrich's instructions are concerned. You can put it back together and call it a day. However, we are just getting started.

Step 17: go find one of those plastic push pin things that hold your fenders on (A, B, C, D)
Luckily I keep everything, so I still had the cut fenders sitting around. Yank out one of the push pins; you can cut the head off to get it out
27.jpg

Step 18: use knife/wire snips to cut off the outer sheath
28.jpg

The result should look like this (we'll call this the push pin core):
29.jpg

Step 19: measure half way across your mount and put very small mark (A, B, C, D)
30.jpg

Step 20: use a 5/32" drill bit to drill a press fit hole for your push pin core (A, B, C, D)
Feel free to double check that 5/32 drill bit recommendation in scrap plastic. Hole should go through the mount and through the dash:
31.jpg

Result will look like this with mount removed:
32.jpg

Step 21: push the push pin core up from bottom, thru the hole (A, B, C, D)
It should be a press fit so it'll take some effort
33.jpg

Here it is from a few feet back. Not very noticeable:
34.jpg

Step 22: use a 3/16" drill bit to drill a clearance hole in the mount in that same hole (just widening it out) (A, B, C, D)

Step 23: check fit (A, B, C, D)
Should slide right on and snap over the push pin core for additional stability
35.jpg

Side view:
36.jpg

Now if I go jostling around on the trail, the iPad is much less likely to fall to the floor (tested this on Yankee Hill trail in Colorado and iPad never moved once).

If you're in Category A, you're done. Put your dash back together, do the first steps in reverse order and you're good to go.

Step 24: mark hole for Aux in cable (B, C, D)
This was a little tough to do, but get it as close as you can
37.jpg

Step 25: drill the hole (B, C, D)
38.jpg

Aux cable should now fit through like so:
39.jpg

Note: if you're not getting sound through all speakers when you're done or the sound is really quiet, your aux cable isn't sitting all the way inside the iPad. Widen the hole out so the aux cable pushes through a bit more and fully enters the iPad.

GraniteCrystal

ProTip: at this point your iPad and cables should look something like this:
40.jpg
Be smart and purchase a power cable that has a 90deg angle in it though, similar to this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUV1ZME/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AHCIB7169Z89
to avoid the bend in the wire seen here:
41.jpg

Ok, at this point things really start getting interesting. Get used to the idea of drilling holes in things :)

Step 26: drill hole for iPad power cable in stock unit (B, C, D)
You're just drilling thru plastic and some thin metal on the backside. Start with a small drill bit and work your way up to whatever size is needed to push your iPad power cable through.
42.jpg

Here is my final hole (not pretty because I didn't start with a small drill bit as I should've)
42_1.jpg

Step 27: pull back bottom part of dash (B, C, D)
Grip as shown and pull toward you
42_2.jpg

Step 28: drill holes for cords (B, C, D)
If you don't have a separate GPS unit, just drill one hole. They're really slots more than holes. You'll need to take a bit off the front piece too for it to fit flush
42_3.jpg

How it should look with both power cables running behind the dash:
42_4.jpg

Step 29: drill hole for GPS unit power in top of dash (C, D)
Use whatever size drill bit necessary to push the power cable for the GPS through it
43.jpg

Step 30: put rubber grommet in GPS power hole drilled out in step 29 (C, D)
I cut mine flush as shown to get it to fit:
43_1.jpg

Step 31: run the power cables if you haven't already (B, C, D)
At this point you should be able to run your power cables from the power adapter in the cigarette lighter, up through the dash, and out their respective holes. The GPS power will just sit on top of the radio until the dash is back in place. The iPad power can be run out its hole as shown here:
44.jpg

Next up is the cooling system for the iPad. Reading online, some guys complained the iPad started to overheat when out in the sun all day, doing CPU intensive tasks. I wanted to avoid this, so I piped the AC of the Jeep into a new little port that blows air onto the back of the iPad. Here is how to make it happen:

Step 32: create AC tubing (D)
Disassemble this guy
46.jpg
until he looks like this
47.jpg

Step 33: use a 1/2" drill bit and drill a hole in dash
Position hole as shown:
44_1.jpg
How it looks when done:
44_2.jpg

Step 34: use a 1/2" bit and drill a hole for the cooling system in the stock unit (D)
Again, just going through plastic and a bit of metal on the backside. To line it up right, put the dash back into place and use the hole drilled in step 33 to line you up. Start with smaller bit and work your way up to 1/2"
45.jpg
Widen out the hole until the tubing in step 32 fits through just barely (without black plastic expanders at each end)

Step 35: cut the tubing to length (D)
Insert tubing and get an idea for overall length needed to bend downward toward the AC duct. Cut to length.
48.jpg

Step 36: Drill a 1/2" hole in the AC duct where tubing will contact (D)
49.jpg

Should look like this:
50.jpg

Step 37: Bend tubing downward and through hole (D)
51.jpg

Step 38: Insert black expander back in (D)
Once it's in, pull tubing back into hole for tight fit
52.jpg

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

Step 39: Insert black expander into front side as well (D)
53.jpg

Should look like this at this point:
54.jpg

Step 40: test the flow of oxygen (D)
Put your key in and turn on the AC. You should be able to feel air flowing out of the tubing we just added.

