I finally ordered my wontons

rogerk93

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered my Dana 60's yesterday. After a few months with my old job going to shit and finding something a littler better this past week I decided it was only right to treat myself to something I really wanted. Fair right? So I went with a front terra 60 their 5:38 superior gears Arb air locker semi float and the rear crd 60 matched with Adams 1350 drive shafts. I know I know why not dynatrac but simply because I am still on a tight budget and this made sense. I should get the axles in about 3 weeks and won't be able to sleep until I get them installed.
Just a few things that would help out like where should I mount my air lines, and if I install the arb compressor under the hood is there any drawbacks then under the front seat?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
I must have been mistaken as I thought wontons were a Chinese appetizer...:crazyeyes:

They are - Teraflex Wontons! ;)

Sorry Roger I couldn't help it

Plenty of guys have done both the underhood and under passenger seat compressor. The only thing I can think of that is bad about the underseat location is that it could potentially get wet during a deep, doorless water crossing.
Granted it'd have to be deep but theoretically possible. What are you doing for wheels?

Last edited:

rogerk93

Plenty of guys have done both the underhood and under passenger seat compressor. The only thing I can think of that is bad about the underseat location is that it could potentially get wet during a deep, doorless water crossing.
Granted it'd have to be deep but theoretically possible. What are you doing for wheels?

Lmaoo it's all good Jerry. Glad you got the joke with these Chinese axles.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug

I agree deep water could be an issue, but the arb compressor can be mounted under the vehicle in the elements. The only thing you would need to worry about for that install is having the air intakes protected where they wouldnt see water. I dont see how the cooling fan works if it gets wet but arb has thought about a lot.

I have mine under seat and I like it there, but if you have passengers a lot ( I dont) I could see it becoming a problem.

Congrats on the axles !

GraniteCrystal

I agree deep water could be an issue, but the arb compressor can be mounted under the vehicle in the elements. The only thing you would need to worry about for that install is having the air intakes protected where they wouldnt see water. I dont see how the cooling fan works if it gets wet but arb has thought about a lot.

I have mine under seat and I like it there, but if you have passengers a lot ( I dont) I could see it becoming a problem.

Congrats on the axles !
Can you elaborate on the passengers comment? Does it scare them when it turns on or something?

rogerk93

Congrats on the axles !

I see what your saying. I want to mount it under the hood but I've read it somewhere that the heat from the engine can cause it to fail or some crap like that.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I had the heat problem when I was running a smaller Viar compressor mounted on top of the brake booster, many guys run the twin on the more mount with no issues and I wouldnt be worried. I have never touched Steves after a day of wheeling but maybe he or someone else can chime in on what its like after a day out.

Ddays

Hooked
I see what your saying. I want to mount it under the hood but I've read it somewhere that the heat from the engine can cause it to fail or some crap like that.

Complete fallacy. ARB was at a product show I was at last year and they have a double compressor mounted with a MORE underhood mount on their company Jeep. Probably 98% of people mount theirs there.

Ddays

Hooked
I had the heat problem when I was running a smaller Viar compressor mounted on top of the brake booster, many guys run the twin on the more mount with no issues and I wouldnt be worried. I have never touched Steves after a day of wheeling but maybe he or someone else can chime in on what its like after a day out.

Running the lockers really doesn't heat them up at all. The only time I've seen them get really hot is when you;re airing up at the end of the day. Ryan melted his air hose that connects to the compressor last year. :crazyeyes:

rogerk93

Running the lockers really doesn't heat them up at all. The only time I've seen them get really hot is when you;re airing up at the end of the day. Ryan melted his air hose that connects to the compressor last year. :crazyeyes:

Damn..If it doesn't affect the use of the lockers then that works for me. I don't want to have to listen to that in the cab when running it. I already have a bunch of unknown noises I have to hear lol. Thanks guys.

Ddays

Hooked
Damn..If it doesn't affect the use of the lockers then that works for me. I don't want to have to listen to that in the cab when running it. I already have a bunch of unknown noises I have to hear lol. Thanks guys.

Nah, when it kicks the lockers in it only runs for a few seconds. If it runs longer than that you have a leak somewhere.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Congrats Rodger.

I must say tho I'm really surprised as to why you went with the cheap shit instead of saving just a little more and getting dynatracs or even curries. The price difference is so small I can't see why you went with the wontons.

As for the air compressor, mine has been under the hood for almost 3 full years now with only a minor issues. The heat and filling multiple sets of tires up at the end of the day has made me blow one of the 40A fuses once or twice but otherwise the compressor works great.

rogerk93

Congrats Rodger.

I must say tho I'm really surprised as to why you went with the cheap shit instead of saving just a little more and getting dynatracs or even curries. The price difference is so small I can't see why you went with the wontons.

As for the air compressor, mine has been under the hood for almost 3 full years now with only a minor issues. The heat and filling multiple sets of tires up at the end of the day has made me blow one of the 40A fuses once or twice but otherwise the compressor works great.

I agree with you but it had to go that way unfortunately. Those issues are small and not bad I think I can deal with that.

Top Bottom