Where should I start with my 2-door JK?

dylun

I have recently purchased my 2014 Wrangler JK and it is bone stock. I want to make it look nice and be well equipped for moderate trails without going overboard. If anyone could could give me some suggestions on where I should start or maybe let me know about past experiences, I would really appreciate it. IMG_9503.jpg IMG_9625.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

First of all, welcome to WAL from SoCal.. you should jump over to the give us a wave forum and introduce yourself before jumping in.

I was in your position last year when I bought my first Jeep. There's a lot to be learned here in this community. Search around, browse through the build threads and you'll probably find enough info to get you headed in the right direction.

Your Jeep is going to be very personal and your build will depend on what you want to use it for. If you've got any specific questions, I'm sure you'll get some very specific answers! 🍻

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

USA2dr

Hey welcome, you can ask 10 different people and get 11 different opions..I'd start out by researching what size tire you want to run, and then finding out what you need to do to run it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I have recently purchased my 2014 Wrangler JK and it is bone stock. I want to make it look nice and be well equipped for moderate trails without going overboard. If anyone could could give me some suggestions on where I should start or maybe let me know about past experiences, I would really appreciate it. View attachment 255833 View attachment 255834

Welcome. As already mentioned give us a wave and introduce yourself. Really depends on what you want it to be and be capable of and what your budget is. They're pretty damn capable stock already. Everyone has their own style and wish list though. Cruise the build threads here and get some ideas. Once you have a better idea of what you want we'll be more than happy to help out with questions or advice. As stated above, it's just too broad to ask where to start.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I see you have tow points up front. If you don't have any in the rear, I would add one there and pick up a set of rocker guards to replace your factory side steps. That alone will get you going far and the more you wheel, the more you'll know what you want to do next. :yup:

enfielded0405

Congrats on the 2 door.

I would second the rocker guards and look at a skid plate for the oil pan and possibly evap (or relocate it). Then just wheel it.

Longterm. Decide how big of tires you want to run and that will guide you to the parts you will need.

Welcome.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
If you have a trailer hitch, you can get a tow point, like this.

IMG_8973.JPG

One of the first things I added, was a Tuffy Security Console lock box. If you run topless, you'll want a little security.

IMG_8974.JPG
IMG_8975.JPG

desertrunner

I put my 2 door on a set of 4 dr Springs and shocks to give it a little lift, threw some 33s on it and chopped the stock fenders, looks great IMO and works plenty well on the trails and is cheap depending on the tires you buy. Could use some longer shocks but not necessary.

20170111_162635_001.jpg

20170312_113128.jpg

20170312_115137.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

dylun

I put my 2 door on a set of 4 dr Springs and shocks to give it a little lift, threw some 33s on it and chopped the stock fenders, looks great IMO and works plenty well on the trails and is cheap depending on the tires you buy. Could use some longer shocks but not necessary.

View attachment 255893

View attachment 255894

View attachment 255896

That's a beautiful rig! This is the look that I'm going for. I still haven't decided between 33s or 35s yet, I don't wanna have to consider regearing any time soon so I'll probably stick with 33s until I bring myself around regearing. Was trimming your fenders too difficult? I considered doing that instead of buying aftermarkets.

black pearl

Hooked
That's a beautiful rig! This is the look that I'm going for. I still haven't decided between 33s or 35s yet, I don't wanna have to consider regearing any time soon so I'll probably stick with 33s until I bring myself around regearing. Was trimming your fenders too difficult? I considered doing that instead of buying aftermarkets.

Trimming the flares is super easy with basic tools

desertrunner

In regards to re gearing I have the manual with the 3.21s and It frustrates the hell out of me I can't wait to get new gears in it with the 33s if I would have went 35 I most definitely would have spent money to re gear or go back down to 33s but that's just my opinion some ppl mentioned 35s being tolerable but the way mine feels I wouldn't do it. With the 33s it's on tolerable and I also have a Rubicon transfer case that helps out with wheeling

The fender chop is super easy and Eddie has a great write up on it I have done it 3 times now, once with a Jig saw next with an angle Grinder and 3rd with a dremmil. The dremmil was definitely the easiest and came out the best especially if you use the plastic cutting bit. Then I just hit the edges with a sanding block to make them smooth instead of the plastic trim.

20161218_202159.jpeg

20161219_103602.jpg

dillard09

I would say one of the best things you can do for your jeep rite now is wheel it. Find out what it can and can't do and that will give you an idea of what you will need for the type of wheeling you want to do. But make sure your don't wheel alone!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
The fender chop is super easy and Eddie has a great write up on it I have done it 3 times now, once with a Jig saw next with an angle Grinder and 3rd with a dremmil. The dremmil was definitely the easiest and came out the best especially if you use the plastic cutting bit. Then I just hit the edges with a sanding block to make them smooth instead of the plastic trim.

Agreed that cutting bit is awesome. Doesn't melt the plastic as much as a typical cutting blade.

Trail JK

Welcome! I'd probably start with rocker guards maybe some rubicon take offs to start and I'd pick up a cb. Wheeling is a lot more fun when you can communicate on the trails. Next I'd address on board air so you can air down on the trails and air back up after your day. Like the others have said once you have a decision on tire size you can start building towards your overall goal.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
If you have an automatic and 3.73 gears, which my Sport came with originally, then 33's will be no problem and easier on the dana 30 front axle. You will still need a procal or something like it to adjust your shift points and speedometer back to stock. You won't need a front driveshaft or exhaust spacers with the cut fenders and 4 door springs, so another money saver.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I have recently purchased my 2014 Wrangler JK and it is bone stock. I want to make it look nice and be well equipped for moderate trails without going overboard. If anyone could could give me some suggestions on where I should start or maybe let me know about past experiences, I would really appreciate it. View attachment 255833 View attachment 255834

I see you have tow points up front. If you don't have any in the rear, I would add one there and pick up a set of rocker guards to replace your factory side steps. That alone will get you going far and the more you wheel, the more you'll know what you want to do next. :yup:

Good info by Wayoflife. Check his thread on recovery gear, here...

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2953-RECOVERY-GEAR-A-Must-Have-Before-Hitting-the-Trails

Top Bottom