Clock Spring repair?

Eggdashure

Hello all,

My steering wheel buttons suddenly stopped working, as did the horn. In researching the issue, I see the problem is related to the clock spring in the steering wheel and it is a common issue. Every article I have read says the clock spring needs to be replaced...can it be repaired? I'm guessing it is not an option (bad electronics), but thought I would check.

Also, just for reference, I checked a couple sites to see if my VIN was eligible for a recall but it doesn't look like it.

Thanks! [emoji2]

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
It's not worth trying to repair it. The clock spring is basically a wound up flat ribbon of multiple wires that coils and uncoils as you turn the steering wheel. They break from fatigue so if you fixed the break it would only break at another point soon after. Better off just replacing it

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Slimebones

It is a very meticulous job but should be able to repair it. I fixed it on my XJ three years ago and still working. You can take it apart and resolder it. MUCH easier to just replace it.

Dopey84

Just had mine done through being recalled along with the takata passenger air bag cylinder it's for some 2007-2010 models check your vin through Mopar

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Hello all,

My steering wheel buttons suddenly stopped working, as did the horn. In researching the issue, I see the problem is related to the clock spring in the steering wheel and it is a common issue. Every article I have read says the clock spring needs to be replaced...can it be repaired? I'm guessing it is not an option (bad electronics), but thought I would check.

Also, just for reference, I checked a couple sites to see if my VIN was eligible for a recall but it doesn't look like it.

Thanks! [emoji2]

check with your dealer - there's a recall on the clockspring

According to search of my VIN, all recalls have been processed already. Clock spring was not one of them.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using WAYALIFE mobile app

It's not a recall its an extended warranty. What year is your jeep?

Clock spring is an easy replacement take like 20 mins max

Lol you are high as a kite! Not even fucking close to 20 minutes.

cmireles

Clock spring is an easy replacement take like 20 mins max

Definitely not, the dealer made me go home they had my jeep for about 4-5 hours

It's not a recall its an extended warranty. What year is your jeep?

I suppose I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure it is a recall. The dealer gave me the code for it but I don't remember what it was.

Then again this guy is talking about buttons on his steering wheel, and I think the recall is only for model years 07-10?

Mediumsizetony

Definitely not, the dealer made me go home they had my jeep for about 4-5 hours

I suppose I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure it is a recall. The dealer gave me the code for it but I don't remember what it was.

Then again this guy is talking about buttons on his steering wheel, and I think the recall is only for model years 07-10?

Well I replaced mine in 20 mins sooooooo. Maybe your dealer Waited. A bit.

BobNH

S33 says airbag clockspring, 07-10 wrangler, estimate 1 hour.
S43 says passenger airbag inflator, 07-12 wrangler, estimate 2 hours.

Four to five hours seems crazy. Understand that every dealer (in my experience) pays the tech flat rate. The techs hate warranty/recall work because it pays way less than the hours it would pay for the same job on the customers dime. So, they may have just set it as one to work on at some point, or they put an hourly trainee or oil change tech on it. YMMV

Both of these are on my 08, and will be done soon. Strangely, the passenger airbag on mone was pretty cavalier, get it on so we can do it, but the same one for my wifes subaru was do not drive, get here asap. To their credit, they had the parts and I got it done a couple days later. When I asked about it for my jeep, they still didnt have the parts. :/

Eggdashure

Rant time...I confirmed it is NOT the right switch as the stealership quoted in their diagnostic. I ordered one online, put it in...no change. Being pragmatic, it just pisses me off to pay a "diagnostic fee" because they wouldn't pull codes first to confirm the issue, only to find out it wasn't what they said it is. I know they still won't replace the clock spring because "they have replaced too many already that ended up being the right switch." If I go tell them I replaced the switch, they will just claim it is bad too. Very frustrating. Rant complete.

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Eggdashure

Just in case anyone comes across this post. It was the Clock Spring. Replaced it myself in about 45 minutes and everything is working great again. I am going to contact the service manager at the stealership and complain, but I'm sure they will have some BS excuse how it doesn't matter because I wouldn't pay for the right switch their tech said was broken. This is the 2nd time they have burned me on a TSB (different vehicles) so I won't ever go back. The sad thing is, I knew better...but thought this was pretty cut and dry. Unfortunately, just a crooked stealership lining their pockets.

Big bump, I know, but this is the only decent clockspring page I could find. I’m about to replace mine.

Am I good to just disconnect the battery for 15 minutes and not have the airbag go off? Anybody do this on a jk and can chime in?

jeeeep

Hooked
Big bump, I know, but this is the only decent clockspring page I could find. I’m about to replace mine.

Am I good to just disconnect the battery for 15 minutes and not have the airbag go off? Anybody do this on a jk and can chime in?

I'd give it 30 minutes to be sure. My 2010 took 20 minutes to completely discharge, I took a voltmeter reading from the Pos to the negative cable until I got nothing on the meter.

Faster way is to disconnect both Neg and Pos from the battery and touched the cables together, I use this method when I need to do a complete reset to clear stubborn codes.

I'd give it 30 minutes to be sure. My 2010 took 20 minutes to completely discharge, I took a voltmeter reading from the Pos to the negative cable until I got nothing on the meter.

Faster way is to disconnect both Neg and Pos from the battery and touched the cables together, I use this method when I need to do a complete reset to clear stubborn codes.

Thanks, man.

Also, just to be clear, if I mess this up, can I claim insurance fraud on this? Asking for a friend…

Top Bottom