Step 41: drill hole in front dash for iPad power cable (B, C, D)
57.jpg

Step 42: insert rubber grommet
Again, I cut mine as shown. Before on left and after on right:
57_1.jpg

Here it is in the dash:
58.jpg

Step 43: put the dash back on (B, C, D)
Don't do the screws yet, but push it back into place. iPad power should look like this:
59.jpg

AC tubing should look like this:
60.jpg

Be sure to run the GPS power through the hole drilled as well.

Step 44: Widen hole in screw cap so as not to limit air flow (D)
In the winter time, I don't want to be blowing heat on the iPad. Thus, I added a cover I can close to turn off the flow. I used a lighter to widen out the hole but an exacto knife could also work. Before on the left and after on the right.
61.jpg
Make sure cap still opens/closes properly after modifying it.

Step 45: Glue the cover over the AC duct (D)
A little super glue works just fine.
62.jpg

Should look like this when done:
63.jpg

Ok, next up are GPS modifications. Here is the Dual Electronics XGPS150A Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver I purchased which, as you can see, came with a non-slip base. However, the Jeep doesn't have that much dash area, so I rolled my own.
64.jpg

The bottom of the unit has a slit for the arm band to go through. We're going to cut that off to get a nice flat surface.
65.jpg

Step 46: cut off arm band slit of GPS (C, D)
66.jpg

Looks like this when cleaned up. Yep, turns out that opens up the electronics of it, so we'll need to seal that back up.
67.jpg

Step 47: cover slits with electrical tape
In addition to the velcro we'll add, this is another layer of protection
68.jpg

Step 48: Cut out velcro
Here is the product I used
69.jpg

Cut out identical pieces to cover the bottom of the GPS unit
70.jpg

Step 49: apply velcro to GPS unit
71.jpg

Stick the other sides on too, but leave adhesive covering on
72.jpg

GraniteCrystal

Step 50: color the edges black (C, D)
The white was driving me nuts, so I used a Sharpie and made them black
73.jpg

Now it looks like this:
74.jpg

Step 51: mount GPS to top of Carrich's mount (C, D)
Remove the adhesive and firmly push the GPS down on top of the mount
75.jpg

Step 52: put Carrichs mount on dash and plug everything in
Aux cable stays plugged into iPad. Now plug the other end into the Aux In port of the stock unit. Once the Carrich's mount is on the dash, plug the iPad power cable into the iPad as well. Lastly, plug the GPS power cable into the GPS.

GPS power should look like this when done:
Finished3.jpg

Finished4.jpg

That's it! Put the 7mm bolts back in, push your dash piece beneath the steering wheel back on, put the window controls back in and you're good to go.

Here are some finished pics
Finished2.jpg

Finished2_1.jpg

View from the outside (not so noticeable that I'm worried about it getting stolen).
Finished5.jpg

Finished6.jpg

Close up showing the iPad charging:
IMG_20170415_132953.jpg

Hope that's helpful to others! As always, happy to answer questions!

BONUS SECTION: How to download Google Maps for offline use
I really wanted my turn-by-turn navigation back. To get that, I needed more than just a GPS receiver. I need Google to be able to find locations and directions. Here is how to do that.

Step 1: Open Google Maps and tap on 3 bars in upper left
google1.jpg

Step 2: Select "Offline areas"
google2.jpg

Step 3: Select "Custom area"
google3.jpg

Step 4: Zoom and drag to desired area
I was able to do the NW part of the state in one Offline Area and the SW part of the state in a second Offline Area (and who cares about east Colorado?)
google4.jpg

That's it!

Here is me getting turn-by-turn while driving along the freeway on the way to the trailhead last night. I can stop at any point, do a search for a new location, and re-route myself there.
google5.jpg

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

That's amazing! I love your how to's and how in depth they are. Thanks for the great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Wow that looks great! And a very detailed write up as well!
Thanks guys!
That turned out awesome! How did it do off-roading? Any jiggling around or rattling?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Did awesome. Yankee Hill is a rocky, bumpy trail. Lots of jolts and bumps. I never noticed it move.

DVLDOG

Awesome....all of it....can't wait to try that trail.

2004 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 L, Graphite Metallic, Stock

Top Bottom