Thoughts on smittybilt XRC winch

I have reached the point where a winch is next on the list, and while I know that A lot of you guys are big proponents of WARN, I've got a good line on a smittybilt XRC 12,000.

Its a winch that we put on a Jeep that we built for our showroom and, when the customer bought the Jeep, they didn't want it. Its been sitting in our Parts room for the better part of two years and they want it gone.

What are everyone's thoughts on the XRC series of winches? I would only end up paying a little over $200.00 for it so its a very attractive opportunity. That said, I have about a $700.00 budget at the moment, so please, feel free to steer me in a different direction if there is something else you all recommend.

WJCO

Meme King
I have reached the point where a winch is next on the list, and while I know that A lot of you guys are big proponents of WARN, I've got a good line on a smittybilt XRC 12,000.

Its a winch that we put on a Jeep that we built for our showroom and, when the customer bought the Jeep, they didn't want it. Its been sitting in our Parts room for the better part of two years and they want it gone.

What are everyone's thoughts on the XRC series of winches? I would only end up paying a little over $200.00 for it so its a very attractive opportunity. That said, I have about a $700.00 budget at the moment, so please, feel free to steer me in a different direction if there is something else you all recommend.

Sounds like you already know the answer. :D

Honestly if I were in your shoes, and you have the available budget and are ready to buy a winch, I would get a Warn. However, for 200 bucks, that's not a bad deal if you don't plan on using a winch often. With that being said, it would suck if you went to use it and it didn't work for you or overworks itself while you're pulling line.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Sounds like you already know the answer. :D

Honestly if I were in your shoes, and you have the available budget and are ready to buy a winch, I would get a Warn. However, for 200 bucks, that's not a bad deal if you don't plan on using a winch often. With that being said, it would suck if you went to use it and it didn't work for you or overworks itself while you're pulling line.

^^^^Best answer

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have the smittybilt X2O older version.. it still is trucking along! been through arizona heat and sun and now colorado snow.. granted i had a cover on it most of the time. I have prob used it 20 times in the 4 years I've had it, so not too often.

ob_tj

Get a warn. I have a smittybilt and wish I had gotten a warn. Yes it has pulled me out of some spots but the quality of a warn is way worth it.

enfielded0405

Honestly for $200 I would buy the smittybilt. Then I would go put it on Craigslist for $400. And take all that plus you other money and get a zeon 10s.

But that is just me. I admit I am going cheaper on a few parts on my jeep because I am a father and husband and have to. But on a winch that could save me and my family, get a warn.

When the time comes I plan to spend some time in the dog house and drop the money.

JeepJeep75

Honestly for $200 I would buy the smittybilt. Then I would go put it on Craigslist for $400. And take all that plus you other money and get a zeon 10s.

But that is just me. I admit I am going cheaper on a few parts on my jeep because I am a father and husband and have to. But on a winch that could save me and my family, get a warn.

When the time comes I plan to spend some time in the dog house and drop the money.

Best answer yet!!!! [emoji115]

sgt381fl

i have the xrc 95000. it has performed extremely well; through deep thick muck in the ocala forest, fl and steep, deep ruts with lotsa rocks on trails around colorado springs, co.
you always upgrade later the coveted WARN or ZEON etc...models later.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I'm a big warn fan, but for $200, I'd rock that smittybuilt. Hell a synthetic cable and nice hook will cost that much.

BobNH

I ran an XRC8 on my TJ for about 6 years, in New England weather. It got used a few times a year, and never once failed. My only experience with Warn is the two on a run I was on once where both of them failed. The biggest killer of winches is lack of maintenance. Waterproof the housing, and for Smittybilt, replace all of the grease as soon as you get it. Use quality grease. I did not do this, and in the winter/fall, the pull was almost impossible by hand. It still worked perfectly, but was a bear to pull the line. And use it. Even if you just pull yourself across the yard, keep it conditioned.

Oh, I need to add, the reason I went with Smitty was the current draw. Least of all the winches in it's range, including Warn, Superwinch, Rugged Ridge, and some others. At the time I had a chart, some magazine I can't recall which.

Last edited:

aermotor

This is the droid you are looking for.

I recently bought a Zeon 10 and don't regret it, even with the price tag. SO GLAD I didn't buy the VR.

This is the droid you are looking for.

I recently bought a Zeon 10 and don't regret it, even with the price tag. SO GLAD I didn't buy the VR.

Any issues with the VR? I am just on warns website fuckin around and I was looking at the GENII VR10. Our distributor seems to have a decent deal on it. But, I am new to winches so I honestly don't know what I'm looking for other than capacity.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Buying the smittybilt and then selling it for more seems like a good idea. I bought a smitybilt winch and replaced it with a Warn Zeon less than a year later. Smittybilt winch had electrical problems.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Or you could get the Smitty and watch CL for a used Warn (often times just have worn lines) and put the new line from the Smitty on it... Then sell the line-less Smitty for $150.

I'm still looking for a used Warn to put my Superwinch synthetic on...

IBSMSHN

Yeah I agree! I bought a waterproof Smitty I wish I would've bought a Warn because my wireless already stopped working but it has pulled out plenty of friends and worked with out with no problems .... and just because I spent over 25 with ORE.. ( and don't regret a dime [emoji12]) but my wife said enough is enough LOL... so I will guarantee as soon as it goes out or when I get a chance I'm gonna buy a Warn [emoji482].....

denvermatt

I have the "cheap" Warn. After only 1 yr the bolts are rusting. If you plan on using it a lot buy a good Warner. If you think you might only use it half a dozen times over the years. Buy a cheap winch. I've used mine twice this week since we got snow here in Colorado up on the trails. The bolts have surface rust but it still works like new.

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

resqman911

I have had Smittybilt winches on 2 separate jeeps now with zero issues. The one I have now came with a lifetime warranty. Warn is much higher quality winch , no argument there. But I'm happy with what I have

Top Bottom