Which Jeep would you go with? 2 options...

Devildog77

Hey guys, first time poster on this site. Have been reading a lot of your post and there tons of useful advice and experience here. I'm getting back into a Jeep after being in a truck for a couple years. I'm looking at 2 now and would just like to know what YOU would do if in my shoes.

One is a 2013 JKU Sport automatic with 50k miles. It's lifted with 35's and a few other goodies. The other is a 2008 JKU Rubicon 6 speed manual with 83k miles. It's also lifted with 35's. The Sport's obvious draw is the motor, and the '08 is obviously the fact that it's the Rubicon. If I go with the '08 I'll put 5.13's in it and roll it like that for 2-3 years then do an LS swap. If it's the Sport I'll throw some 4.88's and later upgrade to a 44 up front and probably upgrade the t-case. I'll be off-roading it 4-5 times a year and it'll be a mainly DD. Won't be going over 37's.

When most people post here, "What should I do?" they get slammed. So I'm asking, what would YOU do if you'd have the same choice? Thanks guys and look forward to hearing your thoughts!

(Posting from my phone and can't upload pics. I'll load a pic of each Jeep tomorrow.)

dwvninety

Welcome to WAL. Me personally I would go with the 2013 just for the motor. You can upgrade the front axle and the transfer case cheaper than going with the LS route for the 2008.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If you're thinking of doing an LS in a couple years it's sounds like you have some money to spend. I would get a new rubicon for $40k and go from there. Not sure I would consider either of the above unless the price was dirt cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Devildog77

Welcome to WAL. Me personally I would go with the 2013 just for the motor. You can upgrade the front axle and the transfer case cheaper than going with the LS route for the 2008.

The 2013 is my leading choice, just wanted to know if others had a different opinion. Appreciate it man!

PHX JK

If you're thinking of doing an LS in a couple years it's sounds like you have some money to spend. I would get a new rubicon for $40k and go from there. Not sure I would consider either of the above unless the price was dirt cheap.

That's about what I did and have no Regrets. The Whole LS thing can be very expensive and cause problems in some states
getting it smog legal
PHX

madstiles

At those prices depending on build specs I would pass and keep looking but I would feel less ripped off buying the 13 don't know your area but in Panama city Florida area they're cheaper buying stock then build how you want

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
We were in a similar situation when we bought ours last year. We ultimately went with a older one 2011, with higher mileage that was much cheaper. If the motor goes, we'll swap it out. But by doing this it gave us some left over money for the mods my wife wanted. It's her Jeep and she was able to put everything on it that she wanted rather quickly after buying it. With that being said, it spends most of the time on the pavement.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys. The '08 is $22,500 and the '13 is $29,900.

As between those two, the $7400 price difference pays a nice part of an LS swap, assuming you're thinking of a 5.3. Maybe go with the older rubi and do the swap now. Of course, if you're thinking a 6.2, then all bets are off.

Didn't read all the comments but just some.. and I agree. I would save the extra money and go new. But if had to choose between those two I would go with the 2013 JK.

BaddestCross

I would (and did) go with the Rubicon. Particularly if you plan on doing all those upgrades to the Sport and you're not planning on going hard core. The Rubi is super capable as is and, IMHO, the 3.8 isn't as bad as many make it out to be.

Draconianwinter

I well agree with overlander on this. Mainly because I have seen really well built rigs going for a bit 10k more and saw a 2015 jkur Hardrock with 15000 miles for 35k asst the dealership I bought my jkr from. Hell if I was going used I would go with this on be and have even less to worry about replacing. https://www.rockcrawlersforsale.com/autos/jeep/2012-jeep-wrangler-rock-crawler-1234.html

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKU Arizona

I was literally just debating this myself a few weeks ago after getting back from Moab. I have a 2008 JKUR that i was looking into trading in. I originally purchase it 2yrs ago with intent to also do an LS swap. Well after doing some research and talking to shops about it it's like a really expemsive upgrade. Also I live in Phoenix AZ and emissions regulations are all over the place here. If I was looking at a Non-Rubicon Jeep close to 30k I would just order a brand spanking new Sport to my liking, stock unmolested (half doors, no side airbags just the most basic Jeep) and add lift and tires mself. But if I was looking at a 20k rig that was ready for the trail I would go with the 08 Rubi. I love my 2008 3.8L, and I decided to keep it and keep wheeling it; Not trading it in. I've had some issue with it but nothing that I wasn't able to get fixed. What ever you decide to go with you'll love it on the trail, on the road well the 08 is going to make you hate it sometimes (specially if your loaded with gear and the family and your driving down the highway excited to be going for the first time to EJS and you hit a passing lane and you see a minivan in front of you going really slow and you try to pass it, your jeep is screaming high RPMs and it barely passes the mini van before the passing lane closes).

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

MTG

Caught the Bug

Looks like you plan to keep for a while and have money to spare...I'd go with the '13 if your buying used, but like Overland said consider buying new.

Last edited:

Devildog77

Thanks guys! New is really out of the question. Not saying it's not the best option, just not in the cards now (cough, divorce, cough)... I can get into one of these options for around $500/month and make gear changes then make some major changes when I get my feet back under me. And keep in mind, these are asking prices, not prices I would pay.

I really feel that the 2013 is the better fit for my current needs. I'll throw some 4.88s in it and do smaller mods (rock sliders, winch...) for the time being. PR44 and Transfer Case in a year or two. Thanks for your input guys. That's what's great about this forum, you definitely get a broad spectrum of suggestions!

The Grey one is the 2013, the Green on is the 2008. One side note, it looks like the '08 has a long arm lift which would lead me to believe it's been wheeled more. This strengthens my decision on getting the Grey 2013. Speculation of course...

s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

austin160

29900 isn't a horrible price with the mods, BUT for the same price you can get a base model sport and build to your specs. I bought a brand new 2016 for 28k plus tax, through on a set of Rubi axles with 4.88 and 37's. With the lift and handling some of the work myself I'm into it for 6300 in mods, minus the parts I sold off. Plus I'm not having to fix someone else's mistakes to make it the way I want it. I was in the same boat when I bought mine, found a used one for around the same price. Call a dealership and ask, maybe you will be surprised.

Devildog77

29900 isn't a horrible price with the mods, BUT for the same price you can get a base model sport and build to your specs. I bought a brand new 2016 for 28k plus tax, through on a set of Rubi axles with 4.88 and 37's. With the lift and handling some of the work myself I'm into it for 6300 in mods, minus the parts I sold off. Plus I'm not having to fix someone else's mistakes to make it the way I want it. I was in the same boat when I bought mine, found a used one for around the same price. Call a dealership and ask, maybe you will be surprised.

That's a great price for your set up. I'm assuming it's the Jeep in your profile pic? Awesome looking rig for sure! I'm keeping my options open for a few more weeks. I tend to be an impulse buyer, which is totally contradictory to the Jeeper lifestyle... right??

awdtsi

If I were you I'd keep looking. Expand your search radius and be patient. I got a 2015 JKU with all the options I wanted with 30k miles for $27.5k in Ohio last August. There are good deals out there you just have to hop on them quickly when they pop up. Craigslist and Autotrader are pretty good resources for finding slick deals.

Top Bottom