Steering issues

mauijim

Ok I have a 2012 Jk sport and I swapped axles from a 2016 Rubicon with 18k miles that I bought from a WAYALIFE member that gave me a great deal about 2 months ago. Before the swap I had really bad wondering and after the swap it went perfectly straight and was so happy. The only problem was I'd catch myself at 75 on the freeway where before I was scared at 60. Anyway I have 35's and now all of a sudden my steering acts like there's a gap when I turn the steering wheel. It's like I'm turning the wheel and the tires aren't. Seems like I can turn from 12 o'clock to 9 or 3 o'clock and there's a delay then I start to turn. This feeling is really weird. And sometimes my ESC comes on. My steering wheel is at 12 o'clock and everything seems tight. I haven't had time this week yet to double check everything with the torque wrench but plan to this weekend. But I feel like there's something else going on here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Check that pitman arm is tight on gear box splines and that drag link is tight in the pitman arm. If you can have someone turn the wheel for you while you watch the steering box, see if the input shaft and output shaft turn together. If the input turns and the output doesn't, you may have something wrong inside the box.

mauijim

Check that pitman arm is tight on gear box splines and that drag link is tight in the pitman arm. If you can have someone turn the wheel for you while you watch the steering box, see if the input shaft and output shaft turn together. If the input turns and the output doesn't, you may have something wrong inside the box.

So I checked pitman arm and all suspension and even ball joints and all good. My steering wheel was off a little and I got it back to 12 o'clock. Checked tire pressure and was fine. It drives better no shimmy, which was minimal anyway. But the dam ESC comes on still at times. Got on the freeway and it's way better but ESC even comes on then at times but seems less scary as before. I have superchips and wondering if I can do something with that to clear it out. I'm baffled right now and it's pissing me off. Lol. Just not sure why it's doing this and afraid to hit the trails like this. Could it be the front wheel sensors? Any suggestions?

BaddestCross

After all that, I'd be leaning toward a sensor. I think I read about pinched/worn wiring on a sensor here before. May be a clockspring problem as well?

wjtstudios

Hooked
I agree on the ESC being a sensor. The abs sensor wire at each wheel would have detached from your old axles and re-attached to the new. I'd check all four to see if one was not installed tight.

For the steering, I have noticed that delay if the tire pressure is under 30 psi on the 35s. The tires tend to pull a bit more in the ruts or depressions on the highway and it takes a bit more to get the to move in the direction you want to go.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

mauijim

Well the axles that I installed came with the sensors intact on the front and I can't remember on the rear. But I've had problems at the connections by the frame where they just don't stay connected and my ESC light and ABS light come on and stay on till I play around with them and finally wrapped electrical tape around them to help hold them together. I guess I need to investigate the clock spring now. Thanks you guys for the advice.

Top Bottom