Effing freedom top leak

jeepr13

I've scoured the internet trying to figure out a solution to the leak in the center of my freedom top panels right at the footman loop, but nothing has worked so far. Made sure the panels are installed correctly with the seals flat, cleaned and greased seals, added weather stripping, nothing has even slightly helped stop the leak. Anyone have any ideas? all this rain lately has made for a soggy jeep everytime I drive...

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
The first thing I'd do is go right down to the dealer and get a warranty repair. Your Jeep looks pretty new.

jeepr13

I've scoured the internet trying to figure out a solution to the leak in the center of my freedom top panels right at the footman loop, but nothing has worked so far. Made sure the panels are installed correctly with the seals flat, cleaned and greased seals, added weather stripping, nothing has even slightly helped stop the leak. Anyone have any ideas? all this rain lately has made for a soggy jeep everytime I drive...

Looks new, but it is a 2008 so well out of warranty sadly, sorry should have mentioned that part in my initial post. Dealer is a last resort as I know they are going to charge an arm and a leg.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Step 1, remove the hard top. Step two, install soft top. No more leaks. I kid you not, 3 hard tops have leaked on me, but my soft tops haven't.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeepr13

Step 1, remove the hard top. Step two, install soft top. No more leaks. I kid you not, 3 hard tops have leaked on me, but my soft tops haven't.

Haha that is the plan eventually (money is a bit tight right now). Hardtops (aside from the bit of extra security they provide) are a pain.

SilverBack

Make sure there are no tears or folds on the seals and small foam pieces. They are very finicky and divert the water more so than stop it. Check to make sure you footman loop isn't bent so that it doesn't pull the tops down, the clamp shouldn't close easily at all. Also, make sure there is no damage to the clamp itself, there should be no play or wiggle to the clamp handle.. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

ChopperDoc

I like the soft top idea,,,, I also have a hard top and every time i fix a leak another leak starts . My hard top just needs to go can't wait till i can get a soft top.

black pearl

Hooked
I couldn't get my center seem to stop leaking and I put 3/4" spring spacers in the back to level the jeep back out after adding my rear bumper and it stoped leaking but if I park with the nose higher then the back in the rain it will leak ... so I think in my case where it all meets it would let the water weep in

jeeeep

Hooked
if you're using the interior bolts for the hardtop and you tighten them too much it causes the front of the freedom panels to lift and they will leak - it'll also leak along the center seam since the panels are under tension.

I took the bolts out when I first removed the freedom panels in 2010 and haven't used the bolts since - no leaks.

200501.jpg

Last edited:

black pearl

Hooked
if you're using the interior bolts for the hardtop and you tighten them too much it causes the front of the freedom panels to lift and they will leak - it'll also leak along the center seam since the panels are under tension.

I took the bolts out when I first removed the freedom panels in 2010 and haven't used the bolts since - no leaks.

View attachment 254836

I stopped using those soon after, as I always put them someplace creative and spent to much time looking for them [emoji23][emoji23]

Top Bottom