Rubicon locker help

austin160

I just swapped Rubi axles under my sport. I haven't wired up the lockers yet, I was planning on running them not hooked up until I get an sPod. Now the lockers are engaged, confirmed by jacking the Jeep up and spinning tires. Does the actuator need power to extend and disengage the locker ring? IMG_1144.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

I just swapped Rubi axles under my sport. I haven't wired up the lockers yet, I was planning on running them not hooked up until I get an sPod. Now the lockers are engaged, confirmed by jacking the Jeep up and spinning tires. Does the actuator need power to extend and disengage the locker ring? View attachment 255612

No. The lockers should only be engaged if they are getting power from the battery.
If they are locked and no power is being given - then one of two things is happening.
Either the push sensor (upper plug) was installed incorrectly and forcing the ring over and not allowing the locker to unlock.
Or the less likely reason is the axle is bent and causing the shaft to sit off center and binding the spider gears.

austin160

No. The lockers should only be engaged if they are getting power from the battery.
If they are locked and no power is being given - then one of two things is happening.
Either the push sensor (upper plug) was installed incorrectly and forcing the ring over and not allowing the locker to unlock.
Or the less likely reason is the axle is bent and causing the shaft to sit off center and binding the spider gears.

I the axles just got sleeves installed with no problems. Plus the rear is doing it also. Upper plug, you mean the one on top of the axle housing and not the plunger?

J

JKDream

I the axles just got sleeves installed with no problems. Plus the rear is doing it also. Upper plug, you mean the one on top of the axle housing and not the plunger?

No I meant the plunger.
If you aren't going to run the plug to the dash you can remove it so that doesn't happen again.

austin160

Follow up dumb question. Is the plunger necessary for the locker to engage? Since the electromagnet gets it signal from the plug on top, and that is what pushes it away to engage the dog clutch to lock. Since I am not using a factory harness or switches I wont have the "axle lock" indication anyway. Can I plug the hole where the plunger is mounted, wire in the other plug, and still SAFELY drive the vehicle and use the lockers as needed? Maybe I am not searching the right phrases, but I can find much on the lockers.

J

JKDream

Follow up dumb question. Is the plunger necessary for the locker to engage? Since the electromagnet gets it signal from the plug on top, and that is what pushes it away to engage the dog clutch to lock. Since I am not using a factory harness or switches I wont have the "axle lock" indication anyway. Can I plug the hole where the plunger is mounted, wire in the other plug, and still SAFELY drive the vehicle and use the lockers as needed? Maybe I am not searching the right phrases, but I can find much on the lockers.

It is not necessary - it's only purpose it to signal the light on the dash.
The locker only needs a 12V power source hooked up to the connector on top of the differential.
I run mine to a 20AMP switch with a LED to let me know when its HOT and getting power.
I used a 1/2" long bolt to plug the hole.

If you need any other help let me know.

austin160

It is not necessary - it's only purpose it to signal the light on the dash.
The locker only needs a 12V power source hooked up to the connector on top of the differential.
I run mine to a 20AMP switch with a LED to let me know when its HOT and getting power.
I used a 1/2" long bolt to plug the hole.

If you need any other help let me know.

So your setup is operating without the plunger? Are there any issues with disengaging the locker? That could be the only other purpose of the plunger I can see. When it retracts it helps to pull the plate back away from the dog clutch.

J

JKDream

So your setup is operating without the plunger? Are there any issues with disengaging the locker? That could be the only other purpose of the plunger I can see. When it retracts it helps to pull the plate back away from the dog clutch.

Correct.
The sensor doesn't actually disengage the locker - it just detects where the ring sits and that signals the dash light.
It is actually a magnet using 12v power to move the locking ring back and forth.

**Edit - Quite a few people with Rubicons actually remove the plunger as it allows you to use the locker in any tcase gear at any speed.

austin160

Correct.
The sensor doesn't actually disengage the locker - it just detects where the ring sits and that signals the dash light.
It is actually a magnet using 12v power to move the locking ring back and forth.

**Edit - Quite a few people with Rubicons actually remove the plunger as it allows you to use the locker in any tcase gear at any speed.

Well that will save me a few hours worth of work then. I will try it out and hook to a 12v source to verify, but that is what I have been thinking the whole time. I have heard the opposite, that it does need to be installed, but that doesn't really make sense to me, if the magnet is what is doing all the work.

Top Bottom