Cage question

RageKage

I've been looking at adding a cage in the future and wanted to know what are some of the pros and cons out of what I've seen. I know a lot of guys here are running the RH sport cage. What is the difference between the RH sport cage vs Poison Spyder's trail cage vs the new EVO cage? RH has the knuckle clamps while Poison Spyder has interlocking tube couplers. Does anyone know which is stronger/better? Pros and cons for all would be great. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RageKage

IMG_6249.jpg
This is the picture of the two styles on Poison Spyder's site.

Edit: can't tell if EVO has the knuckle clamps or different style. Anyone have insight on that?

Last edited:

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
View attachment 257804
This is the picture of the two styles on Poison Spyder's site.

IMO, since all 3 you mentioned are 'sport' cages (as opposed to a full cage) they're all going to perform relatively similar. The feedback I've heard on this site in particular is that the PS one has a tendency to squeak, but not for all users. The Rockhard probably is still the most popular style, but does require some clearancing if you run a hard top. The Evo cage is so new it's probably hard to compare, but E&C just installed one on their 2012 JK and you can find the write up and lots of pics here to take a look at.

RageKage

IMO, since all 3 you mentioned are 'sport' cages (as opposed to a full cage) they're all going to perform relatively similar. The feedback I've heard on this site in particular is that the PS one has a tendency to squeak, but not for all users. The Rockhard probably is still the most popular style, but does require some clearancing if you run a hard top. The Evo cage is so new it's probably hard to compare, but E&C just installed one on their 2012 JK and you can find the write up and lots of pics here to take a look at.

I seen their write up and really liked how the EVO cage looked and fit. Never heard of the PS squeaking tho. I'll have to look more into the EVO cage after it's been on the market a little longer.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
They are all doing the same job. I like my RH cage because it looks good, wasn't terribly expensive, and mainly it was easy to install. I like how you can add and remove parts to make it more stable if you feel the protection is necessary, or you can skip a few parts (for me, I skipped the rear section as I rarely have people ride in the back) to make it more affordable.

Honestly, you really can't go wrong with either of the three. I have to say though... while the EVO cage is nice, I just PERSONALLY don't like the square design... I realize it's to increase visibility, and that's cool, but I just prefer the looks of the round tube more. Again, that's just my personal preference.

RageKage

They are all doing the same job. I like my RH cage because it looks good, wasn't terribly expensive, and mainly it was easy to install. I like how you can add and remove parts to make it more stable if you feel the protection is necessary, or you can skip a few parts (for me, I skipped the rear section as I rarely have people ride in the back) to make it more affordable.

Honestly, you really can't go wrong with either of the three. I have to say though... while the EVO cage is nice, I just PERSONALLY don't like the square design... I realize it's to increase visibility, and that's cool, but I just prefer the looks of the round tube more. Again, that's just my personal preference.

Yea I hear you on that. I like the rounded look also. And PS has C-pillars that can be added in. I do like how EVO changes out more of the stock cage components too. lol decisions decisions....

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Yea I hear you on that. I like the rounded look also. And PS has C-pillars that can be added in. I do like how EVO changes out more of the stock cage components too. lol decisions decisions....

Mine was a little bit of an easier choice too, because I have a TJ. There are way more options for the JK/JKU :)

Sharkey

Word Ninja
You aren't likely going to find an engineering analysis of the three cages for comparison, although I'm sure some "engineer" will pop up on this thread. The Rock Hard cage has been put to the test time and time again in real world use. To my knowledge, it has never failed to do its job in a rollover or flop.

I have zero doubts that the EVO cage is equally capable but it is to new for any real world, post roll photos. Plus, the design is very unique and has some obvious benefits related to filed of view.

The PS cage has been out for a while but I can't say that I recall seeing in pictures post-roll. I like the looks and connectors of the PS, but I have definitely read of problems with squeaks and fitment. The real deal breaker for me though is that the cage does not tie into the windshield at the top of the A-Pillar. IMHO, that is a major design flaw and is probably related to the squeaking on some level.

I'd buy either the EVO or the Rock Hard. Both are solid companies.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Well said. I've installed and run Rock Hard, OR-Fab (now defunt) and now EVO and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Poison Spyder is the only one we haven't run and only because we've personally seen them squeak like a banshee. Sure, I know there are guys out there who've found ways to "address" it but, that's not something we wanted to deal with.

Sharkey

Word Ninja

Rock Hard has C-Pillars also, and they don't require welding which saves some money. I also prefer the placement and look of the Rock Hard C-Pillars to the PS.

Ddays

Hooked
One important thing to factor in when deciding what kit to buy is ease of installation.

I can say after installing the RH cage that it's a mid level skill set required. Its not what I would consider an easy install the when you do the trial fit. In fact, when you first try to get the A pillar supports in place you'll swear the damn things were manufactured incorrectly. They are a BITCH to get in until you figure out the shove-twist-cuss-push-kick maneuver required to get 'em in place and back out again. Once you figure that out it becomes relatively easy. One other thing is that RH seems to use left over taps from WWI or something because even after you chase all the threads with the tap they provide :)thinking:) the socket screws are still tighter than a bitch. Odd. I've never had to chase threads like that on any other product I have purchased.

After seeing the EVO install, it looks WAY easier than the RH. I didn't see any weird contortions or thread chasing required.

Having said all that I still like the RH better more so for the looks than anything else. One other thing I noticed was that it significantly stiffens the structure. I have virtually no squeaks/groans when flexing coming from the windshield area anymore. I'm sure the EVO cage does the same. If a guy is concerned about a difficult install I'd say definitely go with the EVO. :twocents:

Last edited:

RageKage

Thanks guys. Think the EVO cage is going up a little higher on the list. Also noticed EVO doesn't show any C pillars. As I'm sure it is definitely stout enough, has anyone heard if they will be adding C pillars to be sold separately or is getting other manufacture ones going to be the result?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Are the C-Pillars stand alone or do they require the RH cage? I don't recall.

Standalone. I have the C-Pillars installed in my Jeep with no aftermarket cage.

Thanks guys. Think the EVO cage is going up a little higher on the list. Also noticed EVO doesn't show any C pillars. As I'm sure it is definitely stout enough, has anyone heard if they will be adding C pillars to be sold separately or is getting other manufacture ones going to be the result?

I'm not sure EVO could make C-Pillars in the same form as the rest of their cage (I think the channel would look funny vertically as a C-Pillar). I see no reason why you couldn't run the Rock Hard C-Pillars with the EVO cage.

AdrockTT

PS cage def has the risk of squeeking. If you don't figure out how to reuse or otherwise tie in the windshield, that will shake (esp off-road). Much more custom work to get it perfect (def the hardest of the 3 cages you mention install wise).

RH has classic styling, matches OEM cage, I like/prefer the grab handle locations (which are included automatically), moderate install/fitment, fair cost, expandable parts for your application, and great customer service. Roll over proven.

The Evo cage is new and harder to get a ton of feedback on, given it's length of time on the market. Install looks similar (though I don't like cutting the sound bar). Nice it replaces the factory C pillar cross bar. Some like the square look (I personally prefer the round tubes/clamps). Visibility with the dash cross bar and handles looks marginally better (could be a big issue if you're short). Can add the RH C pillars if you don't mind the discrepancy in tube shapes for additional support. Untested in roll over, but prob does a similar job to RH.

All "sport cages" aren't really meant to be rolled over. Just there to help you survive (I have one). That said, only a full custom cage will really be designed for a roll (and might not total your Jeep in the process), though they come with the cost, compromises, high level install, and invasiveness into the cabin associated with a full cage. When you're going that route, should prob do seats/harnesses/padding/etc.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
The Evo cage is new and harder to get a ton of feedback on, given it's length of time on the market. Install looks similar (though I don't like cutting the sound bar).

I had posed a question to Eddie in another thread regarding the sound bar and whether the cuts affect the sound. Here's what he said:

I have not noticed a depreciation in sound but it should be noted, we had one of the few older cages installed. The design of the cage has since been changed and cutting of the sound bar will no longer be required.

I have all the possible options from the rockhard4x4 cage.. including front/rear harness bars and the C pillar. Other than the bar across the dash, nothing has ever got in my way. The bar across the dash could get in the way of your vision I supposed, not sure on the other brands but assume very similar. For the price, definitely worth it. It is nice how you can slowly build it by adding parts overtime too.

Top Bottom