How much side slope can a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon safely handle?

Eddie_k

Hi everyone. I didn't know I had this problem until I encountered a side slope going uphill as well as on a level ground through some deep wheel ruts. Now I have developed a new phobia. First, I'd like to know how likely it is that I'll overturn my jeep on a level ground going through wheel ruts, then the likelihood of overturning on a side slop going uphill? My buddies kept telling me not to worry but I could not help it. I would just freeze and it was a terrible experience for me. Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
The worst thing you can do is be nervous or scared when wheeling. Sure, we have all had times when we're uncomfortable... but, if you get scared that's bad news bears. It sounds like maybe you should have picked a better line haha. As far as when your Jeep will overturn... it all depends. How high you are, your tires, your tire width, etc... all plays a factor in it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone. I didn't know I had this problem until I encountered a side slope going uphill as well as on a level ground through some deep wheel ruts. Now I have developed a new phobia. First, I'd like to know how likely it is that I'll overturn my jeep on a level ground going through wheel ruts, then the likelihood of overturning on a side slop going uphill? My buddies kept telling me not to worry but I could not help it. I would just freeze and it was a terrible experience for me. Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.

In my opinion, fear itself isn't a bad thing. It helps keep you sharp and helps keep you smart, that is, so long as you don't let it take control of you. As far as how far you can go, goes - as mentioned, a lot further than you think or feel behind the wheel. If I recall, a stock Jeep can be off as much as 30° and so long as you're not too tall or overly top heavy, you should be more than fine in situations where your gut is telling you otherwise. In situations like you were in, the most you can do is trust your spotter or not take the line. There's no shame in backing off an obstacle that you're not comfortable with yet.

Make sure the sway bar is disconnected, too.

Actually, when severely off camber, it helps to be "connected" if you can be as the sway bar will provide stability.

J

JKDream

A lot more than you think. Go slow, and if you feel it tipping, turn the steering wheel downhill, until it stops tipping.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
This. There's a lot of off camber situations out here with all of the mountains. Big flex helps avoid feeling like you're going to flop. Just avoid doing a massive lift so you aren't so top heavy.

Eddie_k

Thank you all for the quick replies, tips and encouragements. I disconnect the sway bars right from the start. I was thinking maybe I should get a clinometer but then I'll start relying on it a lot which would probably make it even more dangerous since every situation is different. I think I just need to know my machine better by practicing a lot. I have some good slopes in my property and been practicing since last week. I don't even want to know what my neighbors are thinking by now :)

J

JKDream

Thank you all for the quick replies, tips and encouragements. I disconnect the sway bars right from the start. I was thinking maybe I should get a clinometer but then I'll start relying on it a lot which would probably make it even more dangerous since every situation is different. I think I just need to know my machine better by practicing a lot. I have some good slopes in my property and been practicing since last week. I don't even want to know what my neighbors are thinking by now :)

A lot of it is just feel honestly.
I know what you mean - My previous Toyota's had a much lower COG and it felt really stable.
Since you sit up so high in a JK, you feel off camber situations feel amplified in the cabin.
As Eddie said - there's no shame in taking a different line, it takes a bit of time to get comfortable with your rig.

mstraw9379

This is my biggest fear with my Jeep, rolling it. I went on the recent run at Rausch Creek and one of the obstacles made me really uncomfortable. When I looked back to watch others navigate it (especially another stock Rubicon) it didn't look like there was much lean at all.

Sent from my VS990 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Trail JK

How much side slope ca a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon safely handle?

Off camber situations suck and bother me more than heights. In the picture below I was literally laying on Ray's lap [emoji23]. We were not in any danger but it still felt scary. It helps to wheel with people you trust and have a good spotter. Like Eddie said, there's no shame and backing off or not doing an obstacle you're not comfortable with. You can look into getting a inclinometer angle degree rolling pitch gauge and it might give you some peace of mind. I don't think you'll depend on it too much but when you're feeling a little sketchy you can look at it and know you're okay or know that you're in a sketchy situation and need to make a change. Flops certainly do happen I've seen of few.

IMG_3792.jpg .
IMG_3791.JPG

Last edited:

Alkihaul

20 degrees is where I find my brain starts to kick in and I pay a bit more attention, especially if its slippery and wet, as a sideways slide at 20+ degrees and then catching, I feel would be enough to go over. Haven't rolled though at 25 on stable terrain but there is a lot of butt clinching.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Off camber situations suck and bother me more than heights. In the picture below I was literally laying on Ray's lap [emoji23]. We were not in any danger but it still felt scary. It helps to wheel with people you trust and have a good spotter. Like Eddie said, there's no shame and backing off or not doing an obstacle you're not comfortable with. You can look into getting a inclinometer angle degree rolling pitch gauge and it might give you some peace of mind. I don't think you'll depend on it too much but when you're feeling a little sketchy you can look at it and know you're okay or know that you're in a sketchy situation and need to make a change. Flops certainly do happen I've seen of few.

View attachment 257682 .
View attachment 257683

Yeah, you probably wouldn't roll there, but it feels like you are leaning much farther than you actually are!

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
It's your jeep. You should only do what you're comfortable with. If you roll it, you're the one out a jeep or worse. I found that over time, as I gained more experience off-roading, I became more comfortable with off camber situations and my phobia of it has become a lot less.

KICKROX

That's why I prefer to wheel with no doors, for some reason, the doors give you a sense of leaning way more than you actually are.. in my opinion.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How is it that this thread doesn't have a single pic in it yet? 🤔

At this point, you really need to trust your spotter.
main.php

This is the point, you've gone too far.
main.php

:shock:

Top Bottom