2008 Door Hinges

Basscat

My little 10 year old 115 lb Man Child hung off the right rear door on the 2008 JKUR "Milk Cow" and sprung the door downward just enough that it misses the latch. I grabbed it and pulled up on it springing it back in place. I can't see any movement at all in any of the hinges but assume the upper hinge pin is either bent or broken? Given the way this thing goes together (threaded Torx cap on bottom / seated and splined pin cap on top) I won't know till I punch the pin out. After reading up on the hinges I see there have been quite a few problems including a recall on the hinge paint job.

Has anyone disassembled the hinges to replace the metal bushings with Derlin bushings? Is it worth the hassle? How much hassle is it?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I have put in the derlin liners, along with so many others. It really makes taking the doors on and off a lot easier and takes maybe 20 minutes to install them all.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You probably have a hinge loose. I know you said you didn't but I have never seen a human bend steel back in place with their bare hands. I can't see you being able to bend the door back in place with a little push.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm gonna have to go with the hinges having shifted a bit. I would just loosen them up a bit at the pillar, the 13mm ones, make corrections as needed and tighten the bolts back up.

Basscat

You probably have a hinge loose. I know you said you didn't but I have never seen a human bend steel back in place with their bare hands. I can't see you being able to bend the door back in place with a little push.

That's why I'm thinking the pin in the upper hinge is cracked, bent or broken. I can tell you no hinge plate has shifted.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom