Not All Brake Lines Are Alike

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
About a month ago I installed stainless steel brake lines, sourced from Rock Auto. I wasn't impressed with their 'wimpy' appearance, but they seemed Ok enough.

There were 3 particular concerns I had. 1) the front lines were 1.5-2" shorter than OEM. Having installed a leveling lift it was a concern. 2) Front lines didn't include a cross over bracket like the OEM solution. 3) Rear brake lines just didn't route as smoothly as I liked.

This past weekend, I jacked up the front to check for front line length while articulating when the rear burst. At first I thought it was due to rubbing the tire. I mean, what 'else' would cause a new line to burst. Well, on closer inspection, it looks like it burst. Smooth edges, splaying in both directions. A rub-through would be in one direction, heavy abrasion marks, etc.
IMG_1074-1024.jpg

On recommendations here, I purchased another set from Crown Performance.

In the comparison pictures, you can see the blue lines (available in rainbow of colors) made by Crown Performance. VERY nice. First rate product, included the cross over bracket (good), and conveys a first class impression. Installed much easier. With the 'block' at the caliper end, it only installs one way, and everything aligns. The steel lines are Rock Auto's 'premium' offering.
IMG_1057-1024.jpg
IMG_1638-1024.jpg

In the end, driving with them, the pedal feel is what I originally expected the first time around. The first set of stainless lines never felt any different than OEM. Was disappointed. This new set, no question, much more in line with what I'd been expecting. Feel much better. And in the end, the net difference was maybe $50.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
WTF? Glad your blown line didn't cause any major problems for you and glad that you picked up a set of Crown's. I've run them and they've always held up well for me.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Wow nice catch. Glad they didn't blow out on you and cause something worse to happen

jeeeep

Hooked
wow... personally I'm not a fan of RA. I haven't ordered much but what I have has been pretty low quality.

I've used Crown and they are constructed well - even after my tires rubbed the outer lining off, the remaining layers all held up.

I found with 35's I would rub the brake lines when backing up and turning the wheels full to driver side.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Good info. Glad it wasn't more serious.
Thanks. I agree. We had just gotten back from a family trip to pick up a new puppy. An hour each way on mostly two-lane road with lots of stop 'n go. On the way back I'd thought the brakes felt soft. But checking the reservoir it was full. Figure the odds of it finally letting go, in the garage, when I'm working on it. God does watch out for us.

I like the fact that they come with the new axle bracket. Not sure which other company does that.
That bracket alone is a big plus, for me. And, its the same pain in the butt to put in as OEM. Can't do it w/o unbolting the shock and sliding it back a bit.

wow... personally I'm not a fan of RA. I haven't ordered much but what I have has been pretty low quality.
My brother's a huge fan of RA. And, to be honest, for the things I've gotten from them thus far, I have no complaints. I hadn't bought brake lines like this before, so I really didn't have a point of comparison. So, lesson learned. I generally prefer the Cadillac over Chevy approach: Buy once, lasts forever, compared to buy same thing over and over again.

As for the rub-through you mention, is that just because the larger tire isn't backspaced enough compared to an OEM size? Or something else.

One of the things I really liked about Crown's site, you can order various lengths based on how many inches of lift you have, plus however much 'overage' you want. So, say a 3" lift and want +2" on top of that. I did the 0-2" lift (leveling kit) +2" and it turned out about right.

SWRUBI

Can you share pictures of you brake lines installed? I'd be interested in seeing where the bracket ties in. I installed Crown lines after installing my lift but at the time, they didn't come with an additional brackets.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Can you share pictures of you brake lines installed? I'd be interested in seeing where the bracket ties in. I installed Crown lines after installing my lift but at the time, they didn't come with an additional brackets.

Here it is, installed. At the start of the thread, you see it pre-install.

Cross-Over Bracket 1600.jpg

Top Bottom