Can someone explain Metal Cloak 6 pack shocks to me?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
View attachment 257248 what is the deal with these shocks? The design?

Take 2 regular shocks, strap them end on end so that the shafts are extending in opposite directions, complicate things a bit more to create leaks just for good measure and you have what you're looking at.

Do they work better than standard tube style shocks?

Guess you would have to define "better". Do they allow for more travel? Sure. Do they have all kinds of leaking issues? YES. For the cost, do they work as well as a coil over? Nope - not even close.

OhNoTheJiggies

Exactly what Eddie said. Yeah they are okay as long as you don't start getting leaks. But for how much they want for these things, you can scratch that idea and the worry of the leaks and sell your springs while you're at it and you'll be over halfway toward some bolt on coilovers. More adjustability and longer lasting.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

srbell0585

They sounded cool at first being 14" travel shocks but if you look at the compressed/extended lengths of their coil springs, you still won't end up with 14" of travel. Personally at their price point, I'd rather go to a coil over.

Sent from my SM-N910T using WAYALIFE mobile app

Draconianwinter

And if you look it up you will find that petty much on the ones that work, I guess you could say correctly, you still have get them charged about every 6 months. Also I met a guy with them today on his jeep, and according to him , and I quote, "they fucking suck, and are a huge waste of money" lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Crystaliner

Doesn't know shit about wheeling
Take 2 regular shocks, strap them end on end so that the shafts are extending in opposite directions, complicate things a bit more to create leaks just for good measure and you have what you're looking at.

Guess you would have to define "better". Do they allow for more travel? Sure. Do they have all kinds of leaking issues? YES. For the cost, do they work as well as a coil over? Nope - not even close.

I can't explain what I heard.....
Pfshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...............

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

So......last weekend I ran JohnBull in BigBear. One of the rigs with us had MetalCloak 6 pack/GameChanger shocks. While on the GateKeeper the drivers side rear shock was totally compressed and the wheel was stuffed in the well for several minutes. The second the shock started to uncompress a big off gassing came from the wheel well. I looked at the guy who was standing on the rock next me and said "what the fuck was that". We just looked at each other with disbelief

Junk if you ask me.....

Last edited:

Hot94Z28

Cool concept if they weren't plagued with issues, and were cheaper.

For the price I myself would want coil overs for the adjustability, and the travel length you get.

Ddays

Hooked
The guy that owns this company is a serial inventor. He has designed several backflow prevention devices over the past 20+ years & then sold them to competitors. Always a new angle to
each new device he comes up with. Some better than others. Considering those are all life safety products, surprising those shocks are so poorly designed and executed. He needs to stick to the backflows.....

deezus

I've seen these installed and IMO, why would you go the other way when the industry standard works so well? I also think they look like weird, but it's your Jeep.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
To be fair, they'd be a nifty idea if they worked better than a standard shock or as good as a coil over and didn't have leak issues but they don't. On the JKX, there was a guy who had them and tried keeping up with us in the whoops. He literally got his ass handed to him and to the point that his spare broke off the tire mount.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Was it a teraflex tire mount?

There's too much complication in those 6 packs. Too many places for oil to leak. Oh, and how many desert racing rigs have you seen outfitted with them?

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Being someone who is happy with their Metalcloak lift I will say that I would never run these. They just look like you are asking for more problems sooner than later. More moving parts, more seals, more places to fail. Just my .02 [emoji482]

Top Bottom