XD60 1550 knuckle + high steer dilemma

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Hi,
Looking for some input on axle options to go with an EVO installed DTD. I’ll be running 40x13.50x17s on ProRock XD60/80 axles x 5.38. Stock Pentastar. I intended to run EVO High Steer with knuckle mounted ram, but Drew informed me that the EVO High Steer is not compatible with the XD 1550 aluminum knuckles. So my options are:

1. XD60 with the new 1550 LT high-strength aluminum knuckles and tie rod mounted ram.
OR
2. XD60 with standard Pro 60 knuckles and EVO High Steer/ knuckle mounted ram.

Not sure which way I want to go... What do you all think?

Thanks in advance.

tgoss

Hi,
Looking for some input on axle options to go with an EVO installed DTD. I’ll be running 40x13.50x17s on ProRock XD60/80 axles x 5.38. Stock Pentastar. I intended to run EVO High Steer with knuckle mounted ram, but Drew informed me that the EVO High Steer is not compatible with the XD 1550 aluminum knuckles. So my options are:

1. XD60 with the new 1550 LT high-strength aluminum knuckles and tie rod mounted ram.
OR

Thanks in advance.

I don't understand why you would pay the money for those axles and downgrade the knuckles to run a potentially weaker and smaller axle shaft just to run a particular tie rod and ram set up.

Just run it how rubicat is set up and have Evo fab up a skid for the ram.

I'll be honest, I wish I didn't buy the evo hi steer kit for my PR60.... I ended up spending roughly $2k extra just to run it (the kit itself and then had to buy Dynatrac steering arms that are compatible with DTD last minute...) and it could have easily gone into an XD60 front for a little less.

Honestly don't see why you wouldn't run this and call it a day:

20170408232451-11a9778d-me.jpg

highoctane

Caught the Bug
My Jeep has the XD60 with the older Pro 60 knuckles, 1480 joint axle shafts, and the Evo high steer. It performs flawlessly on the trail and on the road, and is plenty strong. The 1550LT wheel ends have obvious improvements over the Pro 60 wheel ends, such as improved steering characteristics such as scrub radius. Dynatrac built my axle with the 4340 Evo spec hi steer arms already on it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

2011jk

IMO just get a XD60 and the big brake option.
Issue with the 1550LT is IMO to small of brakes for a heavy JK.

It uses 2015 Dodge 1500 rotors and calipers which are not that impressive for a 1/2 ton truck.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
IMO just get a XD60 and the big brake option.
Issue with the 1550LT is IMO to small of brakes for a heavy JK.

It uses 2015 Dodge 1500 rotors and calipers which are not that impressive for a 1/2 ton truck.

Funny, I find the brakes to work surprisingly well on my JK. In fact, I'm really pleased with them but then, what would I know.

I should note, for those who seem to think it's necessary, the PRO 1550 is designed with future bigger brakes in mind.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,

OR

Thanks in advance.

As mentioned, there's nothing wrong with the PRO 60 knuckles. We still run them on Moby and with the high steer setup and it works well. That being said, I personally prefer the PRO 1550 knuckles and for the reasons already stated by tgoss and Highoctane. Of course, that's just my opinion and based on my limited first hand experience.

In the event you haven't seen it, this thread might be helpful to you:
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...h-72-5-quot-Dynatrac-XD60-PRO-1550-Front-Axle

Also, this video might be something you want to watch as well:

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
As mentioned, there's nothing wrong with the PRO 60 knuckles. We still run them on Moby and with the high steer setup and it works well. That being said, I personally prefer the PRO 1550 knuckles and for the reasons already stated by tgoss and Highoctane. Of course, that's just my opinion and based on my limited first hand experience.

