Dealer update charge?!?

madstiles

So I took the MegaHeep in for recall repairs (clock spring & passenger air bag) and they tell me theirs an update. I say ok then they tell me it will be 2 hours labor charge. So hesitant I ask what the update is which they did not know so I declined it. My logic is if it ain't broke don't fix it especially at $110 lol
Do all dealers charge for updates? And shouldn't they know what it's for? I don't update my home pc without knowing what it's for lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

tdougherty81

So I took the MegaHeep in for recall repairs (clock spring & passenger air bag) and they tell me theirs an update. I say ok then they tell me it will be 2 hours labor charge. So hesitant I ask what the update is which they did not know so I declined it. My logic is if it ain't broke don't fix it especially at $110 lol
Do all dealers charge for updates? And shouldn't they know what it's for? I don't update my home pc without knowing what it's for lol

I took my wife's Renegade in and they told me there was a bunch updates for it. They didn't charge me for the updates.

JeepFan

Hooked
I recently had the same experience at my local dealer. Brought my Jeep in for the recall; the service advisor plugged in their scan tool which checks for software updates. If an update is available, the advisor will typically explain what the update is and provide a quote. In most cases, unless you're experiencing the issue the update addresses, you don't need it. Basically the dealer is trying to up sell you on service like wiper blades or tires.

Clark Griswold

Had mine in a month or so ago and they advised there is a transmission update, I said don't bother I run a Superchips program and the transmission shifts way smoother than factory, they just got a little red faced and agreed.

Sent from my VS987 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wardawg

Had mine in a month or so ago and they advised there is a transmission update, I said don't bother I run a Superchips program and the transmission shifts way smoother than factory, they just got a little red faced and agreed.

What is your setup and what tune are you using? I have the flashcal and wondered if the upgrade to flashpaq was worth it or not. I have 35s and I'm undergeared with 3.21s.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked

really depends on the dealer.

the dealer i bought my GC from wanted to charge for updates so i went 2 blocks away and had them look at it, they updated no charge.

WJCO

Meme King
Typically if you're under warranty and you have a particular problem, and there is an update available, the tech will do this free of charge to see if it fixes your problem. If you're not under warranty, they will call you with an estimate and recommend it as a next step to try and fix your problem.

However if you went to shop and they're recommending updates that have nothing to do with your problem, then it's just an upsell.

LearJeff

So I'm a little confused about this topic... Are we using "updates" and "recalls" synonymously? This is my first Jeep ('16 JKR) but I've owned a shit ton of vehicles prior to this. So I'm obviously familiar with "recalls" but I've never run across the term "updates" as it relates to my vehicle. Are you guys referring to actual software updates? And is this something I get notified about or do I have to be proactive and search for myself? Really glad I opened this thread - sounds like I'm about to learn something!!

black pearl

Hooked
So I'm a little confused about this topic... Are we using "updates" and "recalls" synonymously? This is my first Jeep ('16 JKR) but I've owned a shit ton of vehicles prior to this. So I'm obviously familiar with "recalls" but I've never run across the term "updates" as it relates to my vehicle. Are you guys referring to actual software updates? And is this something I get notified about or do I have to be proactive and search for myself? Really glad I opened this thread - sounds like I'm about to learn something!!

I'm with you on this but this is also my newest vehicle I tend to mainly own pre smog years but all my newer ones I haven't been told about updates

madstiles

Yes it's a software update like your pc at home if you take your keep in for anything they check the vin and it pops up if you have recalls , updates ECT.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
A lot of the updates are for emissions purpose. I know, for example, I have had one for the EGR purge solenoid and another for O2 sensor. They are not all the same.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yes it's a software update like your pc at home if you take your keep in for anything they check the vin and it pops up if you have recalls , updates ECT.

Don't confuse recalls and TSB's (technical service bulletins). Updates fall under tsb's unless they are severe enough that they will harm emissions standards, then they are a recall.

Clark Griswold

What is your setup and what tune are you using? I have the flashcal and wondered if the upgrade to flashpaq was worth it or not. I have 35s and I'm undergeared with 3.21s.

I have the same set up as you, the only place i notice gearing is on the highway and even then its not bad, I will turn off cruise control and drive myself if conditions are causing a lot of shifting.

madstiles

Don't confuse recalls and TSB's (technical service bulletins). Updates fall under tsb's unless they are severe enough that they will harm emissions standards, then they are a recall.
I get it but kinda ridiculous they charge to hook up and let it sit but I guess that's how the get the name stealerships lol

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I recently had the same experience at my local dealer. Brought my Jeep in for the recall; the service advisor plugged in their scan tool which checks for software updates. If an update is available, the advisor will typically explain what the update is and provide a quote. In most cases, unless you're experiencing the issue the update addresses, you don't need it. Basically the dealer is trying to up sell you on service like wiper blades or tires.

Hey friend!!

Did they flash your Jeep's ECM, which required you to reprogram your computer for bigger tires, gearing, etc?

I am fearful of this when I am not super sure what settings I used and my Jeep is running great.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
And all of this is why I want to get a CJ for my next toy. I want at least one simple computer free Jeep in my life. Love the JK but jeez...

Top Bottom