On Board Air - tank really worth it?

Currently have a 2 gallon tank and compressor mounted in my trunk and trying to make some room and wondering if the extra tank is really worth it.. my understanding is that it just is nice to fill up while still driving so when you stop at end of trail it'll be faster to fill up that first tire or two.. is that the only benefit?

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Good luck running power tools on even a 5 gallon tank. If you break on the trail bad enough to need power tools, then you've done some pretty serious damage and that 5 gallons isn't going to last long. Your best bet if you're looking to run bring 'air' tools on the trial, is to look into electric. I love my air tools in the garage, but my electric impact is awesome offroad.

That being said... even when airing up, that tank is only going to help for so long before the compressor kicks on. And then at that point, all you're doing is replacing air as fast as you're taking it out. For me, I don't see the benefit of having a tank... especially in a TJ, where space is at a premium.

Edit: And a 5 gallon tank is pretty big. So you have a big tank on your Jeep that you can't do much with... just doesn't make sense to me.

Sullivan

^^^agreed. A tank is basically useless for me. My compressor runs my lockers fine and when airing up, the tank is good for the first 30 seconds. Then the compressor just runs the whole time anyways. Save yourself the space and the money and just run a compressor.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
If power tools were really something you feel you need, I'd go with a Powertank. It has the same PSI regardless of how full/empty the tank is. An air compressor, even an ARB twin, really isn't meant for air tools.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Compressor is nice with a tank just have to wait for recovery. I would forget about tank unless you do not have a compressor and just use it for filling tires on the trail.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
If power tools were really something you feel you need, I'd go with a Powertank. It has the same PSI regardless of how full/empty the tank is. An air compressor, even an ARB twin, really isn't meant for air tools.

Until you aren't paying attention to how much CO2 you're using and you run out, then you have no power tools AND you can't air up.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Until you aren't paying attention to how much CO2 you're using and you run out, then you have no power tools AND you can't air up.

Sure, I personally don't like Powertanks, but you have to admit they do a better job with air tools than anything else. I'd still keep a compressor on board for airing up.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Sure, I personally don't like Powertanks, but you have to admit they do a better job with air tools than anything else. I'd still keep a compressor on board for airing up.

I just don't understand the point. They're big and bulky, expensive, you have to PAY to refill them, and you chance running out of air. And when people bring up air tools, you will get a solid couple minutes of air time before you're out of air, thus rendering air tools useless.

Back to the OP point, at least with an air tank you can re-fill it while on the trail (assuming you have a compressor as well).

Ya I have a 2 gallon tank and compressor but don't air up any faster than anyone else for the most part. Just saving a couple minutes and for the space, doesn't seem worth it. I am currently mounted in the trunk but would rather just mount the compressor in the engine compartment and sell the tank and call it a day. I am not planning on running air power tools on the trail. Only other thing besides airing up would be lockers which my understanding is just the compressor being on for a few seconds to activate it and then it shuts off.. (haven't gotten to the ARB lockers yet so not sure)

Pictures below were for the new high lift mount I just installed but I also removed the tank and compressor.. can get a feel for the space saved..

EDIT: Why are my pictures sideways?!

IMG_4806.jpg
IMG_4809.jpg

Last edited:

SDG

Caught the Bug
Buy a 100% duty cycle compressor, and if you are worried about air tools, get quality cordless tools. There is zero need for an air tank, it's a waste of space.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Buy a 100% duty cycle compressor, and if you are worried about air tools, get quality cordless tools. There is zero need for an air tank, it's a waste of space.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

^Agreed. After purchasing an ARB twin, I was really tempted to get an air tank, but for some reason I never did. I have bought a ton of cordless tools instead and love them. I use them in the garage, on the trail, and even around the house.

SDG

Caught the Bug
^Agreed. After purchasing an ARB twin, I was really tempted to get an air tank, but for some reason I never did. I have bought a ton of cordless tools instead and love them. I use them in the garage, on the trail, and even around the house.
I was a late adopter of cordless tools as I love the power and run time of a good corded tool. Not too long ago I started looking for a cordless impact and doing research. I now have a line of blue cordless and red corded tools. The newer gen of cordless are just soo nice, and have really long run times with a big battery. With the brushless motors they are super torquey too.

Top Bottom