In the event you haven't seen it, this thread might be helpful to you:
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...h-72-5-quot-Dynatrac-XD60-PRO-1550-Front-Axle

Also, this video might be something you want to watch as well:

Thanks. I followed the teaser shots in the original thread when Rubicat popped back up, then subbed to thread above and watch the video a whole lot. Lol. Really appreciate the new design which I'll more than likely go with. Just having a hard time letting go of the thought of a knuckle mounted ram. I'll get over it pretty quick. #firstworldproblems

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks. I followed the teaser shots in the original thread when Rubicat popped back up, then subbed to thread above and watch the video a whole lot. Lol. Really appreciate the new design which I'll more than likely go with. Just having a hard time letting go of the thought of a knuckle mounted ram. I'll get over it pretty quick. #firstworldproblems

That's just the thing, with the improved steering characteristics of the PRO 1550, you pretty much don't even need a ram. Mel doesn't run a ram on Spicy Chicken.

2011jk

Funny, I find the brakes to work surprisingly well on my JK. In fact, I'm really pleased with them but then, what would I know.

I should note, for those who seem to think it's necessary, the PRO 1550 is designed with future bigger brakes in mind.

I specifically asked about future big brake options and was told none were planed. If I would have been told otherwise I would have went to the 1550.

As far as stopping power I'm close to 7k loaded up on 40's and need more than a lighter JK. Once you have the insanely stopping power of the big brake kit its hard to go back.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I specifically asked about future big brake options and was told none were planed. If I would have been told otherwise I would have went to the 1550.

As far as stopping power I'm close to 7k loaded up on 40's and need more than a lighter JK. Once you have the insanely stopping power of the big brake kit its hard to go back.

Maybe you haven't seen old pics of moby or rubicat being weighted but they both weight in at over 7k as well when loaded up. They are both running the same brakes that came with their axles and I'm sure they stop great. I know moby does from first hand experience.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Right, that's why the PRO 1550's were designed and manufactured with these silly things on them.

20170318131956-d3642dbf.jpg

As far as stopping power I'm close to 7k loaded up on 40's and need more than a lighter JK.

Yeah, I wouldn't know anything about that.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409276720.339419.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409285482.246257.jpg

Once you have the insanely stopping power of the big brake kit its hard to go back.

Well, I've never done any brake testing let alone with 40" tires so I wouldn't have a clue.

I do appreciate your expert opinion though. I've learned a lot. :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe you haven't seen old pics of moby or rubicat being weighted but they both weight in at over 7k as well when loaded up.

That was back when we were still running 40x15.50's. We're a touch lighter now :crazyeyes: :D

2011jk

You can say what you want but I've likely had more sports cars and big heavy trucks than most and understand the difference between good brakes and fantastic brakes.Your happy with your choice. I want the best braking I can get. Others may want they same so I posted my thoughts.

If another view or option isn't acceptable now when talking about axles then as its your soapbox so be it I'll not comment anymore.

WJCO

Meme King
You can say what you want but I've likely had more sports cars and big heavy trucks than most and understand the difference between good brakes and fantastic brakes.Your happy with your choice. I want the best braking I can get. Others may want they same so I posted my thoughts.

If another view or option isn't acceptable now when talking about axles then as its your soapbox so be it I'll not comment anymore.

Geez. Calm down. Everybody is entitled to whatever they want to put on their Jeep.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You can say what you want but I've likely had more sports cars and big heavy trucks than most and understand the difference between good brakes and fantastic brakes.

Cool story bro. You can say what you want and if it's made on the internet, it must be true and everyone should listen to you. :thumb:

Your happy with your choice. I want the best braking I can get. Others may want they same so I posted my thoughts.

Yep, I'm happy with my choice and thought others might be interested in what I have to say. Needless to say, I posted my thoughts.

If another view or option other than yours isn't acceptable when talking about axles, then maybe the internet isn't a safe enough place for you and you really shouldn't be commenting here anymore. :yup:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

IMG_9129.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

2011jk

Just following your rules as you started the negative committing and reference to your experience .
I understand how this game is played so have your fun.

WJCO

Meme King
Just following your rules as you started the negative committing and reference to your experience .
I understand how this game is played so have your fun.

:thinking: Where's the negative comments? This looks like a discussion about brakes and knuckles :idontknow:

Top Bottom