how big of an inverter do i need

07rub

Just wondering how big of an inverter would i need to run a portable compressor with a 3 gallon tank

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You wouldn't need one. Just wire it to the battery.

Most compressor/tank combos don't have the typical plug. The compressor runs to the battery and the tank to the compressor.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Its a household compressor

You need to look at the max amp draw and max watts of the compressor and of course it will be 110v. Those compressors have a pretty big starting draw and you'd probably be better off with buying a 12v air system for the Jeep for what an inverter is going to cost in $$$ and weight/size. I doubt you can find a one at Walmart that will fit the load requirements of a house hold compressor. :twocents:

The size of the tank has nothing to do with the power requirements of the compressor motor.

Good luck!

Last edited:

07rub

ok i will do some homework, the only reason why i was looking to go that way is when we go camping i would still have the inverter to run some appliance and such

Rebel JK

ok i will do some homework, the only reason why i was looking to go that way is when we go camping i would still have the inverter to run some appliance and such

The amperage for your 120 volt compressor can be coverted to watts by multipying 120volts x FLA (full load amps). EXAMPLE- 120V X 5amps = 600 watts. To find amps at 12 volts- divide 600watts by 12v. 600/12= 50 amps. When ac motors start they will have a momentary inrush though that may exceed the FLA, that is why motors are typically fused to 125% of the FLA. On fractional horsepower motors (1 horse or less)- typically there will be built in thermal/overcurrent protection to protect the motor.
Personally I would go with an inverter rated at 125-150% of the rated wattage for your compressor, although Im not sure how to verify unless you can try one first.

ruchster65

150 watts max

The 115V plug in your JK is limited to 150 watts. It is made to charge cell phones and run small electronics, not enough to run power tools or appliances

Deuane

A 3 gallon air compressor will work with a 1,200 watt power inverter. A 1,200 watt power inverter is hook up to my Jeep, which it work on my 6 gallon air compressor using a power tool like an impact wrench.

Deuane

I brought a few power inverter to found out a 1,200 watt power inverter will do the job, which the power inverter cable is hook up to your battery, not inside your Jeep. The bigger the watt is better, it pretty much hook up to your vehicle battery which will work on major appliance, power tool, air compressor, and etc. I would recommend getting more than just a 1,200 watt power inverter..

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I bought a 3000 watt pure sine wave inverter for about $800 2 years ago for one of our work trucks... Maybe they are cheaper now :dontknow:

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

07rub

SO i did the math as per rebel jk said( thanks btw) and my motor is only a 2amp so basictly 240w, so i will see what they have at canadian tire cuz i dont want to spend 200 or 300$ or even 800 on an inverter, at that point might as well just buy a warn power plant lol thanks guys

TrailBear

Watch the flyers I've seen them have 3000 watts for like $150

Don't let fear and common sense hold you back:)
Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailBear

They tend to come on fairly often, I think regular price on a 2000watt might be around $180, might be wrong so don't quote me on it :)

Don't let fear and common sense hold you back:)
Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom